Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 08:19 PM

176 posts, read 234,880 times

Advertisements

My relative has a 2002 Safari van (v6), yesterday he was driving it and without any warning, it just died on the road. He waited a few minutes and was able to restart it and keep going. It then died again within 5 minutes. He then restarted and was able to get home.

He doesn't have the money to pay for a mechanic to look at it so is asking me to find any help I could get.

Any troubleshooting ideas if appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 11:17 PM

423 posts, read 610,188 times
The description is not specific enough: did the car die while at idle, going highway speed, is there high load (running AC), etc? Any warning lights?

Bottomline. If your relative cannot troubleshoot, even if someone identifies the root cause, your relative won't be able to fix the problem. So at the end of the day, your relative will have to to to mechanic or find a friend who knows car and can help.

ODB reader can be useful. If there is error code, OBD can read the code and tell you what is wrong. Or if there is no code, some ODB reader can provide diagnostic info that can be used to troubleshoot.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:57 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_water View Post

He doesn't have the money to pay for a mechanic to look at it so is asking me to find any help I could get.
A look see at most/some/many are free. What is the age of this person?

Old 06-10-2016, 12:59 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I have a 2003 Chevy Astro van. Yes their is a forum you can join just for th Astro Safari owners.

First off tell me if the check engine light is on. If it is not on but the owner knows that it is operating normally then you may have a simpler solution.

Since the van turned on but then shut down you may have simple things to check first.

1. Fuel filter. If it has not been changed then things can go south on you. Should be under the car, drivers side, between the fuel tank and the drivers side door. If it is plugged or nearly plugged you will get no fuel to the engine.

2. Fuel pump. It is in the tank, and you need to drop the tank to get to it. Not a fun project. I have replaced out fuel pump twice. Here is how you will know if it is working. When you pull the fuel filter and you have no or now enough fuel coming out then chances are the pump may have issues. These pumps on the Astro Safari's like to have fuel in the tank and hate it when you run the tank low.

3. To a lesser extent but still a problem is the fuel injectors. They can clog. Chances are if the checl engine light is on this may show up as an error code.

4. Spark plugs. They are not fun to change on the van. For the DIY person it can take 3 to 8 hours just to change the plugs. On the Astro Safari forum you will read of DIY owners that took a weekend to change the plugs. Shops can charge anyhere from $180 on up to $350 just to change the plugs and wires. It is easier if the van is lifted to get to everything. You do have to pull the front wheels, pull most everything else out of the way, may have to pull the interior console and cover from in the van. I am thinking that this would show up as an error code.

5. Simple thing to check is the air filter. Unless this thing is completly filled with dirt it may not be the cause of the problem.

Without seeing it I can not tell you anything else. I do all my own work. Everything I am telling you is based on if the engine light has not come on. If it has been on for months and no repairs have been made then that is another story. You could even have an electical problem with the van. I am just telling you the easy things to check.

This van is not user friendly when it comes to working on the engine. If you can not afford to pay someone to work on it then an investment in tools will be needed. Also buy the service book at your local auto parts store for the van.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC