Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 04:09 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Tastes have changed, most people nowadays consider stuff like carriage roofs and white wall tires to be tacky.
I agree. The Cadillac buyers that wanted all the glitz and flash of the 60's and 70's are dead or getting there. Notice there's nobody trying to capture that market because it might number in the dozens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 07:48 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
The Cadillac brand needs a real swift hard kick in the azz...

Their reboot in 08/09/10 is a disgrace.

Duh, uh, umm, we're going to copy what Mercedes Lexus BMW Infinity Acura are doing.

Cadillacs today, and I say this as a Cadillac enthusiast, are not cadillacs.

Cadillac used to be the epitome of American luxury.
Now. Pfft. Another faux leather coupe/sedan 3 letter acronym plastic cheap and chintzy feel. Never mind significant downsize.

Bring back the Deville the Fleetwood/Fleetwood Brougham, ElDorado, Seville.
Full frame, rear wheel drive, chrome rockers, carraige roofs, chrome knobs and buttons, wood grain trim, leather, progressive air suspension ride like a baby carraige, fat white walls, you know. Cadillac stuff.

None of this cheap chintzy crap, fwd and awd on low pro tires.

Keep the CTS line up for those looking for a cheaper version of what Mercedes BMW offer.

I like the "grandpa cars" always have since I was old enough to drive.
Owned a couple Devilles and Fleetwood Broughams, 1 was a limo.
Dream ride is a 67 coupe Deville convertible
And an 84 coupe deville.
people can't park a land yacht!
Funny, I could at 17. A limo at that...

Build me a modern rendition of a Fleetwood, I'd buy it in a heart beat if it meets Cadillac criteria. V8 RWD full frame real leather chrome white walls etc.
but there already is its called an Escalade.

An escalade is a rebadged tahoe. I can buy an LTZ tahoe, get a fancier looking interior for 30k less than an Escalade...

Me and you would get along so well! You speak the truth about Cadillac! They’ve seriously have lost their way and are chasing a dream thinking about becoming the next BMW. I also love the old school “grandpa” “gangster” Caddy’s of the past. I guess we are unique in that sense and don’t fit in the majority as younger guys. I’ve never been into fast cars or sporty rides, I’ve always been about big land barges that stand out and have style n class to them. People see me driving around in my old Cadillacs like I’m some sort of OutKast. I look even younger than my age, so to most people, I can understand why lol

Plus nothing today on the road, not even an S class or 7 series rides as smooth, and cloud like, how a 70’s Caddy or Lincoln rides, nor do they have the same kind of comfort and interior room.

Oh and how about all that trunk space? The days when you could move your entire apartment with those massive trunks. Trunks are afterthought with automakers in this modern era, this is why everybody is upgrading to CUV’s. They do a much better job at space management and are versatile with it. But unfortunately they all mostly look horribly ugly and lack the excitement and styling like a sedan does.

Im sticking to my classics until I’m dead n gone. No way would I ever consider a new Cad, they don’t look like real Cadillacs anymore and what’s worse, it seems as if the company despises its past like it wants nothing to do with it, and won’t look toward it for help either. At least Lincoln brought the Continental back, that was a big deal. It shows that they are trying to regain some of its lost glory and heritage while Cadillac can care less about theirs.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:00 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Tastes have changed, most people nowadays consider stuff like carriage roofs and white wall tires to be tacky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I agree. The Cadillac buyers that wanted all the glitz and flash of the 60's and 70's are dead or getting there. Notice there's nobody trying to capture that market because it might number in the dozens.
LOL I turned 30 not too long ago...

When all my buddies were playing with VW gtis, jettas, Corrados, or mustangs and Camaros whining about being broke...

I had grandpa cars or pickups.

They had to plan "dates" when their parents or their girlfriends parents weren't home. Me. I had a big old back seat and knew all the areas that were desolate.

They all used to say that's impossible to do the deed in the back seat comfortably. LOL obviously you don't have a Cadillac.

Benefits of a 94 Deville 93/94 Fleetwood Brougham...
1. Her parents didn't think you were a speed demon.
2. Her parents saw a crash worthy vehicle.
3. Her parents didn't ever question going out... except one father of a girl I dated was on to me. Nice big back seat You have there. You mind explaining why at 16 17 you have a car with such a big back seat and not a sports car like everyone else your age? I wasn't born last night punk.

I'll take a big ol caddy any day over these new things they call a Cadillac.
Ride like a baby carraige. Lazy boy recliners for front seats. Oh yeah. Those were awesome cars.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:28 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:

When all my buddies were playing with VW gtis, jettas, Corrados, or mustangs and Camaros whining about being broke...

I had grandpa cars or pickups.

They had to plan "dates" when their parents or their girlfriends parents weren't home. Me. I had a big old back seat and knew all the areas that were desolate.

They all used to say that's impossible to do the deed in the back seat comfortably. LOL obviously you don't have a Cadillac.

Benefits of a 94 Deville 93/94 Fleetwood Brougham...
1. Her parents didn't think you were a speed demon.
2. Her parents saw a crash worthy vehicle.
3. Her parents didn't ever question going out... except one father of a girl I dated was on to me. Nice big back seat You have there. You mind explaining why at 16 17 you have a car with such a big back seat and not a sports car like everyone else your age? I wasn't born last night punk.

I'll take a big ol caddy any day over these new things they call a Cadillac.
Ride like a baby carraige. Lazy boy recliners for front seats. Oh yeah. Those were awesome cars.
I'm 38, and I remember my grandparent's 1984 Olds Ninety-Eight Regency Brougham with the vinyl roof and velour pillow top seats... I have fond memories of cars like that, but I know they'll never return.

I also remember when they traded that '84 for an '89 Ninety-Eight Regency, it still had the vinyl roof and pillow top seats, but it was front wheel drive and just an all around better made car.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:30 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
Okay so you're not all dead yet but the market of you and your peers is so small it doesn't make sense chasing it.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:54 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,135,229 times
Why would anyone in their right mind spend $50K or more on a Cadillac, when they could get a Lexus that will be way more reliable and hold its value as well.

The Northstar engines were not reliable, then GM moved to the 3.6L engine which was actually very nice, but had timing chain problems with cost $$$ to fix, and then GM moved to the 3.6L DI which had even more timing chain problems, which were not really fixed until 2012. These were GM's best engine offerings too :-(

So you have these Cadillac buyers who try to remain faithful GM buyers and getting $2-3000 timing chain problems in the 3.6L's or head gasket and other problems in the northstar and, after a while, they probably just said screw it, a Lexus or Infiniti will fare much better.

Why would you buy a Cadillac XTS for $44k+ when you can get a Impala LTZ for almost $10K less that will have a slightly less luxurious interior, but will still be nice enough. The ATS is cramped, the CTS is actually very nice, but I think its a bit overpriced, and the CT6 is very nice, but also overpriced to me.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:23 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Why would anyone in their right mind spend $50K or more on a Cadillac, when they could get a Lexus that will be way more reliable and hold its value as well.

The Northstar engines were not reliable, then GM moved to the 3.6L engine which was actually very nice, but had timing chain problems with cost $$$ to fix, and then GM moved to the 3.6L DI which had even more timing chain problems, which were not really fixed until 2012. These were GM's best engine offerings too :-(

So you have these Cadillac buyers who try to remain faithful GM buyers and getting $2-3000 timing chain problems in the 3.6L's or head gasket and other problems in the northstar and, after a while, they probably just said screw it, a Lexus or Infiniti will fare much better.

Why would you buy a Cadillac XTS for $44k+ when you can get a Impala LTZ for almost $10K less that will have a slightly less luxurious interior, but will still be nice enough. The ATS is cramped, the CTS is actually very nice, but I think its a bit overpriced, and the CT6 is very nice, but also overpriced to me.

That’s why it’s best to keep it old school and just buy a real Cadillac that was well built, reliable and luxurious.

Anything from the 60’s will do.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:02 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
I inherited my mom's '05 deVille(at 32K on the odo ) and now it is almost to 70K on the odo. I decided to keep it as I knew we wouldn't get anything for it around here. Unless it starts costing a lot to keep on the road, I will keep it. We just got back from a second trip to Philadelphia via South Dakota ( live in West TX). Over 5,600 hundred miles. We took some small furniture and pictures for my daughter's condo. We had plenty of room and the car drove like a dream. Plenty of power on steep grades. MPG ranged mostly around 26-28 mpg on regular. My only complaint is parking it but I had been used to driving Accords with 5 speeds. LOL

My parents bought GM from the start of their marriage: 49 Chevy, 56 Chevy, 65 Chevy, 73 Olds 88, 79 Old 98 diesel ( what a joke!), 84 Cad. Fleetwood, 85 Cad Fleetwood, 91 Fleetwood, 96 deVille, 97 deVille, and the 05 deVille I am driving now. Dad had Chevy pickups: 59, 75, 85, 00. They were loyal GM all the way as were my grandparents buying Chevys and Buick. I will say that everyone of the Caddys that my parents had was better than the last one. I just really think that when it is time to part with the 05 deVille, I will probably go with another Lexus ( wife's car). I got used to not having to have the mechanic on speed dial like I did with a Volvo years ago. That is what scares me away from Euro cars. JMHO .

IF I were into collectors, my dream car would be a 59 de Ville or Fleetwood. They were the arch type of Cadillac IMHO.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:27 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,521,992 times
Quote:
Bring back the Deville the Fleetwood/Fleetwood Brougham, ElDorado, Seville.
Full frame, rear wheel drive, chrome rockers, carraige roofs, chrome knobs and buttons, wood grain trim, leather, progressive air suspension ride like a baby carraige, fat white walls, you know. Cadillac stuff.
That would be the dumbest idea in the world. The reason they stopped making those models was because few people were buying them anymore. The situation would be even worse now. It would be a 100% guaranteed failure. It would be like trying to make a station wagon.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:27 AM

116 posts, read 314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
Volt should die because it has less range then the Bolt and the Bolt is cheaper
Volt is a plugin hybrid, and Bolt is a pure electric vehicle. You can use Volt as a commuter or drive around the town solely on electricity, or you can take a road trip like in a normal car - drive for 300-350 miles, refill the gas tank, and drive 300 miles more. You can't do it with Bolt.

The Gen1 Volt was an epic car. Unfortunately, the Gen2 (2016-2018), while more technically advanced and improved in everything technology wise, looks like "any car" inside and outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC