Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 07:21 PM

277 posts, read 429,529 times

Advertisements

Brakes are not supposed to break when you brake... no?

Well our Chevy S-10 brake line needs to be replaced and we can only get a quote from a dealer at $90 and he won't give us the part number.

So we couldn't call the regular parts places ...

We were hoping to find one a tad less expensive

It is the flexible brake line about 14 inches long.

Stainless mesh clad with steel ends

goes between ABS module and proportioning valve

we need the FRONT line.

If anyone can help please write--much appreciated. Thanks !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 07:29 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Try GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts or try one of the local auto parts stores. Most local auto parts stores will be able to look up the part and provide an after market replacement part that should work.

Don't forget that once you replace the brake line you will need to bleed the brakes.

I find that You Tube is a great place to find short videos on how to do almost any repair on a car. Try checking there.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:34 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Any decent Automotive store would have it or be able to get it, and much cheaper than dealer. I use NAPA a lot, and they have pretty good staff. Most places you can pick the part you want out of a page on computer showing the parts in the area your hose is, including all hoses.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:46 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
I would replace BOTH front flex lines at the same time. Just as you should replace shocks in pairs.

JiM B.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:43 AM

156 posts, read 420,093 times
Awesome thread!

Old 08-17-2015, 07:53 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Another one of those NOT WORTH THE RISK type of scenarios, IceCat.

I agree with the earlier posts, however, considering the significance / importance of this particular vehicle part, I would discourage going "cheap" or off-brand.

As already pointed out, the job is not just replacing a simple part and definitely not for the novice.

Good Luck

Old 08-17-2015, 09:03 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Another one of those NOT WORTH THE RISK type of scenarios, IceCat.

I agree with the earlier posts, however, considering the significance / importance of this particular vehicle part, I would discourage going "cheap" or off-brand.

As already pointed out, the job is not just replacing a simple part and definitely not for the novice.

Good Luck
One has to remember that GM does not make its own Brake Hoses. It purchases them from the Manufacturers who make Brake Hoses, and get the contract on Bids. A Brake Hose from a place like NAPA, has to meet the same specifications that the Hose GM used, so its not like your getting a Hose made by GM. If a Hose from a GM Dealer costs 80 bucks, the same hose from a Parts Store would be 20 t 30 dollars. The parts markup at a GM Dealer is crazy, compared to what they pay for it. I know, and am not just guessing. Was a Parts and Service Director for over 35 years.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:30 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
The dealer is always my last resource for parts. Go to an auto parts store. NAPA, Autozone, or O'Reillys

Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Sorry if my point was less than clear . . .

I was not addressing the legitimate parts guys at all, rather referring to the online cheap parts suppliers that are quite often peddling inferior, "offshore" products. These parts may be OK in some applications but definitely not safety related parts.

For what it's worth . . . I understand and believe most of us understand that vehicle manufacturers rarely fabricate many of the parts involved in their vehicle's production. Also, I am not against saving a few bucks and/or not getting ripped off.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:03 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
Might want to move this to the Auto forum -- there are a lot of great resources there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
View detailed profiles of: