Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 06:51 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Miss Holbrook, with all due respect, you are looking at Hemmings and "Classiccars.com" .... you may as well be looking at the DuPont Registry.

The gauge you SHOULD be using is Craigslist, and Autotrader.com.

I mean no offense, I'm just not sure why you feel your truck is a classic by default.

Fair enough! But that's what comes up when I google 1987 Chevy Silverados for sale. When I first looked it up, there was one for sale here locally on Craigslist for $15K... looked exactly like mine. How do I know if I post it on Craigslist for only a few thousand, that I'm not getting ripped off because I don't know better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
If you are targeting your truck at collectors, they want not a single flaw, every single record, they would probably call your truck "junk."

Been through this with a Jaguar. An XJ. Noooo..... Normal is nowhere near good enough. They want perfect.

If I depart from the conversation for the night, it is only because I must go to sleep. I will likely rejoin in later!

I'm not looking to sell it for restored retail, I'm wondering what it's worth to the guy who wants to restore it to perfect.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:56 PM

I realize it's not in restored condition now... but it's a nice clean truck for a restorer to start with. If that's only worth a few thousand, I'll keep it. I was just wondering if it might be worth half what a restored truck is worth? Something more than junk. And how do I reach those people? Craigslist? Ebay? Some other site?

Old 09-30-2018, 07:06 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...foajvmQ_hlja95 More realistic, not sure u should sell it for 2k thou. The deal breaker for me would be no ac, course live in Louisiana. Nice looking truck, if u don't need the money ask 12k for it. If that's a square body, which it may be, maybe the guy goes 10k. Not that many in that good a shape that haven't been all jacked up.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:27 PM

Thanks.... I just am not sure what to think, when I see similar examples for $2K and $12K... The right answer, I'm sure is somewhere in between. I'd like to give someone a good deal on a nice truck, but a price that isn't just foolish.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:36 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
Yea not a expert myself, thanking if it came and had original 454 in it bet 12 would be np. The 302 kinda hurts it, but w/4wheel drive and looks like 1 owner good condition 2k seems too low imo. Good luck figuring it out.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:54 PM

I think the engine is a 350. It's original.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Maybe $ 2000 smackers.
BS. that thing is worth around 7500 easily maybe even 9k if you hold out a while and list it in the right forums. As long as you dont need the money that bad and can hold out you’ll get it. It’s original, doesn’t look to be eaten with rust, doesn’t look beat to **** and it hasn’t gone through multiple owners. Everything looks clean it even has the original rally wheels. Those alone are worth 500 bucks by themselves. It looks to be complete has all the little trim pieces for the body. It doesn’t have dents or needs body work.

Diana don’t be fooled. The square bodies in clean shape (which your dads most certainly is) and being a 4x4 even if it has a 305 probably a TBI fuel injected are very desirable right now due to enthusiasts and most people looking for those trucks. The 305s are easily swapped for a roller 350. What takes a little bit away is the auto hubs and most likely a NP203 case. But that’s easily swapped out if needed. And it’s a 1/2 ton which means a D44 front. Regardless those are very easy to work on. And if someone wants a clean truck to restore this would be one. Contrary to popular belief a restorer wants as clean and as complete a truck as they can find. If that was my truck I would list it at 8500 and let them talk me down a few hundred bucks. At $2000 you’re literally giving it away.

Just to give you a idea I had a guy offer me $2500 for my old 89 gmc that needs a full resto. It is nowhere near as clean as that truck. At $2000 you’ll sell it in a day. Hell I’ll buy it if you were closer for 2k

You can go to a dealer and give them the vin. They can print out a build sheet. If it’s a 350 that’s even better. Look at the hood sticker. It will show the displacement. You’re looking for 5.7 not 5.0 at the engine size

Gmsquarebody.com
73-87chevytrucks.com
These are two good enthusiast websites to get some ideas of worth.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:36 PM

Thanks Electrician! I'll check out those forums. I appreciate it! I'm not in a hurry to sell it, and I don't expect top dollar for it, I just don't, like you say, want to be fooled.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Thanks Electrician! I'll check out those forums. I appreciate it! I'm not in a hurry to sell it, and I don't expect top dollar for it, I just don't, like you say, want to be fooled.
I can tell you at 2,000 you’re giving it away. At 5k it’s a buddy deal. I would buy that truck in a heartbeat knowing is a one owner and it’s that clean. Even with no AC it’s worth money. To put Ac in that truck wouldn’t be too hard as the parts are readily available to a restorer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC