U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 AM

1,934 posts, read 4,482,977 times

Advertisements

I have a 1996 Silverado 3500 with the 6.5L turbo diesel. It has about 207,000 miles and to the best of my knowledge has never had a transmission rebuild. It gives no indication of needing one anytime soon, but these things don't last forever. So I have a couple of questions:

1) When the transmission does go, what can I expect to pay for a rebuild if I get it done at a shop?

2) I've heard that a starter replacement job on one of those trucks is really expensive because the transmission has to be moved. Assuming I'm already getting the transmission rebuilt, how much extra should it cost me to get the starter replaced at the same time?

If it helps, I imagine that anyone who has experienced this with a 1995 - 2000 Silverado / Sierra 2500 or 3500 should be able to give me accurate information due to this being the year range for this body style.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 04:59 PM

4,622 posts, read 3,137,771 times

Old 07-15-2012, 09:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
39,371 posts, read 70,636,382 times
I'w ould expect to pay more than that, having had 3 over the last 10 years on smaller (6 cylinder) transmissions the least I paid was on a 4Runner $3,200.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'w ould expect to pay more than that, having had 3 over the last 10 years on smaller (6 cylinder) transmissions the least I paid was on a 4Runner $3,200.
Its a GM, not a toyota and they are much more plentiful.
Brand new from GM is 2400 bucks, plus install.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 AM

886 posts, read 5,438,776 times
You can find rebuilt 4L80E's for $1600 or so. Then you have the cost of removal and install. so you looking around 2500-3000 depending on shop rate.

I don't know who told you that you have to remove the transmission to change the starter but they were blowing smoke up your a$$.

There is a bracket on the front of the starter that is a bugger to get to but other than that it is a straight forward job.

They might have been referring to the flex plate. The transmission does have to be removed for that.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 PM

Most GM transmissions I've ever had to get rebuilt didn't cost much more than $1,000. Of course, those were from a 1972 Cadillac and a 1976 Oldsmobile (TH400 3-speed automatic), a 1967 Buick Skylark (Dynaflow 2-speed automatic converted to TH350 3-speed automatic), and a 1990 Camaro IROC-Z (4-speed automatic with overdrive- cost about $1,000 to get one from a junkyard and have it installed).

What causes the cost to be so much higher for my Silverado's transmission? Is it just because the transmission is of the heavy-duty type? One would think that just means the parts would be larger and stronger... ultimately, automatic transmissions always work about the same way.

Frankly, I'd like to install a manual transmission if my automatic ever dies. Any of y'all know how easy that would be?

Old 07-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Most GM transmissions I've ever had to get rebuilt didn't cost much more than $1,000. Of course, those were from a 1972 Cadillac and a 1976 Oldsmobile (TH400 3-speed automatic), a 1967 Buick Skylark (Dynaflow 2-speed automatic converted to TH350 3-speed automatic), and a 1990 Camaro IROC-Z (4-speed automatic with overdrive- cost about $1,000 to get one from a junkyard and have it installed).

What causes the cost to be so much higher for my Silverado's transmission? Is it just because the transmission is of the heavy-duty type? One would think that just means the parts would be larger and stronger... ultimately, automatic transmissions always work about the same way.

Frankly, I'd like to install a manual transmission if my automatic ever dies. Any of y'all know how easy that would be?
The 4L80E in a Silverado is essentially a Turbo400 with overdrive, better converter, lock up in the 4th for OD, and some electronics to control. Parts are more than those old 3 speeds.
I just had a 700R4 rebuilt, it cost 1700 dollars due to parts and rebuiding the converter. I benched the transmission and reinstalled it myself.
Parts are just more expensive as is labor..

Old 07-19-2012, 05:23 PM

Steve, this may be a bit off subject but you seem to know about this stuff... or, frankly, anyone else can answer this also... about how expensive and difficult would it be to swap the rear differential in my truck? There were two axle ratios that year and mine has the lower ratio that makes the engine spin faster at speed. One would think it would save on gas and engine wear if I had the other ratio, but if I have to spend a thousand bucks just to get ten more miles on every tank of gas, it wouldn't be worth it.

If that's not feasible, can the transmissions be rebuilt with different gear ratios so that the engine runs at different speeds for different vehicle speeds? If that can be done, is it advisable?

Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 PM

37,813 posts, read 23,638,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I know people that have had ones in GM front drives rebuilt, they were $2200-$2600. Not suprised you paid more on the Toyo, everything is more expensive. I've been told that a trans rebuild on a Nissan Xterra (which I have) can run $4-5k. Yikes. Someone is out of their damned mind.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Steve, this may be a bit off subject but you seem to know about this stuff... or, frankly, anyone else can answer this also... about how expensive and difficult would it be to swap the rear differential in my truck? There were two axle ratios that year and mine has the lower ratio that makes the engine spin faster at speed. One would think it would save on gas and engine wear if I had the other ratio, but if I have to spend a thousand bucks just to get ten more miles on every tank of gas, it wouldn't be worth it.

If that's not feasible, can the transmissions be rebuilt with different gear ratios so that the engine runs at different speeds for different vehicle speeds? If that can be done, is it advisable?
The gears in the rearend can be changed. Depends on what Differential you have, but look at about 1000 bucks. But, it may be easier to find one in a salvage yard. It takes a few hours to swap, and the hardest part is the rear brakes generally need to be bled again. This you can do for 2-3 hundred bucks. Just have to make sure it is the same rearend (Dana 60 should be what you have) and then you have to have your speedometer recalibrated. That is a imple program change for 100 bucks if you send yours in. You can research ECM/PCM tuners on truck forums or google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC