U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 01:41 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,087,581 times

Advertisements

Anyone familar with this model? If so how do you like it, is it reliable etc. I'm thinking about getting one. Hopefully a 2005 - 2006 model. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 PM

31,801 posts, read 72,810,270 times
Nothing like a Caddy...

1957 Cadillac Car Commercial - YouTube

Old 11-03-2011, 02:40 PM

14,781 posts, read 39,658,187 times
The STS is basically a stretched version of the CTS from the same years. They share virtually all of their hardware and engines, with the exception of the availability of the 4.6 NorthStar V8 in the STS. They are overall pretty reliable cars, but the model years (05-06) you are looking at are the ones known for the greatest number of issues. The NorthStar V8 also is known for some minor oil leak issues and other nagging problems throughout the model years. Overall, if you are interested in a STS, I would recommend sticking with one of the 2007+ V6 models.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:43 PM

5,558 posts, read 23,077,683 times
We found an exceptional deal on a 2007 model last year and spent a full day with the car. We liked it as it has decent driving dynamics, good features, finish, and warranty. In the end we did not buy it as the size, marginal fuel economy, and our lack of enthusiasm stopped us from spending.

I understand some of the early V8 models have had some long term maintenance issues. A later model or a V6 may be an excellent buy.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,523,298 times
The STS is very under-rated car in my opinion. It was based on the CTS platform, and looked similar, but people always compared it to the old front-wheel drive Seville, which also had an STS variant.

You could also get the supercharged STS-V .

Old 11-03-2011, 03:58 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,678,303 times
I have had a few as rentals, and a very good friend has had one for a few years. They have an '06 with the Northstar V8, and while it has had a couple of electrical gremlins, has proven to be pretty reliable, though admittedly it's not driven much as the vehicle is kept at a second home. My friend's wife has a tendency to leave the car running as well, with the keyless ignition, and because the car is quiet enough to not notice that it's running when parked outside or at the mall. She has never left it running in the garage, which is a good thing, or the CO alarm would sound in short order. They are no strangers to the Northstar, and debated getting a V6, but got a good deal on the V8, and their '06 has not had some of the previous Northstar issues. The V6 would be more reliable, though fuel economy is about the same for both engines.

ETA: I have not heard anything pro/con regarding the STS4, so I don't know if the AWD system is problematic. It would be an asset in snow, however, but in light/moderate snow I have never noticed a problem with the RWD with traction control.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-03-2011 at 04:06 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 05:11 PM

11,787 posts, read 15,274,916 times
I don't remember any oil leak problems with that version of the STS. All the ones I came across that were leaky were 2001 and earlier FWDs in the Devilles and Sevilles.

The STS never sold well and has a poor resale value, but most of them have bottomed out to the point where buying a 2005-2008 is an excellent buy. You get loads of buttons and features and RWD, good handling for somewhere around 20K depending on the year and miles.

The things I don't like:
1. The batteries are expensive and finnicky. The cars do not like being stored for a long time. They can drain in a week because of the vehicle's huge parasitic phantom drain.

2. The NAV/voice command system is slow and clunky. Cadillac packed a lot of tech into this car for a 2004 (when it came out) that lots of other cars didn't have, but the technology just wasn't quite there. Expect lots of frustration when using it because it depends on the speed of the DVD drive, wether or not the DVD or drive is scratched or dusty, wether or not you speak slowly and clearly and aren't congested, or wether or not the car is in a good mood or not. It just depends.

3. The car came with staggered tires which most people change anyway, but if you want the best handling and netural performance, you may want to change it back.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:28 PM

3,012 posts, read 3,932,195 times
Its a typical American Union Labor built car. Its not the best but its not as bad as a Chrysler. If I was looking to spend in the mid to upper 20K's I would be leaning more toward a Mercedes E350, BMW 535i or a comparable Lexus model. They are more reliable and retain far more of their resale value.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:34 PM

11,787 posts, read 15,274,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Its a typical American Union Labor built car.
No it isn't. It was built in GM's Cadillac only plant at Lansing which won awards for being among the best plants on the planet.

Quote:
If I was looking to spend in the mid to upper 20K's I would be leaning more toward a Mercedes E350, BMW 535i or a comparable Lexus model. They are more reliable and retain far more of their resale value.
Well, that's the point I addressed in my point. The big drop in value has already happened if you are in the market for a mid 20s 3+ year old luxury car. And the point is, what you would pay for a base model Benz or BMW in the upper 20s, you could have a loaded STS V8 for several thousands less. I do not believe either of those makes would be more reliable.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:36 PM

4,472 posts, read 16,325,257 times
Not a bad vehicle especially on the used market. Have you looked at the Cadillac DTS Performance Edition? Might be a little better value for the dollar and can be had for the same price.

VS

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC