Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 06:43 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,124 times

Advertisements

Miss Holbrook, you might see listings for it at 12k, 15k, more... Doesn't mean it is going to sell. Probably won't, at least not at that.

If you find the right buyer, you may get more. Otherwise.... It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it at any given time...

Comes down to "desirability" vs getting it sold, and for how much.

^ I would agree, check out the two enthusiast sites Electrician4You listed for a better shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 08:19 AM

14,461 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Thanks Creamer... I'm not interested in just 'getting it sold'. It could stay here the rest of its life if that's the best use of it.

I wouldn't even think of selling it, but we get approached all the time in parking lots by guys who rave about what a nice truck it is.... but they won't give me a price, instead they look for me to hopefully declare how dumb I am with a low price So it's made me curious...

My interest is whether it is getting to be the vintage where it has special value to someone... a higher purpose than sitting outside being our farm truck. what would be a smart answer to give them when they ask? Something I can say with a straight face that's a fair and reasonable value.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll check on the enthusiast sites today and see what more I can learn.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 10-01-2018 at 09:09 AM..

Old 10-01-2018, 08:31 AM

I just noticed this morning a couple of the interior pictures didn't post with the original... They were too big. Fixed 'em.

Here they are...
Attached Thumbnails
How much for 1987 Silverado in nice shape?-2018-06-14-12.45.48.jpg   How much for 1987 Silverado in nice shape?-2018-06-14-12.47.53.jpg  

Old 10-02-2018, 09:54 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Thanks Creamer... I'm not interested in just 'getting it sold'. It could stay here the rest of its life if that's the best use of it.

I wouldn't even think of selling it, but we get approached all the time in parking lots by guys who rave about what a nice truck it is.... but they won't give me a price, instead they look for me to hopefully declare how dumb I am with a low price So it's made me curious...

My interest is whether it is getting to be the vintage where it has special value to someone... a higher purpose than sitting outside being our farm truck. what would be a smart answer to give them when they ask? Something I can say with a straight face that's a fair and reasonable value.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll check on the enthusiast sites today and see what more I can learn.
I would simply say yes I’m looking to sell it . I’m asking 65/75/8500 whatever xx00 for it. If you are interested give me a way to contact you. Or get a google number and run around with a for sale with a number on it

Old 10-02-2018, 10:13 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times
Why don't you ask these people raving about it for an offer? if they say $3k or something like that then there's your answer. Just because someone admires something doesn't mean it's worth a lot. I'd try to find an enthusiasts forum for these old trucks and ask your value questions there. If the value is more than 2-4 grand it's coming from nostalgia rather than utility, and that is a very hard thing to determine without data from actual sales of like vehicles.

I'd take the ads from Classiccar.com with a huge grain of salt. For example this truck https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...michigan-49601
is nothing more than a parts vehicle since it is totally ratted out and has no title. I'd give it a value of a few hundred rather than the preposterous $3k asking price. Without a way to search actual sales from that website I'd consider it pretty much worthless for determining value.

Last edited by duke944; 10-02-2018 at 10:27 AM..

Old 10-12-2019, 06:21 PM

Default Update

UPDATE - I sold Dad's truck a few weeks back, to a guy from Texas who paid $7000 and paid a hauler to come and get it up here in WA. He shows cars and will take it completely apart and restore it to show condition.

I initially tried to hold out for $8K but this guy was patient and held at 7, and there were other guys making noise but none actually bringing more money, so I think it was a fair price.

Thanks to Electrician4you who at least helped confirm it had value beyond the used clunker price.

I ended up finding my buyer on a Squarebody Chevy group on facebook that has 30,000+ members - all guys that love these trucks.

Glad to see it go to a good home. It was too nice a truck and too clean to just sit outside here, it woudn't have stayed nice forever with us. It will be treasured and buffed and pampered where it went. That's good. I think dad would approve.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 10-12-2019 at 07:40 PM..

Old 10-12-2019, 08:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
UPDATE - I sold Dad's truck a few weeks back, to a guy from Texas who paid $7000 and paid a hauler to come and get it up here in WA. He shows cars and will take it completely apart and restore it to show condition.

I initially tried to hold out for $8K but this guy was patient and held at 7, and there were other guys making noise but none actually bringing more money, so I think it was a fair price.

Thanks to Electrician4you who at least helped confirm it had value beyond the used clunker price.

I ended up finding my buyer on a Squarebody Chevy group on facebook that has 30,000+ members - all guys that love these trucks.

Glad to see it go to a good home. It was too nice a truck and too clean to just sit outside here, it woudn't have stayed nice forever with us. It will be treasured and buffed and pampered where it went. That's good. I think dad would approve.
Congratulations. That’s awesome to hear.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:47 PM

Very happy. Ended up with hundreds of replies when I posted it... and several serious inquiries. Amazing for an old truck.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:08 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
$7,000 seems like a fair price. That is a sharp and straight ol’ truck.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:21 AM

Thanks! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC