Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The cruze diesel version being sold in the US is over priced, has terrible fuel economy and doesn't offer a stick. I'll pass. The 1.4 turbo is both cheaper to buy and cheaper to fuel per mile.

GM really screwed the pooch on this one. They should have offered the 1.7/6spd they sell in the rest of the world. Never under estimate GM's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victor
It isn't being sold in the US yet. It also has about the same MPG rating as a VW Jetta. I'd buy a GM product any day over anything from VW over reliability issues alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingen View Post
In Europe we have a majority of cars powered by diesel. And believe me, they create a huge pollution problem. By far worse than anything gasoline causes. The US should by all means avoid this.
A big part of why you see so few diesel cars in the US is because they have to meet the same emissions requirements as gasoline vehicles. This has proven to be technically difficult and expensive.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
In Europe we have a majority of cars powered by diesel. And believe me, they create a huge pollution problem. By far worse than anything gasoline causes. The US should by all means avoid this.
But I thought that the new requirements, at least in the US meant that the diesels being sold now are fairly clean? The concern in the US was over not just CO2 emissions, but NOX and particulate matter emissions. The current lineup of diesels both use forms of after-exhaust treatments like Uria injection and so on. I know for fact that in California, you couldn't buy a new VW TDI until a few years later when the newer ones they now sell meet those regulations, which the upcoming Cruze diesel will as well.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
...I know for fact that in California, you couldn't buy a new VW TDI until a few years later when the newer ones they now sell meet those regulations, which the upcoming Cruze diesel will as well.
And the end to yet another great business venture for those who would buy a new Diesel and run it 2,000 miles so it could be sold into CA

Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Yes the reduction of NOX, SOX and soot particles are of concern.

Just a FYI, not one diesel that has been sold in the US scene 07 when the new reg came out meets the EPA's regulations, not one.
They had to buy credits or some such thing to get around the epa regs so they could be sold in the US.

Quote:
But I thought that the new requirements, at least in the US meant that the diesels being sold now are fairly clean? The concern in the US was over not just CO2 emissions, but NOX and particulate matter emissions. The current lineup of diesels both use forms of after-exhaust treatments like Uria injection and so on. I know for fact that in California, you couldn't buy a new VW TDI until a few years later when the newer ones they now sell meet those regulations, which the upcoming Cruze diesel will as well.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
The only reason America doesn't get some models , or complete car lines, to sell here is........ federal emission testing and certification.

This process is long , costly and very involved for each and every car that is sold in America. Because it is so costly to get a EPA approval for each car model they make manufactures can't afford to make all the cars they build worldwide available in America. Sad, but very true.............
And this is a big reason why I was car-free for a number of years and might go that route again real shortly.
The lack of any real choices when it comes to manual transmission and small Diesel options, along with 4x4 relegate the rest of us to the "used and questionable reliability" market.
I definitely agree about the super-sized pickup thing as well.
5-6 speed manual with a 4x4 and Cummins sounds good, but when it's nearly the size of a semi-tractor, no thanks.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,687 times
Quote:
It isn't being sold in the US yet. It also has about the same MPG rating as a VW Jetta. I'd buy a GM product any day over anything from VW over reliability issues alone.
They're both garbage. I wouldn't buy either especially not for $26k or whatever the asking price is. I'll stick to the reliable diesels I already own thank you very much.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Because

1) federal emissions testing
2) The FMVSS doesn't match Euro standards
3) 2.5% duty on imported vehicles

Without those imposing barriers to entry, manufacturers could produce more niche products (ute, compact pickup, wagon, etc.) and still make a profit by selling small numbers of the same vehicle in many countries.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
They're both garbage. I wouldn't buy either especially not for $26k or whatever the asking price is. I'll stick to the reliable diesels I already own thank you very much.
Cruze is highly rated, reliability-wise.
Thank you as well.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,687 times
Quote:
Cruze is highly rated, reliability-wise.
Thank you as well.

LOL please stop embarrassing yourself. The Cruze a POS rental car for suckers who don't know any better.Its down there with the VW garbage.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC