Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,053,611 times

Advertisements

I don't see too many Sonics( Cruze's are everywhere) but I always liked the hatchback style. I think I see more Sparks but not too many of those, either. I'd very likely have bought a new Impala in 2014 had they offered a front bench seat. Instead I went with a smaller car with the same seating capacity. My dog didn't get a break.
The Volt's a rarity. Seeing a Tesla is like seeing a unicorn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 06:06 AM

17,295 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The Volt's a rarity. Seeing a Tesla is like seeing a unicorn.
Volts are around but not flashy enough to catch your eye. Teslas in Florida are very very popular as in you see one every day!

Old 07-25-2017, 07:02 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Volts are around but not flashy enough to catch your eye. Teslas in Florida are very very popular as in you see one every day!
Must be ritzy South Florida, because I've never seen a Tesla up here in the panhandle. I do see Volts occasionally though.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:10 AM

6,700 posts, read 5,928,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
GM just need to file for chapter 11 like it should have in 2008. Ron Paul was right about the bailouts. All it is doing is extending the inevitable.

Sell all their assets and repay the billions it was gifted. Issue an apology to the American people and never, EVER decide to go back to the automobile industry.

They should offer to buy back all cars they have ever made so everyone can buy a Toyota.

Basically a Cash for Trash. All the junk GM cars collected should either be junked or melted to make more Toyotas.
They should have gone through bankruptcy but that doesn't mean closing down; it just means reorganizing, selling off some assets, and canceling existing contracts (e.g. UAW labor contracts) so they can wipe the slate clean and reemerge, leaner and meaner and more competitive.

That's what Mitt Romney said should have happened, and he's right. The Bailout just delayed the inevitable, and gave labor a huge break that they didn't deserve. OK, that's a little harsh and some GM employees work hard, but honestly the UAW did plenty to break GM and didn't deserve to be bailed out and given 25% of GM ownership, in my opinion.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:57 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,414,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
They should have gone through bankruptcy but that doesn't mean closing down; it just means reorganizing, selling off some assets, and canceling existing contracts (e.g. UAW labor contracts) so they can wipe the slate clean and reemerge, leaner and meaner and more competitive.

That's what Mitt Romney said should have happened, and he's right. The Bailout just delayed the inevitable, and gave labor a huge break that they didn't deserve. OK, that's a little harsh and some GM employees work hard, but honestly the UAW did plenty to break GM and didn't deserve to be bailed out and given 25% of GM ownership, in my opinion.
Yea you say GM is going down the tubes right read this. Yep there going down the tubes ha ha they are making what the American people want and certain cars are just not selling so built what the people want.

General Motors US Sales Information | GM.com

Old 07-25-2017, 04:43 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Yea you say GM is going down the tubes right read this. Yep there going down the tubes ha ha they are making what the American people want and certain cars are just not selling so built what the people want.

Looks like a record year across the entire lineup including high margin SUVs.
Man, some people on this forum are completely out of touch with reality.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:28 PM

6,700 posts, read 5,928,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post

Well I didn't say GM's "going down the tubes" but they could have been leaner and meaner and unencumbered by expensive preexisting contracts. GM made some bad decisions and did not deserve to be bailed out. Work hard and be more innovative, like the Japanese did for decades. Now, as several have pointed out here, a lot of people wouldn't even consider a GM car. A Tahoe or truck, maybe.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:44 PM

17,613 posts, read 17,642,256 times
One of GM's problems is the buracracy slowing the pace of eliminating poor selling vehicles, developing new vehicles, or making changes to defects in existing vehicles. They need to be more fluid in their product decisions. Streamlining the GM vehicles lineup can help in the long run. Reduce production or shift production of low selling vehicles to foreign plants and sell them in markets where they're still selling well. Reduce redundancy in vehicles that are virtually the same. Though the sheet metal are different, people who follow car news know that FWD Cadillac can be bought for a lower price as a Buick or Chevy.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Well I didn't say GM's "going down the tubes" but they could have been leaner and meaner and unencumbered by expensive preexisting contracts. GM made some bad decisions and did not deserve to be bailed out. Work hard and be more innovative, like the Japanese did for decades. Now, as several have pointed out here, a lot of people wouldn't even consider a GM car. A Tahoe or truck, maybe.
They can't ged rid of the UAW and why should they men died to have the union because why should the big shots make millions of $$ and the ones who make them their million should only make min wage. The UAW did not create their mess with their contracts it was management like Rick, wagoner and Roger Smith both were accountants not auto people. They were only interested in keeping stockholders happy. The new CEO Mary T. Barra is a auto CEO, her father worked on the line, she went to GM technical institute she grew up around GM. The UAW like other unions made the middle class sorry my father retired from GM he was skilled tradesmen and I worked on the line at Chrysler, if you haven't worked for the big3 you shouldn't say a word about the UAW because you don't know squat what they do for their members.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
One of GM's problems is the buracracy slowing the pace of eliminating poor selling vehicles, developing new vehicles, or making changes to defects in existing vehicles. They need to be more fluid in their product decisions. Streamlining the GM vehicles lineup can help in the long run. Reduce production or shift production of low selling vehicles to foreign plants and sell them in markets where they're still selling well. Reduce redundancy in vehicles that are virtually the same. Though the sheet metal are different, people who follow car news know that FWD Cadillac can be bought for a lower price as a Buick or Chevy.
I'm so glad you are such a expert on how GM should run their company. Especially when you drive a Korean car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC