Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 06:37 PM

878 posts, read 1,206,787 times

Advertisements

Looking to pick up an older full size SUV (Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV) once my current lease is up and would love some advice.

Trying to decide between buying an older (2002ish) vehicle with 150K+ or even 200K+ miles, as I can pick one up for $3K-$5K. Or if I should up the budget to get something newer (2008ish or newer) with 150K miles or less-- looking at spending $10-12K, or even $15K, in that case (or something in between the two extremes).

I'm leaning towards the older vehicle as there's virtually zero depreciation left to go and even if I need to put some money into it along the way, I'm still likely ahead of the game financially as opposed to spending an additional $5-$12K for the newer vehicle-- but I also would like to keep this vehicle for at least 2-3 years, possibly longer, so I'm willing to cough up the extra cash, if need be.

What year(s) should I look for? Is there a mileage threshold that I should aim to stay under? And are there any models/years that I should avoid? And what's more important age OR mileage? (would an 2008 with 180K miles be preferable to an '05 with 120K? Or the other way around?)

I've purchased used vehicles before, but usually late model and CPO (all of our GM vehicles-- we've previously owned a Jimmy, Yukon, and a Yukon XL-- have been purchased new)-- so this is uncharted territory for me, so please forgive the barrage of (possibly obvious) questions.

We're hoping for a SLT trim and would love higher (Denali, Z71-- or an Escalade) as we'd like to have leather, moonroof, power seats, etc-- surprisingly, we've found there's not much difference in the price between the lower and top trim levels.

Additional details:
If it matters, we're a family of 5 (plus two big dogs)-- this will be my primary vehicle and it will be mainly a people hauler (I work from home, so I have zero commute-- but we do travel 3-5 times a week-- and sometimes more-- to kids' sport practices and to away games-- usually 40-50 miles round trip, with a few 200 mile trips to tournaments). We are only considering the full sized versions due to the amount gear that we tend to take with us-- I have 3 ice hockey goalies, so smaller won't work for us. We also hope to get a boat in the not too distant future and need towing capacity.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 07:12 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
The question comes down to haw much towing capacity will you eventually need? How big a boat? I went with the 2002 Suburban 2500 HD LT with leather and all the bells and whistles. It's still comfy to drive, and carries a lot of stuff, but the 2500 with the 8.1 liter V8 has a 12,000 lb towing capacity, which means that it barely notices our 8500 lb, 30 foot travel trailer. The 2500 series carries a bit of a price premium over the 1500 series (which are much more common) but it's not that much (I paid $6500 for mine).

Look for rust, and check the problematic AC for function in the rear (and the main control board in the dash tends to go bad). Other than that, they are stout trucks that will last a long time.

Mine doing what it does best:

Old 03-18-2017, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 9,443 times
Default Truck pulls to the right hard when braking

I have a 1996 Chevy Sylverado C3500. When I brake the truck pulls to the right abruptly. after I let go of the pedal, The front wheels shakes crazy. after driving for a while I smell like cloth burning but my truck is automatic. The light for the Antilock Brake in the dash/cluster is on. And the left wheel can boils water in few second while the right side remains colder. What cant be the problem? I already change the front brake pads fro new ones but the Truck still does the same thing. I've been rip off before by mechanics and feel desperate to get this thing fix and safe to drive. Any Advice? Please

Old 03-21-2017, 09:47 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rns2 View Post
I have a 1996 Chevy Sylverado C3500. When I brake the truck pulls to the right abruptly. after I let go of the pedal, The front wheels shakes crazy. after driving for a while I smell like cloth burning but my truck is automatic. The light for the Antilock Brake in the dash/cluster is on. And the left wheel can boils water in few second while the right side remains colder. What cant be the problem? I already change the front brake pads fro new ones but the Truck still does the same thing. I've been rip off before by mechanics and feel desperate to get this thing fix and safe to drive. Any Advice? Please
You referring to the front brakes? Could be a stuck brake caliper. It isn't too hard to change.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:09 AM

83 posts, read 82,287 times
ellysbelly, I have an 04 Chevy 2500 HD and they typically have problems with transmission and/or rear differential failure. If shopping used, find one that has at least had the transmission rebuilt. I love mine with the LQ4 6.0 motor. It's fun for a tow-pig.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:39 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Be sure to check the Brake Lines where they run from the Master to Frame and Under the Body.....where they make the bend to run under the Body is where they typically start to rot.....seems like an area where wet debris seems to sit

Old 04-06-2017, 07:04 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwelder View Post
ellysbelly, I have an 04 Chevy 2500 HD and they typically have problems with transmission and/or rear differential failure. If shopping used, find one that has at least had the transmission rebuilt. I love mine with the LQ4 6.0 motor. It's fun for a tow-pig.
look at the date on the original post........

Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 AM

997 posts, read 849,612 times
Quote:
Never heard that before, or experienced it. I know some owners have had problems with the case of the front differential, but have never heard of problems with the trans or the rear diff, especially on the he 2500's

Old 04-07-2017, 09:16 AM

878 posts, read 1,206,787 times
I'm the OP-- just an update, almost exactly a year ago, we picked up an '04 Toyota Sequoia Limited for $4K (it had 187K miles and had been very well maintained, almost exclusively at the dealership, even for oil changes)-- very, VERY happy with the Toyota-- it runs like new and I hope to keep it (knock wood) for years to come.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:03 PM

29 posts, read 34,503 times
Quote:
That's news to me too. Those 4l80e trans are pretty stout units and can handle both power and weight with ease. I had an 04 GMC 2500HD and never had any issues with it. Maintenance is key. Also with a few slight mods will help with performance as well as longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
look at the date on the original post........
It's just over a year old, not like its years and years ago. Some people take there time and shop around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
I'm the OP-- just an update, almost exactly a year ago, we picked up an '04 Toyota Sequoia Limited for $4K (it had 187K miles and had been very well maintained, almost exclusively at the dealership, even for oil changes)-- very, VERY happy with the Toyota-- it runs like new and I hope to keep it (knock wood) for years to come.
Congrats on the new to you Yota, cant go wrong there.
Now you should at least post a pic haha, everyone loves pictures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC