Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 11:49 AM

216 posts, read 564,703 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Florida but looking to head back to New England next spring. Have been shopping around for a truck and I have to admit, there are a few nice ones here in the south. As a lifelong Chevy/GMC owner, I recently posted about Dodge Rams. Good trucks, have to admit, but I'm still drawn to that Chevy, except for one thing, possibility of rust! I had a 1999 Silverado Ext Cab up north that was a rust bucket. Started with the rockers on the 3rd door, spread to cab corners, then on to the bed quarters. Even my rear shock mounts rotted away. Everything was rusty underneath also. I never owned a vehicle in my life that did that, except for my 82 Toyota SR-5 pickup (that was expected). Anyway, all the 98-99-00-01 chevy/GMC trucks here have no rust. I'm just worried as soon as it get's in that New England weather, forget it. I know those model years are really bad for rust, every truck I saw up north was rusted. Anyone know why? When or what years did it change or did it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 02:41 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
Currently living in Florida but looking to head back to New England next spring. Have been shopping around for a truck and I have to admit, there are a few nice ones here in the south. As a lifelong Chevy/GMC owner, I recently posted about Dodge Rams. Good trucks, have to admit, but I'm still drawn to that Chevy, except for one thing, possibility of rust! I had a 1999 Silverado Ext Cab up north that was a rust bucket. Started with the rockers on the 3rd door, spread to cab corners, then on to the bed quarters. Even my rear shock mounts rotted away. Everything was rusty underneath also. I never owned a vehicle in my life that did that, except for my 82 Toyota SR-5 pickup (that was expected). Anyway, all the 98-99-00-01 chevy/GMC trucks here have no rust. I'm just worried as soon as it get's in that New England weather, forget it. I know those model years are really bad for rust, every truck I saw up north was rusted. Anyone know why? When or what years did it change or did it? Thanks.
Salt, add water and you have a perfect mix for rust.

Car Rust Protection: How to Prevent Rust on a Car - CarsDirect

Auto Body Repair Technology - James E. Duffy, Robert Scharff - Google Books

Protecting Your Investment | Autobody Xperts

Old 11-09-2013, 03:41 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post

What is the difference? If you are starting with a 13-16 year old truck to begin with then it rusts out in 5 years then you have a 18-21 year old beater truck.....

You should buy the newest, nicest you can afford and take care of it the best of your ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC