Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 10:21 PM

256 posts, read 455,669 times

Advertisements

debating picking one up for $14k with 22k miles and automatic (sadly). These don't come up often around here, and when they do, they are usually beaten to hell and back or modified.

Only issue is it would be a year round vehicle for me, to be used to get back and forth from home to college (about 7 miles each way, and occasionally drive my son to school. However, I have been thinking about a WRX and have always wanted both of these vehicles. Except, I now live in a very snowy state (Alaska), and while I've driven rear wheel drive in snow before (07 Colorado short bed regular cab), I am unsure how well it will do with a good set of snow tires and some weight in the rear.

Had a 87 Iroc a couple years back and drove it back and forth to work one winter with its summer tires, but it was a mild winter with hardly and snow and more ice in the morning. It did fine for the 2 miles drive each way.

Wife drives a 2016 Escape AWD - so we have a good family vehicle already.

Any thoughts, experience, etc? Both the GTO and WRX are the same price, except the WRX has AWD and 4 doors with 100k miles. They carry a high value up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 02:54 AM

193 posts, read 184,166 times
I bought an 05 new. It was a manual though. I'm bias but I enjoyed the car. They do have known issues. Check the suspension over. The rear tends to sag and cause tire wear. Alot of owners had steering shake at highway speeds.also check the rear seats at the top of them. The stitching almost always splits apart there. I enjoyed mine it wasn't the fastest thing but it was a very comfortable cruiser.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:38 AM

Thanks for pointing out known issues. A good cruise would be nice, and wish it was a 6spd. The one that is available with a manual has a rebuilt title and they're asking $10,800 - and while I've had a few vehicles with rebuilt titles over the years that had no issues, it is high risk.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:57 AM

Sadly didn't purcahse the GTO and got something entirely different / economical.

Came across a good deal and had to jump on it.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:51 AM

9,830 posts, read 11,609,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
Sadly didn't purcahse the GTO and got something entirely different / economical.

Came across a good deal and had to jump on it.
What did you get?

Old 06-03-2016, 07:38 PM

First let me say my wife had a lot of pull in my decision, and she is right about one thing. We're both full time college students and she is recovering from a horrible car accident that cost $160k in medical and permanent seizures. Plus we have two kids, ages 5 and 3.

She was concerned with insurance, fuel economy, and over all comfort when she needs to ride in it.

Anyways, found a 2014 Chevy Cruze for a really good deal. One owner and it was both her, and her husbands first new vehicle. So it was babied and in show room condition, plus it is a manual and only had 20,741 miles when picked up. They also gave me a brand new set of winter tires, and not the cheap kind either!

Very impressed with this car. Rides smoother than my wife's new 2016 Escape, and got 39.5 mpg on the way home (250 miles away). Not rattles, squeaks, and everything is very solid.

Best way to describe this car is "just does". No matter the task it does everything without complaining and even went through the mountain pass without needing to down shift from sixth.

After graduation next year, I'll find something really nice, but this car will do for the next 12-24 months.

Has a funky color though, and will start another thread for that to get opinions because I am torn on it.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:13 PM

9,575 posts, read 4,400,093 times
I bought an '06 GTO new, as well as a 2009 WRX. The GTO is a far, far nicer car in every way. Much better interior materials, much lower NVH, and obviously, much faster.

On the other had, the GTO is useless in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC