Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:40 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,973 times

Advertisements

I visited this dealer like three weeks ago and he was trying to sell me this really nice 2013 Chevy Impala with 59k miles on it. It is an LTZ. It is a one-owner car. He keeps emailing me every week with some new deal and lower price on it. I really like how roomy the impala is but I went to my mechanic the next week (didn't take that car with me but had to have my current car worked on) and I asked him would he buy an Impala and he said that he wouldn't recommend the Impala to me and that Honda and Toyota are better. He said the Impalas have transmission issues. Anyone bought an Impala in the last few years and been able to put alot of miles on it without any issues ? Would you recommend one to any of your friends and relatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 10:44 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
I'm on my third Impala--2002, 2003, now 2007...

I bought the first one with 227,000 miles on it for $500, transmission zonked out a month after I got it. Got a new transmission for $1400, and although I had to replace other wear items (catalytic converter, fuel pump, etc), that car lasted me for 26 months. Truly, after the transmission (also bought new battery), the car was very dependable and I sold it for $1000 at 252,000. I will say towards the end, last three months, it was giving me all sorts of small problems, one right after the ither. That's not surprising given its mileage I guess, but it no longer was worth the expense...

Got a '03 at auction for $1400, that was a learning experience and I got suckered into it. They wouldn't start the cars for you, and it had relatively low mileage (in the 140s) and looked good. But the driver side window wouldn't go down, needed a new battery, and had a damn two year old lien on it. None of which was disclosed at auctuon. I ended up taking it to the lienholder in the next state, just giving it back, out $1700-$1800 of my money...

The one I got now I got at 142,000, needed new exhaust system as it was well driven and rusted from the elements of DC winters. I've had it for a month or two, I have to get tire monitor serviced, other than that it's the best of the three I've had. However, this will likely be my last Impala. I like the amenities of the redesigns (2006, 2013), and I like Impala generally. I mean, my first one lasted to 252! Take care of it and if you have the money to replace transmission, you can extend its life at least another two years. But my tastes have changed, and I'm looking ahead to different vehicles...

Not the Hondas or Toyotas everyone on here is so high on lol...

Old 12-17-2015, 04:26 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
It's all relative.
Do the normal Carfax. Have mechanic check it out.

I looked at a 5 year old Honda. One owner. Nice neighborhood. Garaged.
It burned oil and I didn't buy it.

My neighbor had a 5 year old Toyota. Purchased new at local dealership. He just have this Toyota at dealer for a full check up. Next day the right front axle/wheel fell off. Not just the wheel. The entire axle or whatever it is called.

What's the point?
Any car can have issues.

I'd buy a used Impala if it was a clean one owner low miles no accident car.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:05 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
I like the looks of the newest body style one. In 2014 I drove a rental car (old body style) one from Louisville, KY to Sandusky, OH and dropped it at the airport in Akron. Car rode nice and was comfortable! Dream car, nope but solid transportation, absolutely.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:07 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,158,829 times
I love my 64 Impala.

On topic, my neighbor a few houses down have a new one, it looks nice and no issues as of yet.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:48 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I know people with 200K miles on their Impalas, and know they are liked by fleets due to their overall longevity. They do have a failure rate in their transmissions once beyond 100K miles, but it is not every transmission either. A well maintained one should go a long, long time.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:47 PM

296 posts, read 413,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
It's all relative.
Do the normal Carfax. Have mechanic check it out.

I looked at a 5 year old Honda. One owner. Nice neighborhood. Garaged.
It burned oil and I didn't buy it.

My neighbor had a 5 year old Toyota. Purchased new at local dealership. He just have this Toyota at dealer for a full check up. Next day the right front axle/wheel fell off. Not just the wheel. The entire axle or whatever it is called.

What's the point?
Any car can have issues.

I'd buy a used Impala if it was a clean one owner low miles no accident car.
It is useful to think statistically about car value. Each brand and model of car will have a bell curve of normal distribution. Aren't we all trying to get a car with a higher average number for reliability and value?

Sure, there are outliers for each model, and there is a good degree of overlap of each bell curve. You have to combine the best objective info you can get with the best subjective info you can get. Single anecdotes are the least reliable information. Multiple reports are better. Large databases like car complaints com or consumer reports are still better.

BTW, I responded to this thread because I am driving my father in law's Impala (~2009). It really rides solid. Considering buying one. Now doing research for multiple reports of problems....

Old 01-03-2016, 06:47 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
It is a great looking car. The 2013 Impala LTZ has the 3.6 GM engine and there was a major issue with this engine. The timing chain would stretch and fail. Had something to do with the pitch. I looked closely at the Impala, but did not buy because of this major issue. Not sure if and when the design problem was corrected. I think it partially was fixed. In my book, if a car has any known issues that involve a major design flaw such as a timing chain issue, head gasket issue, or transmission issue, I avoid it as major repairs will likely be needed. The 3.6 had only the timing chain issue that I know of.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:54 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
GM has made big improvements in the new Impala. I much prefer a GM over a Ford.
Honda and Toyota seem like it takes a longer time for things to go wrong. I've had them all. Ford was the most problematic for me. Just my opinion.........

Old 01-03-2016, 07:29 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
It is a tough call. I have driven GM for years. I also looked at the Toyota Avalon with 3.5 liter DOHC V6 engine and the Ford Taurus with 3.5 Eco Boost. The Ford Edge uses the 3.5 as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC