Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:54 PM

250 posts, read 1,118,680 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a truck, a 2000 Silverado Z71 4x4, 5.3l, 4L60E with only 92k miles. So far it runs a drives great... 99% of the time. However, a few days ago when lightly taking-off from a stop light it seemed to miss 3rd gear. The RPM's went up like it was in neutral so I backed off the throttle, I felt it engage 3rd, then I was on my way without issue. I was concerned that the 3/4 clutch pack might be toast, but the symptoms aren't lining up with the issue. Since then I've tried to replicate the issue with light take-offs, hard take-offs and everything in between with no luck.

2 days ago I was driving to work and it happened again under very light acceleration. I let off the throttle again but it did not go into gear this time. I went to grab the shifter to manually put it into 2nd and when I touched it the indicator flickered between "D" and "N" before I switched to 2nd. It went into 2nd without issue so I put it into drive and it ran through the rest of the gears without issue.

No other symptoms, shifts very smoothly, will go in and hold 3rd even under hard acceleration without issue, Trans fluid is clean and has no burnt odor.

What's the deal? Is it the 3/4 clutch pack or is it something else?

Last edited by inderocker; 07-13-2017 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 05:41 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
How many miles? The 4L60e was never the most robust trans. I had a 94 Caprice Wagon with that transmission and not many of them made it past 150,000 (which I guess isn't that bad). I think mine made it to 160,000 but it had random quirks up to that point. (Torgue Converter shudder and cracked flex plates were common)

My guess is it's the transmission. Be easy on it and it could last a good while still. Also, there are some shady rebuild places if you do go for a repair. Make sure to find someone that knows what they are doing.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:50 PM

Sorry, I forgot to add that info. It only has 92k miles.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:29 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inderocker View Post
Sorry, I forgot to add that info. It only has 92k miles.
You would think it would still be OK..........try and discern what it's doing exactly. I'd find a forum that is specific to your truck. The Impala SS/B Body site was a wealth of info on these transmissions.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:01 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
I assume you checked the fluid?

Old 07-14-2017, 03:08 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You would think it would still be OK..........try and discern what it's doing exactly. I'd find a forum that is specific to your truck. The Impala SS/B Body site was a wealth of info on these transmissions.
GM-Trucks.com

Old 07-14-2017, 02:24 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,473 times
CHANGE the fluid

Old 07-15-2017, 04:59 PM

Update on the issue: it only seems to do this when the gear selector is in "D". If I drive around town with the selector in "3" it will run through the first 3 gears without issue. Fluid condition is good and clean, level is correct.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:28 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Get the codes read from the transmission. There'll be codes stored in it, even if it's not illuminating the CEL.

At 92k.. I'd more suspect a solenoid or similar, but.. Seeing the codes will pretty much point to the issue.

I'd honestly probably go to a dealership to get these read. You take it to a transmission shop.. You REALLY gotta know and trust those people, because the first answer is normally 'rebuild'.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:11 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
At what speed does this slipping occur?
If it is during take off or shortly after it, 3rd gear wouldn't be in use just then.
I had similar issue with mine at around 95K-96K miles. After take off, it would not seem to engage into the 2nd gear. RPM would climb up like crazy but no go at around 10-15 mile zone.

Like many, I assumed the transmission fluid would hold up 100K miles and didn't need flushing. Some actually advised against flushing the fluid period because they believed the loose particles would actually plug the channels and cause real issues, etc.

The Transmission guy pretty much said it was all hog wash. If properly flushed, it would never cause issues.
Where I and seemingly many others failed was believing Chevy and not doing any kind of due diligence until sh.t hit the fan. The transmission place that rebuilt mine actually recommended doing it every year but expecting to charge $180 for the work, I think they are being overly dramatic. I'd say; flush your fluid every 3 years or 30K miles, whichever comes first.

Anyhow, I did flush my tranny fluid and I believe I did a pretty good job, too. Used good fluid and correct filter, put in correct amount of fluid, etc. It seemed like it was better for a week or so but problem came back. Then I changed all the solenoids. Problem didn't go away.
I don't drive the truck much so it took a few weeks (100+ miles) or so for the symptoms to make way to the actual issue: broken torque converter.
Mine was probably not very common. I think most similar issues I have seen on Silverado forums were pointing to what Labonte18 mentioned; bad solenoid.

As mentioned, check for scan codes and go from there. If no codes coming up, I'd have a reputable transmission shop check.
Or, take it in for a flush and see if they notice anything wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC