Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 08:18 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,008,183 times

Advertisements

Not attempting to be biased (as noted by my screen name) but I "thought" that I read somewhere that GM surpassed BMW in terms of reliability.

I have a 1999 Camaro Z28 with 225k miles and I have only had to replace the expected items of that mileage. All the drive-belt engine accessories for example. The engine itself and the transmission itself still have absolutely no issues. I also have a 2017 Chevrolet Camaro V6. Its coming up to 18k miles but it feels like a pretty solid car. I believe 100 - 150k miles would be a very reasonable expectation of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 08:25 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Not attempting to be biased (as noted by my screen name) but I "thought" that I read somewhere that GM surpassed BMW in terms of reliability.

I have a 1999 Camaro Z28 with 225k miles and I have only had to replace the expected items of that mileage. All the drive-belt engine accessories for example. The engine itself and the transmission itself still have absolutely no issues. I also have a 2017 Chevrolet Camaro V6. Its coming up to 18k miles but it feels like a pretty solid car. I believe 100 - 150k miles would be a very reasonable expectation of it.
It's not difficult to surpass the Germans on reliability. The Japanese, that's another story.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:34 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
I've got a 2005 Colorado with 230k on it right now.

I had a pre-emptive transmission rebuild done on it.. Burnt fluid.. Probably more my fault than anything, I believed the "100k mile fluid" thing..

I had a fuel pump quasi-failure.. It started acting flaky.. Before it failed I replaced it.

Had several problems with the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid.. But since I replaced it with an updated model, no problems.

Catalytic Converter.. BOTH of them.. have failed and had to be replaced. And of course one is on the exhaust manifold. Pre-Cat or whatever they're calling those. i'm not California or New York, so.. Neither was really bad. About $300 for each one. I've had CAT problems on both my GM vehicles.

that's about it.. I did have a MAP sensor wiring break that drove me nuts and finally the dealer tracked down.

Other things are more annoyances.. Flickering lights on the dash, and dash lights that occasionally don't work. Pretty sure it's the dimmer, but I haven't gotten the gumption to replace it yet.

Seat has a weird hole worn in it. But, that's sort of to be expected at 230k.. Sort of like complaining that the brake pedal rubber cover is wearing at that mileage.

Engine seems perfect. Never had a problem from it. Not even a valve cover leak. And at 230k.. that's rather shocking to me.

Steering wheel is starting to flake.. Again, really to be expected at this age.

This is something of a project vehicle for me.. I hope to keep it to 300k miles. I want to have gotten 300k out of a vehicle. Plus, my house will be paid off around that time, so.. I'll probably go with another Chevy product.

Now. I will say. before this. I had a 97 S-10.. 3 transmission failures before 120k miles. First two were replaced under warranty.. Third I paid for. If that had happened again.. I would not be happy.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:35 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Oh.. Forgot about this little annoyance.. Apparently the ignition switch is getting a little flaky in age as well.. About once every 3 to 4 months, the Pass-Lock will engage. Happened to me this morning. Stopped to get a cup of coffee, come back out.. No start and the pass-lock light is flashing.

Sat there and drank my coffee for 10 minutes.. Started up and drove away.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:12 AM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
Now that the thread got bumped, I can add in the updated JD Power Initial Quality study that just came out last week. I've posted on several threads here that there are some significant flaws in this study, but it isn't worthless, and is probably the best we have (note though that this is initial quality which isn't the same as long term reliability, although as I guess there would be a decent correlation) Apparently, beating the Japanese in initial quality isn't so hard to do anymore:

Old 06-30-2017, 09:14 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Id have to think more, but off the top of my head, our old 01 LeSabre had right at 300000 on it when it died from a bad fuel pump. Other than the plastic intake, and wear items such as brakes it never gave me any trouble. The 06 LaCrosse that repalced it has close to 200000 if it hasnt already gone over, (Im seldom in it) and hasnt had anything other than the idler pulley replaced. Now, it did have a new BCM installed because for some reason the new key for it wouldnt accept it. I think I did have both front wheel bearings changed. My 98 1500 had a transmission replaced under warranty, and the fuel pump replaced. My 08 2500 had the trans line cooler orings leak, and the oil pan leakined, but both were fixed under warrranty and never gave me any other trouble. Our Enclave has been 100% trouble free, my 13 1500 has been trouble free mechanically. The pocket pieces on the back of the front seats had to be replaced. I had heated seats put in, and the originals just kept coming out. Our 05 Uplander, it had too many problems to even remember..................

Old 06-30-2017, 10:05 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Only GM cars I owned were Cadillacs and a Buick Riviera 3.8 supercharged...

I only go for V8 and rear wheel drive.
I had nothing but horrible luck with fords.

I fix fords but drive Chevys.

That Northstar was a PITA when it broke... I think they hired someone from Ford to design that one...

My older trucks except for the TBI 454 K2500 had no problems taking a beating.

The best one I had was the 07 classic. I'm convinced there was no killing it... except for the front end... but I'd rather throw tie rods pitman arms idler arms and hubs in every 60-80k than an engine or trans like dodge or ford...

So far the 14 and 16 LTZ Z71s are holding strong...

Old 06-30-2017, 12:39 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
1997 chevy tahoe with 209,000 miles on it all original engine, trans and rear and its a daily driver.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:53 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
All I can say is I loved my Volt. And in general, they have proven to be quite reliable. It was well built, comfortable, and so fuel efficient overall. I'd entertain the thought of having another GM EV/PHEV in the future.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
Now that the thread got bumped, I can add in the updated JD Power Initial Quality study that just came out last week. I've posted on several threads here that there are some significant flaws in this study, but it isn't worthless, and is probably the best we have (note though that this is initial quality which isn't the same as long term reliability, although as I guess there would be a decent correlation) Apparently, beating the Japanese in initial quality isn't so hard to do anymore:
No, there isn't a correlation between initial quality and long term reliability. Kia ranks at the top of that initial quality list you posted, yet look at how many engines they're having to replace right now.

I remember when my grandmother bought a brand new 2000 Buick Century, it ranked high in "initial quality" too, but that car turned out to be a POS despite being driven by a little old lady and garaged since new. Constant coolant leaks, electrical problems, window regulator problems, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC