Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 07:40 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times

Advertisements

I suspect a bad ignition switch in my 2003 Chevy Silverado.

Symptoms:
Longer than normal cranking to start.

The instrument cluster dies intermittently while driving although the truck continues to run. It looks as if the key has been turned to the "run" position without starting.

When the instrument cluster fails the A/C stops blowing cold air. Once the cluster comes back to life it resumes.

** I am aware of the instrument cluster recall for this model. I have replaced the instrument cluster last year due to incorrect speedometer readings and other assorted failures. This current problem is not related.

Am I on the right track?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 08:10 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
There is a separate section of this forum for Chevrolet.

There is also GM-Trucks.com - The ultimate General Motors truck, crossover, and sport utility resource

Best to provide much more information about truck. Miles on odometer. Number of owners. Accidents. Other repairs, etc.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:13 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Do you have a ton of crap hanging off the trucknkey while I'm n the ignition? If do take it all off.

Start the truck and wiggle the key and ignition mechanism. Does it do the things you described?

If it doesn't I would start looking at the vehicke ground wires.
GM dashes are known to go out and stop working but it sounds to me like you have a bad ground on your interior. Could be a body module failing too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC