Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 06:51 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,992,132 times

Advertisements

My husband wants to replace his 15 Tahoe SLT w/another Tahoe
He really likes that SUV model--and has had good luck with Chevy so not likely to shop other brands
Tried an Enclave a few years ago and seats were not that comfortable for longer drives (which we do lot of)

Any negatives about new Tahoe anyone is aware of?
Will check some other Tahoe/Chevy forums but thought I would check here first...

Also any suggestions for getting best price?
We can afford to pay cash--would it make sense of look at 0% finance if it's on offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 07:06 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,492,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My husband wants to replace his 15 Tahoe SLT w/another Tahoe
He really likes that SUV model--and has had good luck with Chevy so not likely to shop other brands
Tried an Enclave a few years ago and seats were not that comfortable for longer drives (which we do lot of)

Any negatives about new Tahoe anyone is aware of?
Will check some other Tahoe/Chevy forums but thought I would check here first...

We can afford to pay cash--would it make sense of look at 0% finance if it's on offer?
Wow! I'm jealous that you guys are shopping for a new Tahoe while owning a 3 year old Tahoe! And can afford to pay cash for a new one!

This is what Consumer Reports says about the 2018 Chevy Tahoe:

"The Tahoe has a luxurious and quiet interior, but the ride is too stiff and the third-row seat is tight. In addition, the 5.3-liter V8 engine and six-speed automatic transmission combine to form a lackluster powertrain that returned 16 mpg overall. The touch-screen infotainment system is easy to use, and the front seats are very comfortable. The Magnetic Ride Control suspension on the Premier trim improves ride comfort, as well as handling response and capability. Properly equipped versions can tow 8,500 pounds. But if towing isn't your main concern, car-based SUVs drive better and are roomier. Lane-keeping assist is now available, joining the already-available blind-spot monitoring and cross-traffic alert systems. A 6.2-liter V8, paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission, is available on the new RST version."

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars.../2018/overview

I would first try to get the lowest price. Send out price requests through email to about 5 different dealerships and see who gives you the best deal, and then take the lowest price they give you and go through the process again, "Dealer A said they'll sell for X price, can you beat that?"

I haven't been a big fan of taking a 0% loan out when having the money in hand to own the vehicle free and clear, but I do understand the concept of investing the money and making money off of it when you're not paying any interest on the vehicle. Having said that, I would believe it's a bit tougher to get the very lowest price if the dealership is eagerly willing to give you a 0% loan. But again, there are those on this board who will disagree with that. The way I see it is, you're tying your money up either way. Either spending it all on the vehicle, or willing to not see that money for years and year by investing it. And, if you invest with the idea of being able to take out quickly if you need it, then I don't believe you're truly ready to invest it. Likewise, to leave it in your savings account wouldn't make sense either, because you're still using the money to buy the truck, you're just doing it piece by piece.

Anyway, if it was me, I would just buy the truck out right and be done with it. Obviously if you own a 2015 Tahoe and already have the money to buy a brand new 2018 with cash, then it doesn't take you long to replenish those funds. I would figure how much those payments would be on the new truck, buy it in full, and then take that estimated monthly payment and invest that each month.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:06 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,992,132 times
Thanks
I agree that he could wait
The car is in good shape mechanically and visually
He is just overly concerned the miles are getting where he gets better value trading now vs later
I dont agree
Would drive until we had major expense to repair and maybe more
We "know" this car
Buy new one abd could get lemon

Old 04-02-2018, 06:25 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,137,224 times
Quote:
Thanks
He is just overly concerned the miles are getting where he gets better value trading now vs later
I dont agree
We "know" this car
It will be under warranty and maybe lemon law would kick in

Old 04-02-2018, 11:35 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,536,061 times
[quote=loves2read;51447102
We can afford to pay cash--would it make sense of look at 0% finance if it's on offer?[/quote]

You've got the money...How about time

Consider a Factory Order, this way the vehicle will not be a part of
the dealers floor plan

I was able to get 2.9% through Wells Fargo Dealer Services ( 07/2017 ), my local branch
could not even come close and I've had an account with them for over 40yrs

I could have paid cash, however keeping more $$$ in my brokerage account has more
then off set the interest and it helped show a bit of activity on my bureau

Old 04-03-2018, 12:31 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,492,471 times
Quote:
Thanks
I dont agree
We "know" this car
The 2015 is a brand new SUV. It's only 3 years old! You guys are the one owner I'm assuming. If the SUV has more than 100,000 miles on it, then that tells me it's mostly highway miles. A 100,000 highway miles won't wear a car down like 100,000 city miles. And on those SUVs, a 100,000 miles is barely breaking those things in. Honestly, I'd take the money you have saved up for a new Tahoe and invest it or build your emergency fund if you haven't already. You can take a portion and put back for worst case scenario in terms of maintenance on the Tahoe you have, but I don't understand the idea of being worried about the cost of maintenance on your existing ride when you were able to save up the full amount on a new Tahoe in three year's time. If you can save up $40k+ for a brand new ride, you can afford to spend about $1,000k - $5k for maintenance, and I doubt you'll need to spend more than $2k on that 2015 anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC