Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 02:18 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,428,929 times

Advertisements

For my 1990 GMC Suburban V1500 350. What best Longtube Headers should I choose?

What is the best Longtube Headers and Pipe size should I choose(along with Header size) for best low and high speed Torque(especially on the road endurance).

My engine is a Small Block 350 V8 5.7 liters.

Also, what is the best Flowmaster(or any) Muffler for a deep and/or rumbling sound?

One more thing, what is the advantages of an X-Pipe and do I need some or no backpressure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times
Whatever headers you choose get a quality set. Thick flanges and complete with collectors good gaskets etc. 2 1/2 exhaust should be plenty if dual and a single 3 inch.
I've heard both arguments about cross over x pipe.
As for Flowmaster mufflers meh. Just freaking noisy. Annoying as heck on a long drive. Borla makes a great exhaust without the annoying loudness. I went with a Borla on my old Gmc with a 350. Little louder than stock but not super loud.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:27 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,636,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
For my 1990 GMC Suburban V1500 350. What best Longtube Headers should I choose?

What is the best Longtube Headers and Pipe size should I choose(along with Header size) for best low and high speed Torque(especially on the road endurance).

My engine is a Small Block 350 V8 5.7 liters.

Also, what is the best Flowmaster(or any) Muffler for a deep and/or rumbling sound?

One more thing, what is the advantages of an X-Pipe and do I need some or no backpressure?
How much is your budget? You can spend less than 150 on a set (painted steel) or close to a 1000 on a set of stainless steel ceramic coated ones. You can try giving the tech people at Hedman, Hooker or Flowtech a call. Tell them your application and what your looking for as far as power and torque. I'm sure they have dyno specs on every model of headers they sell. If the motors not built, your going to find that most stock headers for the 350 are probable going to be around 1 3/4" tubes. For the crossover pipe, you can go to the track and hear 100 different opinions on why you should or shouldn't run one. Many will say that equalizing the backpressure helps more with scavaging and that means more power. Some will say the system sounds better with it, some will say not. I have Flowmasters on my 340 Duster with an X pipe and headers and like the sound. The exhaust note is not bad at idle or on easy acceleration and they get pretty loud when I get into it. I have friends with 340's that prefer Magnaflow's or Flowtech's. Good luck to you.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:58 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,758,242 times
Check these out.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...rder=Ascending

Old 02-19-2014, 08:30 PM

269 posts, read 535,689 times
Hooker super comps. Don't get cheap ones. Also, don't get too big primaries definitely nothing over 1 7/8". For your application you want torque to move that heavy truck so you're not going to have to move massive amounts of air due to high rpm's. Select cam/intake wisely for your application. X-pipe is fine or not. Mufflers are personal choice. Any high flow/low restriction will work but sound will vary a lot. Check out some other setups first if you can. Otherwise Magnaflow is a good sounding muffler but sound is very personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC