Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 12:53 PM

364 posts, read 635,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I have a friend who's been able to grab similar trucks (if not Silverados) around the year I like for about $5k. He's pretty up on which years to get and which to stay away from and usually understands what you'd want to do to them, mechancially wise, to get them up to speed. But, I don't know how he gets these deals. However, that being said, he's also not afraid to purchase vehicles with salvage titles (assuming he feels comfortable with what he's getting), or trucks that are way past 200k miles.
If you get info from him it may be beneficial to CD on certain years or even non Chevy trucks that are pretty reliable. I've only had Chevy trucks (as trucks go) but not dead set against other brands.

I don't have the know-how and wouldn't touch a salvage or flood damage vehicle. Although some totalled out especially older and/or high mileage could be something not the difficult to fix or very costly (maybe percentage wise to value of truck per KBB).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 12:58 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trckn4life View Post
If you get info from him it may be beneficial to CD on certain years or even non Chevy trucks that are pretty reliable. I've only had Chevy trucks (as trucks go) but not dead set against other brands.

I don't have the know-how and wouldn't touch a salvage or flood damage vehicle. Although some totalled out especially older and/or high mileage could be something not the difficult to fix or very costly (maybe percentage wise to value of truck per KBB).
He lives in Knoxville, TN, but he's coming up around the end of April to go with to a car show down in Charlotte. I'll have to hit him up on the years, and I'll be glad to post what he thinks.

I'm not dead set against any other brands either. I will admit that I've had some issues with a past Dodge vehicle, but this was back in the 90's and it wasn't a truck. But other than that, if the truck can pull a trailer, camper, haul heavy stuff, and still clean up nicely for date weekend, then I don't really care what the badge says.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:07 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Hard to beat a 6.0L LQ9 Vortec V8 backed by a 4L80 then again the 5.3 is not to shabby either would suggest one stays away from the 4.8L as they burn the same amount of fuel as the 5.3L but get alot less power and tow alot less.

The Vortec High Output option was first introduced in 2004 to a limited market (mainly consisting of Texas and several surrounding areas); it was available nationwide for MY 2005. It was available for both the Chevy and GMC 1500 series trucks.

This special edition package (under option code B4V) included several options previously not found on the standard 1500 model, most notably the LQ9 6.0 L V-8 engine (the same used for the Silverado SS, the 2005-2006 GMC Denalis and the Cadillac Escalade). The LQ9 motor was rated at 345 hp (257 kW) at 5200 rpm and 380 lb·ft (515 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm, which was the same specifications shared in the SS models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...t.2FVortec_Max

Old 03-07-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Hard to beat a 6.0L LQ9 Vortec V8 backed by a 4L80 then again the 5.3 is not to shabby either would suggest one stays away from the 4.8L as they burn the same amount of fuel as the 5.3L but get alot less power and tow alot less.

The Vortec High Output option was first introduced in 2004 to a limited market (mainly consisting of Texas and several surrounding areas); it was available nationwide for MY 2005. It was available for both the Chevy and GMC 1500 series trucks.

This special edition package (under option code B4V) included several options previously not found on the standard 1500 model, most notably the LQ9 6.0 L V-8 engine (the same used for the Silverado SS, the 2005-2006 GMC Denalis and the Cadillac Escalade). The LQ9 motor was rated at 345 hp (257 kW) at 5200 rpm and 380 lb·ft (515 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm, which was the same specifications shared in the SS models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevro...t.2FVortec_Max
Seems like I remember my buddy talking about this engine. I think he said before if you can find an '04 with this engine, you need to grab it up.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Seems like I remember my buddy talking about this engine. I think he said before if you can find an '04 with this engine, you need to grab it up.
Isn't this the one that was referred to as high output 1500 or something to that affect?

Old 03-07-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckn4life View Post
Isn't this the one that was referred to as high output 1500 or something to that affect?
I think so! That's why he said don't always look at the model and the year and assume it's what you want, look for this engine in particular.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:47 AM

997 posts, read 849,867 times
My 2004 hd 2500 4x4 has been a superb vehicle since new. The motor and trans are the least of my worries as they both perform like new. I've bucket flushed the trans 4 or 5 times thru T he years si h regular oil changes on oil he motor. Some of the week points that the Silverado experiences are front wheel bearings, mine went at around 100k. I had a slight leak around the water pump and upon changing it it was just the the gasket that had wore out (155k). I changed the front brake pads at 148k and the rears at 144k. The radiator cracked (plastic tank) at around 135k. I just changed the front upstream bank 1 (driverside) oxygen sensor (32$ off of amazon). The plugs and coil packs were replaced at 100k.
Another common failure on all 3 gm v8's are the studs that hold the exhaust manifold to the heads. I had the rear ones brake off on both sides at about 160k. They were able to drill out the old bolt and replace them. DEFINATLY go to a shop that specializes in that repair, as it is key to get a straight true hole drilled in the middle of the broken stud, otherwise you will have to remove heads (over $2000). I paid $300 per side. They make a repair part (search YouTube) that bolts to the head and pushes manifold tight to the head. Still have the original alternator.
It has been an amazing vehicle!

Old 03-15-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
My 2004 hd 2500 4x4 has been a superb vehicle since new. The motor and trans are the least of my worries as they both perform like new. I've bucket flushed the trans 4 or 5 times thru T he years si h regular oil changes on oil he motor. Some of the week points that the Silverado experiences are front wheel bearings, mine went at around 100k. I had a slight leak around the water pump and upon changing it it was just the the gasket that had wore out (155k). I changed the front brake pads at 148k and the rears at 144k. The radiator cracked (plastic tank) at around 135k. I just changed the front upstream bank 1 (driverside) oxygen sensor (32$ off of amazon). The plugs and coil packs were replaced at 100k.
Another common failure on all 3 gm v8's are the studs that hold the exhaust manifold to the heads. I had the rear ones brake off on both sides at about 160k. They were able to drill out the old bolt and replace them. DEFINATLY go to a shop that specializes in that repair, as it is key to get a straight true hole drilled in the middle of the broken stud, otherwise you will have to remove heads (over $2000). I paid $300 per side. They make a repair part (search YouTube) that bolts to the head and pushes manifold tight to the head. Still have the original alternator.
It has been an amazing vehicle!
Speaking of a 2500 4X4, how much do you think would be a reasonable offer on a 2004 in decent condition if I happen to find one?

Old 03-17-2017, 11:38 AM

997 posts, read 849,867 times
i would like to think I could get somewhere between $6500- $9000 for mine. I see them on Craigslist for more but they who knows what they end up getting. My body is in pretty good shape for Chicago winters. The rockers near the cab corners are just starting to bubble. They rust from the inside. I've started to spray fluid film inside of then and inside the bottoms of the doors, removed the tailights and spray it inside the wheel wells. Eventually I will replace the rockers. Good luck with your search
Attached Thumbnails
Reconditioning An Older Chevy Silverado-img_3276.jpg  

Old 03-20-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
i would like to think I could get somewhere between $6500- $9000 for mine. I see them on Craigslist for more but they who knows what they end up getting. My body is in pretty good shape for Chicago winters. The rockers near the cab corners are just starting to bubble. They rust from the inside. I've started to spray fluid film inside of then and inside the bottoms of the doors, removed the tailights and spray it inside the wheel wells. Eventually I will replace the rockers. Good luck with your search
What is this fluid film? How do you apply it? I grew up in PA and my truck I bought new so it spent a few years basically 05-08 in PA...And has some rust on hitch, underneath. Just wondering as I'm still hoping to get many more years out of this truck. How can you spot or catch this early?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC