Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:38 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,418,228 times

Advertisements

The engine has over 80000 miles on it.

I usually use conventional oil. 10w40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 03:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Do not change to synthetic after years of organic oil. You are asking for leaks.

In general synthetic si somewhat better if oyu can afford it, but you need to use it form the start. Changing can ause problems. Not always, but frequently enought that I would not do it at that age.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,418,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Do not change to synthetic after years of organic oil. You are asking for leaks.

In general synthetic si somewhat better if oyu can afford it, but you need to use it form the start. Changing can ause problems. Not always, but frequently enought that I would not do it at that age.
So as long as I keep up on my oil change with convetional every 3-4000 miles. I'll be alrigbt?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:26 PM

805 posts, read 1,870,922 times
Go with synthetic. I think its a myth changing "causes" problems.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
The engine has over 80000 miles on it.

I usually use conventional oil. 10w40
Use whatever you want to use. Change your oil and filter regularly. That's the bottom line. Don't let anyone tell you any different.

That said, my advice would be this:
- If it burns or leaks any oil at all, do NOT use synthetic. It's more expensive, and it will leak worse than dino oil.
- If it does NOT burn or leak any oil, synthetic is a decent option. It costs more, but lasts longer.
- If you put a LOT of miles on this vehicle, that tips the scale toward synthetic a bit more.

In the end, it's really up to you - what you want to do.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Go with synthetic. I think its a myth changing "causes" problems.
Not 100% true. Syn oils will always super clean the carbon out of the inside of an engine which can lead to one hell'va oil burner! There really is no other reason not to switch to syn oil in a high mile engine but that's more than enough!!!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Unless you have a vehicle operated in an extreme cold weather climate where the flow characteristics of a synthetic oil may come into value on start-up, there's no long-term benefit over quality dino juice oils in this vehicle.

What you may gain in an extended oil-change interval with the synthetic will be offset by the increased cost of the oil over dino oils.

With 80,000 miles already on this engine, it isn't going to preserve it any better to change over to synthetic oil now, and the risks of creating seeps on aged seals is there, too.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
switch if you want, or stay with the oil you are using now. if you switch, and get leaks, its because the leaks were there already just plugged up with junk. synthetic oils tend to clean the engines internals quite well. personally i would stick with what you are doing now and leave the synthetics on the shelf.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
It's up to you, since conventional oil has worked fine for you. Since you replace the oil around 3,400 miles, using synthetic oil would be a waste of money. But if using synthetic costs about the same as the conventional oil you have been using, then I don't see a problem with using synthetic.

The leak problems associated with synthetic oil has already been solved. For example, if you want to use Mobil 1 5W-30 all year long, instead of using the regular Mobil 1 synthetic, use the "extended miles" one. This one has been designed for motors that have a lot of miles of use, and addresses the former leak problems.

That said, the motor does not care which one of the two oils you use. All synthetic oils have over conventional oil is the ability to handle extreme temperature ranges past the point conventional oils can.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:44 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Both these are spot on and there is no proof it will last any longer using synthetic oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Use whatever you want to use. Change your oil and filter regularly. That's the bottom line. Don't let anyone tell you any different.

That said, my advice would be this:
- If it burns or leaks any oil at all, do NOT use synthetic. It's more expensive, and it will leak worse than dino oil.
- If it does NOT burn or leak any oil, synthetic is a decent option. It costs more, but lasts longer.
- If you put a LOT of miles on this vehicle, that tips the scale toward synthetic a bit more.

In the end, it's really up to you - what you want to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Unless you have a vehicle operated in an extreme cold weather climate where the flow characteristics of a synthetic oil may come into value on start-up, there's no long-term benefit over quality dino juice oils in this vehicle.

What you may gain in an extended oil-change interval with the synthetic will be offset by the increased cost of the oil over dino oils.

With 80,000 miles already on this engine, it isn't going to preserve it any better to change over to synthetic oil now, and the risks of creating seeps on aged seals is there, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC