Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 06:21 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times

Advertisements

This was my Dad's truck. He handed it down to me when he bought a new one 15 years ago... and it has been our spare farm truck and hay hauler since. Every time we take it out, we get comments on it. Our mechanic likes it, the hay guys like it. Guys seem to really like this pickup!

We got approached awhile back by a guy at the hardware store who wouldn't let us leave without his phone number, in case we ever wanted to sell it. He asked what we wanted for it, I said I had no idea. He didn't offer a price either...

But we went home and looked it up, or tried to, and the prices for trucks like this are all over the board! Many much higher than I'd have ever guessed. I always assumed it might be worth a few thousand, but not 10K... not 20K like I've seen advertised... what's the real answer here?

It got me wondering if extra farm truck is it's highest and best use, or whether we should let it go to someone who will preserve, restore and baby it.

I don't honestly know enough to distinguish it from the trucks I see advertised in the $10K and up price range. I see prices even more than that for trucks that are all tricked out.

I do know it's the original engine, has about 170K miles on it. Never been rebuilt. Original transmission... 4x4... Automatic. No AC, no power windows (I actually see its relative simplicity as a feature, in terms of maintenance, but I could be wrong) It has no rust. Body in nice shape. Have the original purchase receipt, and all maintenance receipts since. My dad was rather meticulous about these things.

Flaws: Needs new paint. The paint is not original, it was repainted 15 years or so ago, it had the recalled Chevy blue paint originally. Dad had it repainted before he gave it to me. Needs new flywheel.... every once in awhile, it grinds on starting, so I'm told a few of the teeth are going bad. Not often enough for me to worry about yet, within a couple of attempts, it starts. Needs new muffler and tailpipe. Back bumper got bumped by something, probably in a parking lot... slightly out of alignment. Sun crack in dash vinyl.

That's IT for flaws. Other than that, it's a nice running, very clean truck.

What's it worth? If it's only worth a few thousand, we'll keep it. It's a nice farm truck for us. If it is starting to have collector value, then maybe we should sell it while it's still clean and straight, before it spends any more winters outside and goes down hill.

If I sell it, I would like it to go to someone who will truly value it with quality restoration and good paint. I don't want to do that. But for how much? I'm not opposed to giving someone a good deal but I don't want to get taken for a ride either by letting it go for too cheap.

Any Chevy truck people who can advise? I would sure appreciate it! If there's other pictures that would help, let me know.... I may have it. We had it detailed this summer and took a bunch of pictures, but have only had time to follow up on this question again now.
Attached Thumbnails
How much for 1987 Silverado in nice shape?-2018-06-14-12.41.49.jpg   How much for 1987 Silverado in nice shape?-2018-06-14-12.42.23.jpg   How much for 1987 Silverado in nice shape?-2018-06-14-12.43.09.jpg   How much for 1987 Silverado in nice shape?-2018-06-14-12.51.16.jpg  

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 09-30-2018 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 06:30 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Maybe $ 2000 smackers.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Maybe $ 2000 smackers.

OK If I hadn't looked around, that's what I'd have thought too, but - what's the difference between this truck, and the trucks for sale on here for over $10K?

https://classiccars.com/listings/fin...olet/silverado

Old 09-30-2018, 06:39 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,343 times
That's a 1987 with 170k, minor flaws. Looks like it has the 307 5.0L engine, also. (My dad's 1990 or 1991 had the same. I think it was a 91. Different body style. A "C/K 2500."

If it has 4WD, maybe like $2500 top dollar.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:41 PM

They want $2000 for this one, and it looks to me like half the engine is sitting in the cab...

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...o/2144973.html

Old 09-30-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
OK If I hadn't looked around, that's what I'd have thought too, but - what's the difference between this truck, and the trucks for sale on here for over $10K?

https://classiccars.com/listings/fin...olet/silverado

Okay, two answers for you.

The first one is.. That first one - the $25,000 - is clearly modified somehow. So are most of the other ones that have wheels, etc. That's easy.

The second is what my Uncle once told me.. trucks, the bigger the better, go for a LOT of money in the Southwest part of the USA. Not really sure why, but.. He once had a 1995 Ford F350, crew cab. Back then, I think he was saying people would pay like $30,000-$40,000 out there. of "Back then" money. They must be valuable for some reason... (I may be slightly misremembering, but he lived in Arizona at the time.)

Your truck just seems normal. Good shape, but, 31 years old.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
They want $2000 for this one, and it looks to me like half the engine is sitting in the cab...

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...o/2144973.html

Miss Holbrook, with all due respect, you are looking at Hemmings and "Classiccars.com" .... you may as well be looking at the DuPont Registry.

The gauge you SHOULD be using is Craigslist, and Autotrader.com.

I had windows open side-by-side and I got a great car for $2000, was one of the last results listed, too.

I mean no offense, I'm just not sure why you feel your truck is a classic by default.

Now... to a Chevy collector or enthusiast? You would have to find the person, but, MAYBE 5 grand, if you luck up. But that's to a die-hard fan of that truck. Every vehicle has one, and every vehicle has one someone wishes they had again and it is basically automatically sold no matter what.

But. Those prices are ridiculous......

Old 09-30-2018, 06:45 PM

Isn't "normal" the same as "original"? Isn't that what collectors want?

Old 09-30-2018, 06:46 PM

^ I'm sure others will chime in, but in used car sales... You may feel your truck is worth a lot, (trust me, I been there!) but it's only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it at any point in time. Nothing more.

It's not going to sell for $4,000,000 at the Classic Car Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona or whatever it is.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Isn't "normal" the same as "original"? Isn't that what collectors want?

If you are targeting your truck at collectors, they want not a single flaw, every single record, they would probably call your truck "junk."

Been through this with a Jaguar. An XJ. Noooo..... Normal is nowhere near good enough. They want perfect.

If I depart from the conversation for the night, it is only because I must go to sleep. I will likely rejoin in later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC