Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,330,228 times

Advertisements

I must admit that to me, the new Malibu is something to take a serious look at. The redesign of the interior along with the new power -

Might be in our future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 02:00 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,050,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
You are wrong here. Most Japanese cars are manufactured in the US as well.
ASSEMBLED and PRODUCED are two different things.

Fact is, American car companies have a much larger amount of their content originating here in the USA via sub or cottage companies.

Not to mention having corporate profits stay in the US is not a bad thing.

American cars, GM specifically are and have turned the corner. Hybrids are a farse and a "feel good" purchase. Do your research.

Anyone see the episode of Dream Car Garage where they took a C6 Z06 on the autobahn? Peter Klutt got out of it with the car still climbing HARD at 186mph. Porche my @ss! is what he said in so many words. And the SOUND of the thing!

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Acceleration Video

Old 01-19-2008, 09:49 AM

68,364 posts, read 54,583,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Not sure of your point but reliability has nothing to do with assembly (or at least shouldn't) it has everything to do with engineering. Americans don't engineer these Japanese cars.

Assembly shouldn't have anything to do with reliability? How do you figure that? Do you really believe you can assemble a vehicle with poor welds, incorrectly torqued fasteners, poorly constructed wiring harnesses, etc. and end up with a reliable vehicle?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:03 PM

609 posts, read 2,247,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
ASSEMBLED and PRODUCED are two different things.

Fact is, American car companies have a much larger amount of their content originating here in the USA via sub or cottage companies.

Not to mention having corporate profits stay in the US is not a bad thing.

American cars, GM specifically are and have turned the corner. Hybrids are a farse and a "feel good" purchase. Do your research.

Anyone see the episode of Dream Car Garage where they took a C6 Z06 on the autobahn? Peter Klutt got out of it with the car still climbing HARD at 186mph. Porche my @ss! is what he said in so many words. And the SOUND of the thing!

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Acceleration Video

I would rather buy a car ASSEMBLED in the US but with parts coming from Japan. That way it will last me longer (less waste in the environment), not hurt my pocket and less to maintain. A colleague of mine was telling me the story of the Camry he purchased in 1990. 200,000 miles later he gifted the car to his nephew. He said he had not done any major work on the car and at the time he gifted his car, it was is great running condition. He also mentioned that he predominantly lived in the snow belt (Northeast) with a few trips to the south (a few years in the Atlanta area).

I have heard many such stories from Honda and Toyota owners. Its just that I haven't heard that many stories from American car owners (i am sure there are a few here and there but for Japanese cars it is almost like a norm).

Old 01-24-2008, 07:58 PM

5,777 posts, read 11,442,533 times
We had a visitor at work who was driving a new 08 Malibu rental car. He took us out for lunch and I rode in one for the first time. Seems like a nice car, very quiet and nice seats in front. Odd thing is it seems almost the same size as the Impala. I don't know why Chevy is building two traditional 4 dr passenger sedans that are so close in size. The V6 Impala has an engine that is almost the same as the v6 Malibu.
I would think Chevy would try to build a good 4 cyl economy compact car some day to replace the Cobalt. I had a Cobalt for a rental car and it was just plain lousy, especially the uncomfortable front seats.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:01 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,234,276 times
Quote:
Here let me help you out a little. Try this:

"Congratulations to GM and Chevy. Two 'car of the year' awards in one model year. What an accomplishment from the horrid vehicles they were putting out just 10 years ago. I am glad an American company is finally rising to the occasion."

thank you, my thoughts exactly, atleast visually, were starting to catch up, i saw one on the street last time, pretty nice looking, not too bad on the eyes.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:39 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,583,005 times
Quote:
From 2002:

"Consumer Reports Finds Improved Reliability in Hyundai, GM & Volvo Models- Toyota Drops"
If an auto's previous reliability was poor, you can only get better. Just saying the reliability has improved, does not say how reliable the cars are... just that they have improved.

Quote:
From 2005: "Asian auto brands' reliability uneven

Chevy Monte Carlo, Mercury Mariner SUV rank among most dependable in Consumer Reports survey."
Does Consumer Reports send out surveys to subscribers of their magazine only? We have subscribed for over 10 years and prior to that, I have never seen a survey from them. You have to remember, they can only report findings from those who actually return the survey.

Quote:
From 2007: (Edmunds)

"Top 5 most reliable cars
1. Buick
1. Lexus
3. Cadillac
4. Mercury
5. Honda"

See a trend here?

The trend may be the respondants to the survey(s) are the people who's cars did not give them trouble. Hence, they kept the cars and are happy with them.
Those who were not happy with their cars, may have already traded them in.
I'm just saying there are intangibles for any survey.

We subscribe to Consumer Reports, so I read their Auto reports regularly. Still, its going to be an uphill battle for American automakers to win back American trust.

I am on my 3rd Honda. I currently drive an 03 Honda Accord with 220K miles on it and never had ANY problems. I haven't even changed the brakes. I live rural and commute long distances with rare city driving.

It would be great if American autos make a comeback. I hope they do.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:57 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,883,353 times
Quote:
Odd thing is it seems almost the same size as the Impala. I don't know why Chevy is building two traditional 4 dr passenger sedans that are so close in size. The V6 Impala has an engine that is almost the same as the v6 Malibu.
The new Impala or Impala replacement will probably be larger as well. that seems to be the trend right now, despite fuel prices. Sure, drive trains are more fuel efficient now, but the larger cars they put them in offset that.

Quote:
from 2002:

"Consumer Reports Finds Improved Reliability in Hyundai, GM & Volvo Models- Toyota Drops"

From 2005:

"Asian auto brands' reliability uneven

Chevy Monte Carlo, Mercury Mariner SUV rank among most dependable in Consumer Reports survey."

From 2007: (Edmunds)

"Top 5 most reliable cars
1. Buick
1. Lexus
3. Cadillac
4. Mercury
5. Honda"

See a trend here?

Why would you not want a company in your country that employs tens of thousands directly and tens of thousands indirect not doing well?
I pretty sure those are "initial quality" surveys at least in the case of Consumer Reports, meaning only the first 90 days of ownership. If you can't make a car last 90 days, get out of the business.

If it isn't the first 90 days, it gets very difficult to study how well a vehicle lasts over the span of ten years. A lot of people just keep their cars for the time they are paying on them, if not sooner. I'm a mechanic, so I may be biased, and this next thing is often an oxymoron, but ask a good, honest mechanic what the best car to buy would be. When I say "honest", I'm talking about someone who not only is honest in the way they do business, but also in the way they look at cars. There's a lot of guys in my field who are "American Only" types. It's not me, but I can respect that.

I work in a transmission shop. I see MANY more 2004-on American cars than I do Japanese.
I mostly just work on transmissions, so I can't speak for the other aspects of reliability, but the American car company's transmissions are several years behind that of the rest of the industry. They've finally been playing catch-up the last 1-2 years... by using foreign transmissions in their vehicles... in a lot of cases, anyway.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:21 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,583,005 times
I watched the Edmunds "Consumer Comparison" videos of the 6 people who drove/compared the Camry, Honda, and the Malibu.

It is surprising how well Malibu did. I just might have to test drive the Malibu and see for myself.

As for the two females who picked the Malibu, the one lady made me roll my eyes when she stated the interior features like XM radio and the dials and panels of the Malibu look more upscale than did the Accords.

Huh?

I don't pick a car based on the radio, the panels, or the moon roof etc. I can remember a car salesman pointing to those two features once. I told him I don't want a moon roof and the radio is the least important feature.

I am also surprised almost all the respondants ranked the Camry last.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:41 AM

26 posts, read 127,136 times
GM has come a long way in the past couple years. Malibu has a new engine and is flex-fuel. Its till not as good as they could get it, but is well on its way. I would consider one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC