Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 06:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

We have Tahoe that needs new tires...most driving done in areas w/a lot of rain and some ice/snow--
We have two homes in DFW and Sarasota FL area and drive back and forth---lot of highway driving
Want something that has better than average wet traction and ride comfort since we make longer drives...
Costco is having sale on Michelin--
OE are Bridgestone and they have been better than expected...about 60K on car and tires are OE 275-55R-20
Had one pick up piece of metal on highway--went flat but was repaired and functions fine after 18mo.
My husband has tires rotated regularly at the Chevy dealer he bought from when he gets the oil changed...

Tire Rack showed 3 choices based on hierachy of requirements
Michelin Premier LTX--139 ratings w/4.5+ stars...
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus--120 ratings with 4.5
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus --that has 207 ratings w/4.5+ stars

POSTED LINK w/3 TIMED OUT--

The one common complaint about the Michelin model on Tire Rack is that they wear quickly and don't last for the 60K supposed shelf-life...
Other comments very positive about the wet/dry road handling, comfort level so I am hoping buying through Costco might help if we need to replace more often than 60K...

Any comments about any of the 3?

Last edited by loves2read; 06-23-2017 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 08:34 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
I wont have another Michelin!
We have the Dueler on our Enclave. 15000 on them right now, and they look fine and the ride is good.
My experience with Pirelli is limited to one set of tires, was not pleased with them - too loud.

Ive recommend the Nitto Crosstek several times, and I will also suggest them now. I havent had a set in a while, since 2013, but I know several people who have had them, and when I replace the tires on my truck in a couple of weeks, it will have them. I had them on my old truck. I notice less hydroplaning, and the one time I was in the snow with them, they performed flawlessly. They had around 10000 on them, and the guy at the dealer thought they were new. The people I know who have had them were getting between 75 - 85000 on them. If they made in the size for my Enclave, it most likely would have them as well.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:26 AM

I have Michelin on my Toyota Camry -09--
Don't drive car that much but tires have been very good
And have friend who bought Michelin for her Camry based on my recommendation and has been very happy with them as well...

Have you tried the Michelin Defender LTX M/S or the Premier LTX?
The complaint about the Defenders from most reviews is that they are noisy--
Maybe not initially but after about 12-15K miles after wear sets in...
So yours might start to become more noticeable--or not--

My husband prefers to stay with brands he knows -- like Goodyear or Michelin--
Not that they are always the better tire--
He doesn't do lot of research---that is more my part of the relationship...

Old 06-23-2017, 05:26 PM

I wont have ANY Michelin. Enclave had a set of them, don't recall which ones, but had less than 25000 and were basically wore out. Several people I know who had Michelins all said they wore out way too fast for Michelins. My boss had 3 sets on his truck, none got more than 40000 miles. He has the Nitto on there now. Told me he should have switched sooner.

I wont own a Good for a Year either. Same thing, they just wear out way too fast.

Unfortunatly, I have the Premiers on my Mustang right now, it was all I could get in a pinch. They have less than 2000 miles on them, and I can already tell they are not going to wear well. At least the noise level is lower than the Pirellies I took off.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Regardless of the manufacturer warranty, the best wet/ice traction tires are not going to last as long as summer tires. The compounds are designed to stay more pliable in the cold, so they wear faster. If you ar driving the average 12,000 miles/year, you still only. Have to replace them every 3 years if you get 36,000. I wouldn't want to go 5-6 years on the same tires anyway, by then the rubber can start to crack and get brittle.
I would suggest that you prioritize the traction ratings over the mileage ratings.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:14 AM

These tires will rarely see snow --we live in DFW area w second home in FL
Concerned more about wet roads --FL monsoons-- and hours of highway driving at 70
Want quiet, quality tires

Old 06-24-2017, 05:53 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
I have Continental Contacts on my Sierra (OEM), and can't wait to replace them with Bridgestone Duelers. My past trucks had Bridgestone Duelers and they were excellent.....the Continental Contacts are absolutely terrible in wet / snow......it's a Lease, otherwise I'd replace them immediately, as far as wear ?....they will not make it to the end of Lease.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I have Continental Contacts on my Sierra (OEM), and can't wait to replace them with Bridgestone Duelers. My past trucks had Bridgestone Duelers and they were excellent.....the Continental Contacts are absolutely terrible in wet / snow......it's a Lease, otherwise I'd replace them immediately, as far as wear ?....they will not make it to the end of Lease.
Which Duelers you going with? My 13 has the AT and have gotten me a good 35000 + so far. I may get another 5000 out of them, but they are getting noisy now.

OP something I just thought of, the Dueler Revo is a good tire too. Just right for the highway, and aggressive enough for snow and light ice.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:09 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Which Duelers you going with? My 13 has the AT and have gotten me a good 35000 + so far. I may get another 5000 out of them, but they are getting noisy now.

OP something I just thought of, the Dueler Revo is a good tire too. Just right for the highway, and aggressive enough for snow and light ice.
I'm going with the AT....Revos are suppose to be great, I just can't afford them.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:16 AM

Think we are going with the Michelin Defender LTX--
Sale goes through July 4--
My husband is in TX now so can wait until he gets back to buy them
Costco --whose sale runs out today--had lot of complaints about the time it takes to get a rotation done for warranty. The Costco in TX we use is not as close as the one in FL
Found local FL tire place with good reviews on Tire Rack and couple of others who has almost same price as Costco...

One point---
Costco, this tire place, and the Chevy dealer I called all said we needed an alignment after replacing the set---
Is that accurate?
We have no issues with the alignment now--car tracks straight--tires are wearing evenly --he gets them rotated at the Chevy dealer he bought from...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC