Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 07:29 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times

Advertisements

Im looking at a used 2013 Chevy Caprice PPV in my area to purchase. It has 73,000 miles on it. Does anyone have information about them? Are they good cars? Reasonable price ranges? Are they reliable? I know they aren't sold to the public so finding them can be quite rare and if you do find one its a PPV. Any of you familiar with these cars? Please share and Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 06:25 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
It is the Australian Senator which is a lengthened Commodore/G8/SS. 6.0 liter version hopefully. Enjoy the car.

Body, Interior and electrical parts may be overly expensive in a few years if production nos. are low. Otherwise sound vehicles.

Last edited by Felix C; 08-13-2015 at 07:37 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 07:35 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Im looking at a used 2013 Chevy Caprice PPV in my area to purchase. It has 73,000 miles on it. Does anyone have information about them? Are they good cars? Reasonable price ranges? Are they reliable? I know they aren't sold to the public so finding them can be quite rare and if you do find one its a PPV. Any of you familiar with these cars? Please share and Thank you!
Some did get sold to the public, but not that many.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:08 AM

9,878 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Funny as I saw this Caprice for sale in MA - only 150, yes 150, miles:

Used 2013 Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle For Sale | Wakefield MA

Old 08-13-2015, 08:29 AM

302 posts, read 1,155,955 times
It is an Australian built vehicle by GM's Holden division.

Those 73,000 miles are most likely hard miles. Only 2 years old and that many miles, it may have been in constant service across shifts.

There are unique features to this car: suspension, bumper design, interior appointments that are not used in any other products and obtaining some parts will be an issue.

US consumer Caprice and Caprice PPV are two different vehicles. They use seperate part catalogs. Most parts wont interchange.

I've already been involved with having to total loss a PPV that was in an accident. It was not a total loss value wise, but rather after months of trying to obtain parts from Australia, the 1/4 panel assembly was a no go. The department lost a lot of use time on that vehicle and in the end had to obtain a different vehicle (NOT a PPV) Stripping and transferring the equipment to the new vehicle created a further loss in time and money.

My opinion: these are not practical for private ownership. (And even questionable as a practical long term service vehicle IMO)

Old 08-13-2015, 09:22 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
Civilian Caprice? No such thing. there is the Caprice PPV and there is the SS which is a civilian counterpart. If it says "Caprice" on the vehicle, it is a PPV and it is made in Australia as stated.

The vehicle is being discontinued due to the horrible exchange rate and the entire Holden manufacturing closure in Australia. From a mechanical point of view it is a strong and capable vehicle, and drives nicely with plenty of power. The departments that have them generally like them except when they break down or have an accident because the parts supply is limited and takes forever in many cases.

Personally I would be careful and probably pass unless you are capable of repairing on your own or have access to another vehicle that this one can sit if there is an issue.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:39 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Civilian Caprice? No such thing. there is the Caprice PPV and there is the SS which is a civilian counterpart. If it says "Caprice" on the vehicle, it is a PPV and it is made in Australia as stated.

The vehicle is being discontinued due to the horrible exchange rate and the entire Holden manufacturing closure in Australia. From a mechanical point of view it is a strong and capable vehicle, and drives nicely with plenty of power. The departments that have them generally like them except when they break down or have an accident because the parts supply is limited and takes forever in many cases.

Personally I would be careful and probably pass unless you are capable of repairing on your own or have access to another vehicle that this one can sit if there is an issue.
So Police won't continue to drive those Caprice's? They're going to stop making them? So pretty much parts will be harder and harder to find so in some cases it's not even worth it..

Old 08-13-2015, 11:10 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times
The entire Holden manufacturing plant in Australia is being shut down. Cost of doing business there is too great.

Police will drive them till they die but there will be a new model coming to replace the Impala and the Caprice which are both going away. So far GM is being very tight lipped but rumors are that the new vehicle will be a crossover/smaller utility that will be added to the lineup.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:28 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Civilian Caprice? No such thing.
Criswell Chevrolet in Maryland used a loophole in their contract to sell a batch of Caprices to the public.
GM did eventually shut them down but not before a number of them got out.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:22 PM

302 posts, read 1,155,955 times
Quote:

This is correct. I typed Caprice twice in my previous post. Impala would be the vehicle I had meant to mention. Manufactured for US civilian market, some of these are also put into police service, and quite similar in appearance to the Caprice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Criswell Chevrolet in Maryland used a loophole in their contract to sell a batch of Caprices to the public.
GM did eventually shut them down but not before a number of them got out.
Civilian owned Caprice, not civilian market Caprice. Hence GM's intervention I'd suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC