Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 05:23 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,160,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Only people see driving a Buick Lacrosse are older folks who cannot or will not spring for a full sized Lexus, Audi, Mercedes-Benz or similar luxury "boat" of a car.

Remember Impalas from back in the day (1960's and 1970's) as a car my dad and other "adults" liked. Today haven't seen many on road aside from rental fleets and or LE vehicles. Here in NYC even LE is getting out of cars and moving towards crossover or SUVs.

Now Cadillac is something do see quite a lot of (again here in NYC/NJ area), even younger guys seem to like them.

Sonic is again something have only seen in rental car fleets.
To me there are only two distinctive Impala's; the beautiful ones from the sixties, and the big boats from the 90's.

I'll take a sixties version all day long.

My uncle had a 63? Jet Black Impala with Red interior and a white convertible roof when I was a kid. I will never forget that car. It is probably why I ended up with a convertible myself.

For me, the current Cadillacs are to angular. I've even considered the SLR from time to time. It seems to be a great convertible. But still too angular and though I am not sure of it's actual size, it just looks too big for my taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 05:29 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
  • I like the Volt.
  • The Buick seems a nice design, but I am not sure who it's marketing target is.. Older folks?
  • The Cadillac all pretty much look the same to me.
  • The Impala has no real distinguishing style.
  • And the Sonic I never heard of.

I think there is no real loss here except for the Volt. I guess they don't want to siphon sales from the Bolt, but if they had asked me I would have said, keep the Volt for a few more years and don't bother with the Bolt yet. I will not compete well with the Model3.
They want to replace the Volt with an SUV version in the 2020's. The Pacifica Hybrid has essentially already done this. The $40k compact sedan concept is one of the attributes that have been harming Volt sales.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:36 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,160,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
They want to replace the Volt with an SUV version in the 2020's. The Pacifica Hybrid has essentially already done this. The $40k compact sedan concept is one of the attributes that have been harming Volt sales.
I've also read now that they are losing money on each Volt built. Sounds like the new one you mention will be similar to the Bolt - but a plug in hybrid (If not, why two full electrics in the same stable that will compete with each other)? Since GM has no charging stations and does not plan to build out, I think them going full electric is a mistake.

Pacifica... Also something I have never heard of. Looks like I am behind in my reading; I stopped buying C&D, R&T and MT, because they all seemed to have the same main stories every month and that seemed to only consist of Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, BMW, Ferrari (or something else super expensive) and then shake the order and repeat.

Edit: OK, you mean the Chrysler Pacifica... Yes, that I have heard of... but don't follow.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:52 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,416,431 times
I'd probably leave the Impala alone for now. If nothing else, it makes for a decent fleet/taxi type vehicle. Sonics seem to do well around where I'm at. A decent starter type car. The LaCrosse, CT6 and XTS? I've seen them around but not in any real volume. The Volt? Never see that.

Part of my observations come from being affiliated, in a sideways sort of way, with a recycling yard that only buys insurance vehicles from auctions. Impalas and Sonics are automatic buys if they can win the auction. Buick and Cadillac, one or two on hand is enough. No Volts, ever. In other words, what sells to the repair shops dictates what the yard stocks. Impalas and Sonics do well.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:01 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
I've also read now that they are losing money on each Volt built. Sounds like the new one you mention will be similar to the Bolt - but a plug in hybrid (If not, why two full electrics in the same stable that will compete with each other)? Since GM has no charging stations and does not plan to build out, I think them going full electric is a mistake.

Pacifica... Also something I have never heard of. Looks like I am behind in my reading; I stopped buying C&D, R&T and MT, because they all seemed to have the same main stories every month and that seemed to only consist of Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, BMW, Ferrari (or something else super expensive) and then shake the order and repeat.

Edit: OK, you mean the Chrysler Pacifica... Yes, that I have heard of... but don't follow.
The Bolt is a plug in only and honestly I think it's a waste of time. The Volt is a plug on in hybrid that is far more practical on every level. It's not to be confused with a hybrid. It has the high torque advantages of an electric drive train without the range issues. GM basically wants to make the Volt into a more popular SUV body.

The Pacifica Hybrid is the same deal as the Volt. It gets 30 miles electric range and averages 30mpg on the generator but seats 6 people. Tops out just $5k more than a Volt with far more features (heated/vented seats, heated steering wheel, a $2k backseat video system, surround view cameras, full speed adaptive cruise, etc.). It's also eligible for the $7500 tax credit which makes it much cheaper than most fully loaded minivans.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:29 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Typical Detroit brand thinking. They only live for today and they get wiped out when the market changes. Oil could go back to $150 a barrel a month from now. Then they would have to start their EV and sub compact hatchback r and d over from scratch. In contrast Toyota strives to maintain high quality vehicles of all kinds from large trucks and SUVs to the Pruis and Yaris so that they are fine regardless of market preferences. When you exclude fleet sales Toyota is probably already the best selling brand in the USA. How much lower does GM want to sink?
Yea to bad the big3 are kicking Toyota's ass in pickup sales, Toyota cannot compete with the American trucks. Toyota only makes a half ton truck, big 3 males 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton. The American people want bigger vehicles and gas is cheap. We don't have to depend on OPEC because of Hydraulic fracturing and oil exploration in the Atlantic. So now we are putting the squeeze on OPEC. And now Americans want their big vehicles again. So don't say Detroit doesn't know what they are doing Toyota better watch out.

Last edited by easy62; 07-22-2017 at 08:38 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 09:23 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times
Quote:
  • And the Sonic I never heard of.
They do make good burgers.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:33 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Yea to bad the big3 are kicking Toyota's ass in pickup sales, Toyota cannot compete with the American trucks. Toyota only makes a half ton truck, big 3 males 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton. The American people want bigger vehicles and gas is cheap. We don't have to depend on OPEC because of Hydraulic fracturing and oil exploration in the Atlantic. So now we are putting the squeeze on OPEC. And now Americans want their big vehicles again. So don't say Detroit doesn't know what they are doing Toyota better watch out.
Yet Ford is the one trying to force those turbo V6's on everybody.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:41 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yet Ford is the one trying to force those turbo V6's on everybody.
What exactly is wrong with a Turbo v6? The Limited AWD 3.5L EcoBoost does 14.2 sec @ 100 mph. I'm not sure what you drive but that's pretty damn fast to me. I remember when getting anything in the 13/14@100 mph was exotic or high end sports cars.
This is a family sedan

Old 07-23-2017, 02:00 AM

4,604 posts, read 2,994,775 times
Default What model is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What exactly is wrong with a Turbo v6? The Limited AWD 3.5L EcoBoost does 14.2 sec @ 100 mph. I'm not sure what you drive but that's pretty damn fast to me. I remember when getting anything in the 13/14@100 mph was exotic or high end sports cars.
This is a family sedan
Taurus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC