Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
Buick doesn't have great US sales numbers (although they outsold Acura and Infiniti in 2016, probably two of more notable competitors, and got outsold by Lexus) but sold almost 1.2 million vehicles in China last year. The real question is could they discontinue US sales without it impacting Buick's China sales (is part of the Chinese allure that it is a historic and current US brand?) My guess is Buick is here to stay due to its importance in China.
I forgot about that. In China Buick the the car to have for the up and comers. Kind of like BMWs used to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 10:02 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
I had a volt 2013 on a lease and used very little gas. Great car except very claustrophobic. I wondered why GM wouldn't make it a little larger for their next generation. They did make improvements though. Three years of no problems is fine with me. GM is making much better cars now...

Old 07-26-2017, 11:26 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times
Well, what they are doing with the Volt tech is exactly what they should have done early on: put it in a true 5-7 place CUV. That's where the market is headed anyhow, so just go there with it. Makes a lot of sense and would sell quite well IF they advertise it (when was the last time you saw a Volt ad on TV?).

Old 07-26-2017, 11:30 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times
Quote:
Did you know that Japan provided it's automakers subsidies around the same time (estimated at $3.8 billion)? They also spent 20 billion lowering the value of the yen because exporters led by Toyota needed it done. The EU gave European manufacturers almost $5 billion in low interest loans, and individual countries did more. Do you know that US states and municipalities have provided over $4 billion in subsidies to foreign manufacturers in terms of tax credits, land discounts and other items to get plants built in their area?

The Auto industry is a gigantic part of the economy and countries, states, and localities feel like assistance is a worthwhile investment.

The Japanese have some great auto manufacturers that bring so much to the industry (as does the US). They may be a large reason while the quality of automobile manufacturing as a whole is as high as it is today. But lets not pretend that that GM is the only company in the world to ever get some government "assistance" and has done nothing innovative.

This needs to be repeated. The BANKING meltdown of 2005-2008 is what precipitated the bailouts of the automakers (and others) not that they were building crap products. Because of that banking meltdown, just about every country in the world had to prop up their manufacturing companies. Not just the US and the Big 3, but Japan and Europe did as well. If we didn't, the economic fallout would have been substantial.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:04 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
Buick doesn't have great US sales numbers (although they outsold Acura and Infiniti in 2016, probably two of more notable competitors, and got outsold by Lexus) but sold almost 1.2 million vehicles in China last year. The real question is could they discontinue US sales without it impacting Buick's China sales (is part of the Chinese allure that it is a historic and current US brand?) My guess is Buick is here to stay due to its importance in China.
I think the same. Also, if GM dropped Buick they would have to drop the GMC brand. The two are co-located to give those dealers a full line of vehicles to sell.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:29 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I think the same. Also, if GM dropped Buick they would have to drop the GMC brand. The two are co-located to give those dealers a full line of vehicles to sell.
Why is there even a GMC brand? There's no difference between a GMC and Chevy truck. That's why GM got rid of Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Saturn. They were selling the same cars with different badges. Ford dumped Mercury, and Chrysler dumped Plymouth for the same reasons.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
  • The Buick seems a nice design, but I am not sure who it's marketing target is.. Older folks?

I own a 2006 Lacrosse, it's very deceiving car in that it looks smaller than it is. Four 6'2" 250 pound men could be very comfortable in it. I can fit a 10 foot 2*4 in it... LOL...inside... Buick has had difficulty shedding that "old folks" image but I could really care less. I've bough them exclusively since the early 90's and that image is benefit as far as I'm concerned. You can get some really nice low mileage first owner cars very cheap.

The one I have now was $30K car, I paid $4K with 114K miles on it. It's expected that car will go at least to 200K. Well taken care of interior and exterior, this one wasn't as I found out but typically well maintained mechanically since it's older crowd that buys them new.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:32 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Why is there even a GMC brand? There's no difference between a GMC and Chevy truck. That's why GM got rid of Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Saturn. They were selling the same cars with different badges. Ford dumped Mercury, and Chrysler dumped Plymouth for the same reasons.
GMC is marketed as an upscale vehicle - especially in Denali trim - and fills the spot before Cadillac. Chevy is a mass market/worker truck. GMC's sticker for more and sell for more than comparable Chevy and Buick models.

Great way of looking at it:

Chevy - the worker at the construction site
GMC - the boss at the construction site
Cadillac - the guy that own the construction site.

For the most part today, the brand are sold in stand alone Chevy stores, Buick/GMC stores, and stand alone Cadillac stores. Get rid of Buick or GMC and those 1000 or so stores can't stay open.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:11 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,730 times
GM is currently doing a very good job at streamlining and making their processes as well as their model lineups more efficient and profitable. While I get irritated over the amount of bailout money that the US manufacturers received, it is a very good point that was brought up regarding what Japan did for their manufacturers. Both auto and others in Japanese industry were likely saved by the money manipulation that occurred. It also would be wise to remember that Honda and Toyota have both been identified as under-reporting quality issues and potential safety issues for decades. They haven't always been as fabulous as many people thought they were.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Cadillac - the guy that own the construction site.
Nah - that guy is in a 1998 Saturn SC2. He is frugal - that is how he got and stays rich.

The Caddy Escalade is the guy who comes to the Construction site to sell little bags of white powder to the workers. Or the 57 y/o project manager having a mid life crises. (When his Vette is int he shop).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC