Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2016, 01:14 AM

2 posts, read 1,519 times

Advertisements

I've replaced the radiator, the hoses to radiator, thermostat, water pump ... The shop did a fullflush and heater ore flush ( it was clogged) .. My cars temp gauge is moving way to much , I'm concerned .. Sometimes it gets to the 3/4 line I think .. The line before it starts getting close to the red area, the fan does kick on .. It shouldn't be getting hot and cold all the time and.moving tho, right ? It gets too hot and keeps coolings itself its not maintaining a steady temp .. Friday we had to put more.coolant in it , as today . All this started once I changed the thermostat which was stuck open ( that's why we changed it ) the shop did the gasket check ,came back the proper color., he showed me ...i can't take this anymore I just want my car to work ! 138000 miles .. Help me ! 1997
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,519 times
Please someone , anyone ??

Old 03-15-2016, 11:47 AM

17,567 posts, read 15,232,801 times
I think the Saturn uses that pressurized cooling system.. Did you bleed the air out of it after all these changes?

GM also made alot of changes to the thermostats in cars from that timeframe.. They went from a 180 thermostat to a 195 thermostat.. Which, doesn't recalibrate the temperature gauge in the car. But, fluctuation.. I doubt that is the problem. You'd just see a higher temp than you're used to seeing.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:02 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
Saturns do use a pressurized cooling system, and it's important to have a good cap on the expansion tank. They go bad and need replaced. I've never had a problem with a Saturn S-Series having air in the system though, because the expansion tank is higher than any other part of the cooling system and it's very easy to fill these with no need for bleeding after a drain and fill. Having the cap removed from the expansion tank is sufficient.

The first thing I would check though is that the ECTS has been changed from the factory. If not, have it changed right away. It's a $10 part, and the OEM ECTSs were resin versus the new brass parts available. They changed the design in 2000/1, but anything before that will have the resin tipped design. They only last a short while before cracking and making the entire system unreliable. Do you have problems with fluctuating or a high idle when in park or neutral? If so, I would bet that's your problem.

I'm not sure I completely trust your shop if it's overheating after he touched it, but definitely have the ECTS checked out if not already done. Also, check out a site called SaturnFans, because it is the absolute best for information when working on these S-Series cars.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:45 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,094 times
I used to have both a '92 '02 SC. I bought the '92 new. I think the dealer service tech told me that my particular car typically ran hot. But maybe I'm imagining that. It's been a while since I owned a Saturn.

Any help here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC