Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 04:37 PM

728 posts, read 1,900,742 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a good and solid performing GM truck/suv. I have a budget of about 2-3K so I'm obviously limited on my choices. I've owned a Tahoe, a Yukon and a Suburban in the past and they were all pretty much the same as far as performance and appearance.

Lately I have been looking on Craigslist and have noticed a higher inventory of available Suburbans than Tahoe or Yukon and the suburban seems to be more within my price range compared to the Tahoe/Yukon. Why do you suppose a suburban is cheaper? Why are the Tahoe/Yukon more? The mileage and condition are about the same.

I'd be using this vehicle for winter driving in the mountains and also towing an 18ft travel trailer a few times during the summer.

So what do you guys suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 04:42 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,179,053 times
The Tahoe/Yukon are considered upscale GMC vehicles, a 'Burb is a Chevy. Functionally the same vehicle. At the 2K/3K level I'd look more at the Suburban.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:02 AM

568 posts, read 2,421,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I'm looking to buy a good and solid performing GM truck/suv. I have a budget of about 2-3K so I'm obviously limited on my choices. I've owned a Tahoe, a Yukon and a Suburban in the past and they were all pretty much the same as far as performance and appearance.

Lately I have been looking on Craigslist and have noticed a higher inventory of available Suburbans than Tahoe or Yukon and the suburban seems to be more within my price range compared to the Tahoe/Yukon. Why do you suppose a suburban is cheaper? Why are the Tahoe/Yukon more? The mileage and condition are about the same.

I'd be using this vehicle for winter driving in the mountains and also towing an 18ft travel trailer a few times during the summer.

So what do you guys suggest?
Honestly, pulling a trailer, I'd rather have a Suburban anyhow for the added stability of the longer wheelbase. I realize you're only talking about an 18' trailer, but still.

As far as pricing, Tahoes and Yukons have always held a better secondary market value over the Suburbans and Yukon XL. They're just a little more desirable.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:10 AM

568 posts, read 2,421,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
The Tahoe/Yukon are considered upscale GMC vehicles, a 'Burb is a Chevy.
Ummm...No.

A Tahoe is a Chevy and a Yukon is a GMC. Before the '00 model year, Suburbans were both Chevy and GMC, but beginning in '00, the GMC changed the name to the Yukon XL.

Speaking of previous generations to be more in line with MountainGuy's price range, a Tahoe LS would comparably match a Yukon SLE in trim and content. A Tahoe LT would be comparable to a Yukon SLT. GMC was alone at the top with the Denali trim level for several years before Chevy finally added the LTZ trim on the last generation SUVs, which was pretty close to being as nice as the Denali. Now on the current generation Chevy SUVs you can get the High Country.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:36 AM

728 posts, read 1,900,742 times
I'm located in Southern California so we have TONS of inventory so that means prices are anywhere from 1800 for higher mileage vehicles on up. I've been eyeballing a few Suburbans with around 110K-140K miles on them in really nice condition for about 2500 OBO.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:29 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I'm located in Southern California so we have TONS of inventory so that means prices are anywhere from 1800 for higher mileage vehicles on up. I've been eyeballing a few Suburbans with around 110K-140K miles on them in really nice condition for about 2500 OBO.
The mileage isn't bad. What years are you looking at? I'd go the Suburban route. The extra length makes for a better ride. Better for towing.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:46 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,333,016 times
Also OP if you plan on towing you are going to want to look at the later 5.7L liter Vortec V-8 and 6.0L Vortec V-8 SBC in the 1500 or preferably for towing the BBC 7.4L and the 8.1L Vortec V8(s) in he 2500 Burb's

Old 02-01-2016, 05:45 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Also OP if you plan on towing you are going to want to look at the later 5.7L liter Vortec V-8 and 6.0L Vortec V-8 SBC in the 1500 or preferably for towing the BBC 7.4L and the 8.1L Vortec V8(s) in he 2500 Burb's
The 6.0 out pulls the 5.7 hands down. I have never really cared for the 350/5.7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC