Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 02:13 PM

17 posts, read 50,540 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow I will be looking at 2 trucks for a relatively decent price. One is an 1999 S-10, regular cab, automatic transmission with 153,000 miles with a 4 banger(2.2l) under the hood and a 1999 Silverado regular cab base model with a tool box and a V6(4.3L). The Silverado has 146,000 miles. The Silverado is priced in the $5000 range and the S-10 is in the $4000 range.

This truck will be get around truck and will be my first truck/first car. It will get me back and forth to work and to school truck.

Any suggestions as to which one I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 02:34 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
If you are just looking for a way to get back and forth from work and school, why are you looking at a truck? Trucks have a premium in price, you should be able to get a lot more vehicle for your money if you look at cars. Neither one of the really sound appealing honestly.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:05 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I had a 2003 S10 for 10 years. I really liked this truck and it was very dependable. Other than normal maintenance I didn't have repair bills with my S10. It had one annoying problem though. It ran just fine on flat ground. As soon as the slightest hill came up,the truck had problems. It could barely keep any speed st all. I would take it in to the repair shop several times. No one could find a cause. Other than them telling me the S10 were known for anemic engines. Now I had the 5 speed manual. The truck your looking at with the Auto transmission may be different. I would give both trucks a good test drive and try to find some hills. I traded mine in because of this problem, but I miss that truck.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:04 PM

17 posts, read 50,540 times
Me007Gold: That is your opinion and you are entitled to believe whatever you want to believe or like. Personally, the reason I am looking at trucks is for the versatility and options vs that of a standard car. There have been plenty of times where we have needed to move things or we needed a truck for a job that a car just could not do, even a small truck would have been more sufficient. I like the option of a regular cab as I do not carry people around(and honestly, don't prefer to invite it either).

Jimrob1: Thank you for sharing your personal experience with your S-10. I heard they are good little trucks, but if you are looking for hoards of power, to look else where. The 4.3L seems to be more preferred over the 2.2L trucks in regards to power and have heard that 2.2L are the anemic ones.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:54 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I'd go Silverado. I've had s10s with the 2.2. They hardly have enough giddy up to get out of their town way. The 4.3 is a decent little motor.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:05 AM

19,015 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I had exactly same year Silverado.
But let me rewind to the two options.
Neither. S10 is tiny and uncomfortable inside. Has no power. You WILL regret buying it unless you happen to be a very small person and not concerned with conveniences and comfort at all.
Btw, that was an interesting manner of saying - my S10 was a great truck, never a problem, except.... That would have been a major issue on my books. Reminds me of local radio host who said "we loved our Mazda truck so much we put 3 new engines into it in 3 years". What pos car is it per definition?
But anyhow. 4.3L is way not enough for Silverado. Truck is too heavy for it to start with. Any reasonable load will immediately show lack of power. Even 5.3Vortec I had was not enough. It's a truck. You need serious whoomp for "just in case" situations that WILL come. Towing. Hauling loads.
Expect around 15-16mpg
Expect all kinds of small annoying repairs. Window regulators go bad on them routinely. Instrument cluster. Gauges freak out. Hub bearings go bad. Engines do run strong but transmissions start kicking between 1st and 2nd way before 100 000 miles.
Those engines have VERY infamous piston slap noise. So if you decide to test drive one, make sure you have perfectly cold engine, so tell seller to show it as early am as possible and NOT to warm up engine. Piston slap shows on cold engines. Also, bad water pump shows with bearing squeal on cold engine start.
If I were you, and looking into small p-up truck, I'd have bought Ranger with V6. Those are re-badged Mazda trucks known for bullet proof reliability. I had 99 standard cab with 4 cyl engine, outside of being very uncomfortable, truck beat reliability wise any Honda or Toyota we had. Bought rebuilt, btw. But if you get extended cab, you can be more comfortable.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:17 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
I just saw a YouTube video about a 99 Silverado with about 130,000 miles that someone took in for an inspection. It needed a whole lot of work. The right front tire was about ready to fall off. The water pump was in the early stages of failing and there were other issues. 1999 was the first year of a totally new redesign for the Silverado and GMC Sierra, so it has none of the changes that later year models have based on repair and parts failure history. My 2001 Sierra was relatively trouble free, but it was on its third fuel pump when I sold it. Like someone else said, I'd pass on both. They are ancient and will likely need expensive repairs.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:38 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
I had a '97 S-10 that made it about 130k miles before doing a flying 360 into a cable barrier at 70mph on an interstate.

I wasn't pleased with the vehicle. Not a whole lot of problems with it.. But.. one BIG problem. 3 failed transmissions. 2 replaced under warranty, one I paid to have rebuilt. It had things go wrong, as happens.. Head gasket started leaking.. That was repaired under warranty.. Water pump and radiator had to be replaced.

Now, by 99.. I think they had just gone to the 4L60E transmission, which is a pretty solid tranny.. So, i'd check which one it has. Mine had a different transmission.

Head gasket isn't really that bad on that engine. I think it was $600 if I had to pay for it..

I didn't really notice the massive lack of power on hills.. I mean, it's there, but no more pronounced than any other 4 cyl engine IMO.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:49 PM

55 posts, read 62,948 times
The 2.2 motors in S10's were absolute dogs, no power at all and don't even try to use the AC and accelerate at any reasonable rate.

The Silverado is under-powered with the 4.3 as well, though the 4.3 is a much better motor. i would look for a silverado with the 5.3 or even settle for the 4.8 before I would get either of the trucks listed.

Not sure where you are located either but both of those prices are high.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:51 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanresources View Post
The 2.2 motors in S10's were absolute dogs, no power at all and don't even try to use the AC and accelerate at any reasonable rate.
Even here in SC, it's rare that I use anything other than the R270 A/C on a vehicle.

R270 = Roll 2 windows down and do 70mph.

That S-10 I had ended its service in 2005, I've had a Colorado since. Now, I will mention, the Colorado has the 2.8 Vortec 2800.. I'm fine with it, too.. But, both the S-10 and the Colorado were regular cab models.

I still haven't forgotten going into the dealership to get a new truck and them saying "We've got a 5 cylinder".. Lots of thoughts ran through my mind, but once the guy said "Yeah, it's the second year for them".. Nope. Not a chance. Thank goodness, because those 5's had all the head/valve problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC