Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 11:04 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,929 times

Advertisements

I'd rather have a Cadillac than a Camry, and I detest Cadillacs. Camrys are awful, awful vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 09:15 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,658 times
I drive a 2016 ATS and it's a blast. The 2 liter turbo engine is torquey AF, and the all wheel drive is godsend for stabbing the throttle on wet or snowy roads. Lemme tell you what, this chassis is a work of art. The handling is as sharp and precise as a scalpel. I love how the 8 speed auto downshifts one gear at a time in sport mode. Many journalists have given it good reviews, and after having owned it for several months, there's really not much to nitpick. I wish the rear windows had an auto-up capability, and the transmission occasionally lugs the engine by selecting too low of a gear during lazy driving, and that's about it. I test drove a 3 series before buying this, and the ATS was better executed - aside from CUE. They need to dump that haptic-touch garbage.

If they added an all wheel drive option to the ATS-V or CTS V-Sport, I'd gladly buy another Caddy. Sadly, they have no plans to make either desired variation. I love this car to pieces, but after the lease is up, it may be time to jump ship. I don't really want to, but I need my turbos, automatics and all wheel drive.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:06 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
I drive a 2016 ATS and it's a blast. The 2 liter turbo engine is torquey AF, and the all wheel drive is godsend for stabbing the throttle on wet or snowy roads. Lemme tell you what, this chassis is a work of art. The handling is as sharp and precise as a scalpel. I love how the 8 speed auto downshifts one gear at a time in sport mode. Many journalists have given it good reviews, and after having owned it for several months, there's really not much to nitpick. I wish the rear windows had an auto-up capability, and the transmission occasionally lugs the engine by selecting too low of a gear during lazy driving, and that's about it. I test drove a 3 series before buying this, and the ATS was better executed - aside from CUE. They need to dump that haptic-touch garbage.

If they added an all wheel drive option to the ATS-V or CTS V-Sport, I'd gladly buy another Caddy. Sadly, they have no plans to make either desired variation. I love this car to pieces, but after the lease is up, it may be time to jump ship. I don't really want to, but I need my turbos, automatics and all wheel drive.

Why do you need AWD in North Virginia? I'm a bit north of you and my daily driver/fun car is RWD and I don't have any problems with it. We don't live in the Great White North... AWD adds cost, complexity and reduces reliability in a performance car like the V series cars and changes the balance...

Old 11-09-2016, 06:15 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times
[quote=RomaniGypsy;44469484]Fun to drive just because they accelerate better and can take corners at faster speeds?[./quote]

Kind of the definition of being more fun to drive, so yeah.

Quote:

I just don't get how "reliability" is not at the top of the list of necessities for anyone dropping that kind of money on a car.

Because it's just not. But they can still be more than reliable enough to be daily drivers. I have a 15 year old BMW performance sedan and in the year and a half I've had it, I've had to do no repairs.

Quote:
I don't know about that. I have fun trying to get the best possible gas mileage out of it and my best one-tank MPG number was 48.6.

Fine, your definition of fun is different than automotive enthusiasts. Get over it. Fun for us is being in control of the roller coaster.

Quote:
So, in essence, it's all about racetrack performance, even though they won't be raced on a track and if they do engage in racing while on ordinary roads they'll be cop magnets. Well, nobody ever stated for the record that the wealthy don't waste money.

There's more to performance driving on backroads than RACING. A brisk drive on a twisty backroad is massive fun. I've been doing it for decades with no tickets and no crashes, so no danger to anyone else. Just because you're too scared to engage in performance driving doesn't mean the rest of us are.

The level of control, the feedback, the feeling of G forces, etc, can be utilized on roads other than a track without being a danger to yourself (in fact a performance car will be less dangerous on a road like those than your Prius will be) or others.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:49 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,149,331 times
OP, stop trolling us. You hate driving and have proven that by driving a Prius. Don't get me wrong, a Prius is a fine car if your priorities are efficiency and reliability. Yeah you own a Caddy and that's great but the model you own is like driving a sofa on wheels.

Some of us just prefer the finer things in life and are willing to pay extra because we have it and life is too short to spend your whole life saving. I almost died last month and all the saving that I've done over the years would have been useless had I passed. I would buy the Escalade (or any other current Cadillac) because the quality of the materials in the cabin are better than any Chevy or GMC. It's also more luxurious because of additional sound deadening and whatever other differences there are. Some have a better warranty, some have superior service (e.g. Lexus) and Lincoln has a concierge program that will pick your broken car up at your home or office and leave you with a loaner car. With both me and my wife working and with little kids to raise, that's a nice luxury to have.

As for me, I paid almost 50k for a Chevy sedan (imported from Australia) earlier this year. I didn't buy it for the badge and it looks like a rental car. But at the end of a long day, I look forward to mashing the pedal down when the road clears on my way home. It makes it all worth it. I don't care about the gas mileage or the fact that I need to schedule an appointment to have the second recall addressed. It's just the price of driving a car built for performance. Enthusiasts will put up with a lot to drive a car they love. It's like dating a hot but crazy woman (bad analogy, sue me).

Old 11-10-2016, 08:55 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
OP, stop trolling us. You hate driving and have proven that by driving a Prius. Don't get me wrong, a Prius is a fine car if your priorities are efficiency and reliability. Yeah you own a Caddy and that's great but the model you own is like driving a sofa on wheels.
Not sure about sofa on wheels, but ATS I had rented 2 yrs ago was by far the worst rental new car I ever drove long haul.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
What makes them better than one of the appliance cars:

1. Performance - this is also a safety factor.

2. Acceleration - again crosses into a safety factor.

3. More driver control/interaction - yup safety too.

4. More pleasant ride.

5. Quieter - you can actually hear the high notes played by the symphony.

6. More comfortable.

7. More room.

8. better electronics (well better everything, but electronics too).

9. classier - image issues. this matters a great deal for people in certain professions, and while you may think a camry pos show how frugal you are and would be more impressive to a company executive you want for a client, the fact is, it is not. In fact, if you show up in a camry, you had best park it around the corner and walk. Maybe it shouldn't be that way, but it is. Not liking that fact will not change it. In some businesses you need to portray success. If you don't no one will hire you. They want to be comfortable they are hiring one of the best, and that means successful and successful to them means you can afford quality things like the best sedan made for under $200,000. Eventually, they will see your abilities based on your performance, but show up in a Camry and you will not get your foot inside the door.

10. Longevity. Why will the CTS-V outlast the Camry? Because the CTS V is worth fixing when something breaks, even the engine. You can spend $10,000 repairing the CTS-v and it is worth it. Camry is a disposable car. Wear it out and toss it into a dump. You are not going to spend $10,000 to fix a Camry, you are going to pollute the world by scrapping it and buying a new one.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:45 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,316,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Poor people (that would be you) are funny.

Don't you have a bathroom to clean or trash to empty.....or something?
Wow! What a jerky response. Some people sure can be mean spirited. And you are welcome for resurrecting this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC