U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:42 PM

510 posts, read 1,999,572 times

Advertisements

I found a few 93 Deville's on Craigslist for under $2000 and a few Sevilles for around $3500. Always wanted a caddy when I was younger but they were always so expensive.

What should I know about them?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:57 PM

886 posts, read 5,293,729 times
RUN FOR THE HILLS!!

There is a reason its cheap. They are an electrical nightmare!

Old 01-22-2012, 12:35 AM

373 posts, read 610,702 times
Fun cars if you are a mechanic and dont plan to pay anyone else to work on it.........and friend you will work on it if you plan to drive it.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:51 AM

630 posts, read 714,720 times
I bought a 94 SLS 3 years ago with 37000miles on her. I paid 3500 for the car but an old lady had let it sit for long periods and the vehicle had issues. Intitially I had to replace the ALT, Water pum and the PTCM or power train control module. The Nstar has several of these control mods that have gone bad on me and cost any where from 2 to 5 hundred dollars and a couple hours in and out. I had to replace the coomputer and a coil pack about a year ago at 1800 so that was a heavty repair. I think most of the problems were due to the car sitting. Thats why it had low miles and I got it at a good price. So total purchase price and repairs ive got about $6500 into the car and it runs really well now at 70000 miles. Its beeen some money and screwing around but the car is really comfrortable and now the Nstar snorts. I figure ive about broke even to this point and if I get 100000 miles out of the care with normal maintenance from here I will be way ahead. I had to commit to the car and repairs. I have a pretty good automotive background and was able to navigate the repairs.

I drive this car hard, commute wwith it do short road trip/vacations and im pretty happy with the way things have turned out. These cars can be body electrical nightmares and I wouldnt plan on working on the motor yourself unless you happen to be an experienced cadillac mechanic but overall this has been a better experinnce than making payments and carrrying the full coverage. I figure I am way ahead on that comparison and Im driving a pretty nice car with a strong motor and lots of options.

Its going to depend on you, I dont think you will find a caddy that old that you wont have to have it worked on. But if you keep up the repairs it can be a really nice ride

Old 01-22-2012, 12:04 PM

1,727 posts, read 3,549,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
I found a few 93 Deville's on Craigslist for under $2000 and a few Sevilles for around $3500. Always wanted a caddy when I was younger but they were always so expensive.

What should I know about them?

Thanks
Always liked the styling of the 89-93 DeVilles. The 4900 engine is pretty good. Finding Cadillac-specific parts and electricals might be a pain though. Lots of features for the time if you can find a loaded one. Also they have a great ride.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:23 PM

4,472 posts, read 16,401,472 times
Depends what you're looking at, for under $4000 you should be able to find a nice, older Caddy Deville with the 4.9L (decent engine). I'm not a fan of the late 80's Seville's but if you could find a 1992-1993 Seville (newer body style) with the 4.9L, I'd jump on it.

The Northstar isn't really a BAD engine, it just has expensive problems if they arise. My dad's owned Cadillac's since the 1970's and we've had plenty of Northstar-powered ones that haven't given us any trouble. The biggest item with ANY Northstar is that they consume oil like none other, do NOT wait until a scheduled oil change to check the oil. The Northstar is infamous for cracking headgaskets but this can be EASILY prevented if owners would check their oil level every thousand miles or so and add more if needed. Too many rely on the computer diagnostics and it can cause the car to overheat and thus crack the gaskets.

Cadillac's are fine vehicles and are a bargain on the used market. They're fairly expensive to have repaired by a mechanic but not nearly as expensive as a Mercedes or BMW.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:40 PM

630 posts, read 714,720 times
I agree with the oil issue on the Nstar. Apparently they had to make this motor taller because of its unique configuration. So they put a plate accross the bottome of the motor (when i look a the cross =section of this motor in the manual it is a complicated mess). Anyway from what I understand because of this sub-block or whatever you want to call they have problems with the nuts on the oil pan gasket working loose and oil leaks.

I read one fix where the guy pulled the oil pan bolts one at a time, cleaned the bolt hole with carb cleaner, the nut and then retouqued the nut with locktite on it and that fixed the leak for good. I take mine to a small repair shop for an oil change once or twice a year and they snug the bolts for me. But I go through about a 1.5 quarts between oil changes

Old 01-22-2012, 05:05 PM

510 posts, read 1,999,572 times
I guess ill pass

Old 01-22-2012, 05:29 PM

4,472 posts, read 16,401,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
I guess ill pass
Remember, take all advice with a grain of salt. If you really want a Caddy, I wouldn't say to find something else just because of a few issues. Every car will have problems, none are completely flawless. It's just good to be aware of problems you may encounter.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:50 PM

9,365 posts, read 7,843,804 times
They are American made, so they're garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC