Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 06:28 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,369,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
It’s amazing how so few American born auto companies have no compelling emblems lol they’re all pretty Blah and vanilla .
You had to grow up around the American automotive industry like i did growing up and still living in metro Detroit, to appreciate the logos and what they represented through the years when you could tell what vehicle was made by what automaker. The only real vehicles that the style never really changed allot was the Dodge Challenger it looks allot like the ones from the muscle car era of the 70’s. And you know right away what automaker made it. The Mustang is somewhat the same but not like the challenger. Every vehicle commercial back in the day would display the manufacturer emblem of the vehicle that was in the commercial so you knew right away what automaker it was. Chevrolet bow tie was about America and Apple pie and was the average american automobile. And when you seen the bow tie you thought of America. Bob Seger song like a rock was Chevrolet way of telling you that there pickups were built tough, like Fords saying Ford Tough. And nothing says more about a automaker is the blue oval especially when you see the massive emblem on their world headquarters in Dearborn Michigan. Or the big GM on their headquarters in the Renaissance center in downtown Detroit, or the giant mural of the popular FCA brands on the headquarters in Auburn hills Michigan.

Last edited by easy62; 01-02-2021 at 06:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 06:38 AM

17,171 posts, read 21,830,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Association of Buick with old age is long forgotten.
My neighbor's 81 year old father just bought another new Buick SUV (trading in his last one).
My 74 year old mother in law is on her 2nd Buick SUV

I do have one outlier: the best man in my wedding bought his wife an Enclave, but she was coming out of an old Accord and is NOT a car person. He drives an Audi and she liked the Buick so they bought it. He said he would have never bought it for himself.

Logo/emblem isn't Buick's problem. They hired Tiger Woods a few years ago as a spokesman, he certainly doesn't drive one he has an S65 and a Lambo SUV

Old 01-02-2021, 08:06 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,933,271 times
Quote:
It’s amazing how so few American born auto companies have no compelling emblems lol they’re all pretty Blah and vanilla .
They all went to logos years ago.

In the olden days the brand name was lettered out for those who could read.

Other then Ford that has the word Ford in the blue oval, and possibly the bowtie on Chevrolets - many can't tell one car from another.

They all (mostly) look the same.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:09 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,009,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
They all went to logos years ago.

In the olden days the brand name was lettered out for those who could read.

Errr, you sure about that? Take a look at various collections of pre-war cars or any concours d'elegance and you'll see plenty of emblems.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:57 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,201,502 times
More than the logos, it was the hood ornament that defined the vehicle. Jaguar, Mercedes, and yes, Mack trucks.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:45 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,884,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
You had to grow up around the American automotive industry like i did growing up and still living in metro Detroit, to appreciate the logos and what they represented through the years when you could tell what vehicle was made by what automaker.

Riiiiiiiiiiight... that's why I was saying that the associative, symbolic and psychological elements for emblems are really, really powerful. Seeing that Buick Emblem is instantly like a negative Rorschach test lol

Just conjures up all types of ... UGH... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
More than the logos, it was the hood ornament that defined the vehicle. Jaguar, Mercedes, and yes, Mack trucks.

Ah yes, I noticed more of the older American cars had hood ornaments, but American automakers have gotten away from that. The foreign automakers seemingly have still preserved hood ornaments, particularly for the more pricier models.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:58 AM

841 posts, read 554,263 times
Quote:

Ah yes, I noticed more of the older American cars had hood ornaments, but American automakers have gotten away from that. The foreign automakers seemingly have still preserved hood ornaments, particularly for the more pricier models.
Any car that's sold in Europe or China must meet regulations that protect pedestrians. The Hood and Fascia are designed to absorb energy in order to reduce the likelihood of injury if you hit a person. So it would be practically impossible IMHO to have a hood ornament on any of those vehicles. The US does not have this regulation so I suppose you could have a hood ornament on a vehicle sold here and then remove it for EU and China, but this adds cost and complexity so it's not that easy. I can see a niche car like a Bentley, Ferrari, Lambo, etc doing that, but not higher volume mainstream car.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:02 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,369,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
Any car that's sold in Europe or China must meet regulations that protect pedestrians. The Hood and Fascia are designed to absorb energy in order to reduce the likelihood of injury if you hit a person. So it would be practically impossible IMHO to have a hood ornament on any of those vehicles. The US does not have this regulation so I suppose you could have a hood ornament on a vehicle sold here and then remove it for EU and China, but this adds complexity so it's not that easy.
Now automakers put their logo on their rims, or grills. Pickups have their on the front grills in the center, and on the tailgate. It’s. Cheaper to place them there because the old hood ordainments were made of zinc and chrome plated.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:22 AM

18,948 posts, read 43,421,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
Any car that's sold in Europe or China must meet regulations that protect pedestrians. The Hood and Fascia are designed to absorb energy in order to reduce the likelihood of injury if you hit a person. So it would be practically impossible IMHO to have a hood ornament on any of those vehicles. The US does not have this regulation so I suppose you could have a hood ornament on a vehicle sold here and then remove it for EU and China, but this adds cost and complexity so it's not that easy. I can see a niche car like a Bentley, Ferrari, Lambo, etc doing that, but not higher volume mainstream car.
Wasn't it Bentley that had a motorized hood ornament that would pop up when the car is started?

Old 01-02-2021, 12:10 PM

1,156 posts, read 935,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
At a Buick dealer? They're usually tied on with GMC, occasionally with the Chevrolet franchise. Not hard to find.

Yeah, I'm being facetious...point is that if Buick has any pretense of being upscale having them tacked on to what looks like a truck dealership is not helping the brand in the least. I drive by a GMC dealer all the time, I assume they sell Buicks but its not noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC