Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 08:53 PM

8 posts, read 33,733 times

Advertisements

1991 Chevy Caprice 5.0L - A/C Controls Question
I am in the slow process of restoring this car ( belonged to my late Father ) . The A/C is one of those chores .

The controls have a bottom lever that goes from cool to heat . I think this has a mechanical cable that operates a blend door ?

There is a vacuum operated " hot coolant " valve , under the hood . I am guessing it is also operated by the bottom lever ?

Looking at a diagram of the control unit shows a double hose that , if I recall , is labeled as going to a water valve .

When I move the bottom lever , I hear a noise that sounds like it may be a blend door opening and closing . So , at least the blend door may be working correctly .

There is also an upper lever on the control unit that goes from max A/C on the left to defrost on the right . It seems , no matter what position that lever is in , part of the air is coming out the defrost vent & part coming out the dash A/C vents . Some may also be coming out the bottom heater vent ? Have not checked .

So , this control is not working properly .

The diagram of the control unit shows a 5 hose connection , which I figure are 5 vacuum hoses ?

Before I start messing inside and under the dash , I wish to verify that I truly do have good vacuum going to the control unit . Does anyone have a drawing / diagram if the vacuum system for this car ? And I would appreciate info on where the source vacuum line for the A/C controls , plug in to receive engine vacuum ?

Any other info or tips would be much appreciated . :-)

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC