Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 03:29 PM

9,499 posts, read 4,336,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
Not really true. The plant it is built at in Australia is shutting down, so they can't really keep the vehicle going even if they wanted to. Demand for a large RWD sedan is not what it used to be, so moving a small volume platform to another facility does not make business sense.

Disclaimer: I am a GM employee.
Had GM marketed the SS (or GTO or G8), perhaps they would have sold enough cars to justify keeping the plant open or building a new one. You're right - from a business perspective it doesn't make sense to move a small volume platform to another facility, but the key words are "small volume". Sales were low (small volume) due to lack of marketing. I'm not sure about the lack of demand for RWD sedans being a factor - Dodge seems to sell plenty of Chargers, not to mention the Chrysler 300 and a plethora of BMWs and M-Bs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 08:39 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Had GM marketed the SS (or GTO or G8), perhaps they would have sold enough cars to justify keeping the plant open or building a new one. You're right - from a business perspective it doesn't make sense to move a small volume platform to another facility, but the key words are "small volume". Sales were low (small volume) due to lack of marketing. I'm not sure about the lack of demand for RWD sedans being a factor - Dodge seems to sell plenty of Chargers, not to mention the Chrysler 300 and a plethora of BMWs and M-Bs.
The main purpose of the Holden plant was to produce for the Australian market. They also couldn't have sold for much lower, it's expensive to produce a car overseas in a western nation and bring it here.

As for Chrysler, there isn't much margin on those large cars. They have heavy incentives on them. They also sell a very high percentage of those to rental companies. Those sales aren't very profitable and they lower residuals which makes it even harder to sell them new to retail customers.

BMW and Mercedes compete in a different segment of the market entirely. And no, luxury sedan sales are not doing that well right now. Buyers are leaving those segments in droves for crossovers.

I personally like large RWD sedans, but in the mainstream market they are a dying breed. In the luxury market they are also losing importance and becoming more niche. I forecast car sales for a living so I look at this data every day.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
I think the perception of demand for RWD sedans depends on location. Here, every third driveway seems to have a Charger in it. Caddy CTS is everywhere too.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:21 AM

772 posts, read 933,593 times
The SS was a bit redundant for the US market. Most people looking for a V8/RWD car from GM are going with the Corvette or Camaro, or if they want 4 doors, there's the Cadillac.

This car only made sense to those who want a "sleeper" sports car, and that's not a very big market segment. I don't think marketing had much, if anything to do with it.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:21 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think the perception of demand for RWD sedans depends on location. Here, every third driveway seems to have a Charger in it. Caddy CTS is everywhere too.
Southeast Michigan is a special auto market and should not be viewed as representative of any other part of the country. Too many plan purchasers.

The SS, much like the Kia Stinger, was an answer to a question nobody asked. It was one of those "hey, cool, maybe I'll buy it used" exercises in futility and its demise was all too easy to predict.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
It's all about the badge. This was mean to compete with the M3, S4 but people rather lease those or buy a big loud Charger. SS looks really small in comparison.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:11 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,355 times
For whatever reason Chevy/Gm can't get a big RWD sedan with the SS badge to make an impact. This has been going for over 20 years. Styling and marketing have much to so with it.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:24 AM

193 posts, read 183,252 times
No big loss. They made it look so boring it's a shame.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:16 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Car was great on paper, less visually appealing as it looked like a 10 year old Pontiac G8!

Some think it is a Malibu with chrome wheels.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:08 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Some think it is a Malibu with chrome wheels.
I think that was the point.

I have always been intrigued by this car, and wonder how it will depreciate vs. an Impala LTZ, if both were used as a daily driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC