Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 05:44 AM

1 posts, read 655 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

It rained real bad the other day here in central MN. I drove home and, having no idea how deep the flooded dead-end street really was, drove into the standing water. It appeared to be getting deeper 20 yds in so I decided to pull off the road, hopped up over a curb and onto the grass. The water probably was around 10", not even sure. Apparently the street is deceivingly steep, but looks damn near level when its dry so who knew...The drains were clogged up and whatever, it doesn't matter at this point. Everything was wet in there, so something electrical may be the cause...?, I'm still open to that but it's not looking good...

I pulled off the road and the car died. 2003 chevy malibu. I was up on the grass and was hoping to back out of there and onto the adjacent parking lot, which wasn't flooded. I tried to start the car and the engine shook for a second but woulnd't start up. I pushed it out after the drains were cleared of water, pushed the car into the lot and have been trying to troubleshoot it since.

I pulled the plugs out and saw that 1 maybe 2 were wet, my air filter was soaked so definitely hydrolocked. When I cranked it, water spout out of the engine. I sprayed some wd40 in there and let it sit, cranked again and could only hear the starter spinning the flywheel....all the pulleys are moving when I turn the key. I put the plugs back in and turned the key..same thing. starter is working, pulleys spinning but nothing else.. i pulled the plugs again and cranked the engine over manually... here are vids of both scenarios..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9up2wjvhdp..._4623.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hljjfvxq37..._4624.MOV?dl=0

not sure it is helpful but just so you know, the plug cables were extremely tough to take off the plugs, and in 2 cases of the 6, the inside metal part on the plug pulled out of the cable. the others were tough too so perhaps they plug cables to the coil packs are junk....but that may not matter.

not sure what to check next....or what to do....electrical issue, cracked cylinder(s) and engine junk, fuel supply issue.....i'm not sure how engines work exactly. open to options..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 02:07 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,036,433 times
Sure sounds like you hydro-locked it. Pull those plugs back out, crank it a bit again, spray more wd40 in there, crank it again. Then let it sit with the plugs out overnight if possible. Change the oil! Disconnect the battery and open the doors, use a fan to blow air through the car if possible...this may help dry out the electronics.

Been there, done that...while off-roading. Hopefully you'll get lucky. I always have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC