Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:43 PM

691 posts, read 1,422,040 times

Advertisements

Yep, when pulling into the driving tonight I got a nice surprise when I went to turn the car off. The ignition won't budge and I couldn't turn the car off. Had to disconnect a bunch of relays to get it to shut off, but at least it happened in my driveway and not tomorrow morning at work.

Anyone know anything about this? I know some GM's had problems with the tumbler seizing but thats usually when they are off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 04:57 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,605,326 times
What year is the car? I doubt its related but does juggling the steering wheel help? I know sometimes the steering.g wheel lock gets a little wired with ignition lock on older cars.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-13-2012, 10:23 AM

9,611 posts, read 21,135,113 times
Why did you "disconnect a bunch of relays" rather than just unhooking the negative battery cable?

Your first problem is that it's a Chevy Celebrity.

The second problem is that it's probably just in a bind. Wiggle the steering column, rock the car back and forth, run the gearshift selector up and down a few times, it will eventually work free. You might try spraying a little dry lube in there, as well.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,605,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Why did you "disconnect a bunch of relays" rather than just unhooking the negative battery cable?

The second problem is that it's probably just in a bind. Wiggle the steering column, rock the car back and forth, run the gearshift selector up and down a few times, it will eventually work free. You might try spraying a little dry lube in there, as well.
I have seen cars run with no batteries. Once its running its primariy power source is the alternator. Then the battery just takes a recharge and is used as a capicator to help stabilize the electrical system of the car.

The only relay I see doing anything is the fuel pump. I just block the intake and starve the engine for air and stall it.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I have seen cars run with no batteries. Once its running its primariy power source is the alternator. Then the battery just takes a recharge and is used as a capicator to help stabilize the electrical system of the car.
Good point. I was thinking of the time my starter solenoid wouldn't disengage.

In the "good old days" we would have just pulled the coil wire.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:26 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,379,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post
Yep, when pulling into the driving tonight I got a nice surprise when I went to turn the car off. The ignition won't budge and I couldn't turn the car off. Had to disconnect a bunch of relays to get it to shut off, but at least it happened in my driveway and not tomorrow morning at work.

Anyone know anything about this? I know some GM's had problems with the tumbler seizing but thats usually when they are off.
You admit to driving a Celebrity?!
You have a Celebrity and it was actually running?!
And it broke down?
I'm still in shock at the first two.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You admit to driving a Celebrity?!
You have a Celebrity and it was actually running?!
And it broke down?
I'm still in shock at the first two.
They are actually good cars. I see them everywhere around here. I owned two over the last 5 years (the other is my brothers now) and neither one have ever left me stranded up until now. One of them got hit by a big tree and all that happened was that the trunk got dented. Guess what, its still on the road today. The Chevrolet Cruze that was next to it got totaled. They are a lot better than the plastic pieces of crap that are on the road today. And parts are dirt cheap for them too.

I noticed the only people who bash these GMs are people who have never owned one. Why do you have to bash it for?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

I knew I'd get predictable comments like this one. Have you ever owned one before? Any like someone else posted, the car still ran off of the alternator.

The second problem is that it's probably just in a bind. Wiggle the steering column, rock the car back and forth, run the gearshift selector up and down a few times, it will eventually work free. You might try spraying a little dry lube in there, as well.[/quote]

It has nothing to do with the steering wheel lock. The ignition is seized in the run mode; I'm guessing the tumbler in the culprit.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the steering wheel lock. The ignition is seized in the run mode; I'm guessing the tumbler in the culprit.
I didn't say anything about the steering wheel lock, did I? In understood your problem perfectly. The key is stuck in the "on" position, which means the tumbler is in a bind. Very common problem in older cars with a lot of miles, my van does it a couple of times a week. Usually wiggling the key takes care of it, sometimes I have to rock the car.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:01 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,562,196 times
Quote:
I knew I'd get predictable comments like this one. Have you ever owned one before? Any like someone else posted, the car still ran off of the alternator.

It has nothing to do with the steering wheel lock. The ignition is seized in the run mode; I'm guessing the tumbler in the culprit.[/quote]

Take your question to a Chevy board with real enthusiasts. Although there are a few guys who know their stuff here, this "automotive" forum is the laughingstock of all automotive forums on the interwebs.

Anyway, sounds like something in the ignition cylinder got in a bind as you suspected. I've done this job on an old Ford, but IIRC needed to drill out old screws w/ an extractor bit and and installed new ones with a Torx security socket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC