Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 10:06 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

I am inheriting a 2013 Buick LaCrosse; the car has been well maintained and has 70k miles. The car drives beautifully. My main concern is the timing chain issue, since I drive my cars into the ground.

I heard that they revised the engine in 2012, yet some are saying that the problem was rectified in 2014. Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Also, i've looked online and have come up short: what's the best way to remove the onstar module on the vehicle?

Finally, what kind of real world highway mileage can I expect with the 3.6L/six speed auto?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 04:46 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
I can only speak to the chain.. From my understanding, it wasn't an engine problem, it was a set of bad chains. They'd start showing the problems pretty early on, around 40k miles on the outside.

So, I can't imagine that vehicle doesn't have that many miles being 8 years old. So I'd say you're safe.

I know you can unplug the onstar device (usually in the trunk) but I believe that will set a code.. Which could be annoying. Though I doubt it will trigger a MIL.. Or.. Well.. You could take some of that tin foil from your hat and wrap it in that.. Kidding.. Mostly.

Old 07-14-2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I can only speak to the chain.. From my understanding, it wasn't an engine problem, it was a set of bad chains. They'd start showing the problems pretty early on, around 40k miles on the outside.

So, I can't imagine that vehicle doesn't have that many miles being 8 years old. So I'd say you're safe.

I know you can unplug the onstar device (usually in the trunk) but I believe that will set a code.. Which could be annoying. Though I doubt it will trigger a MIL.. Or.. Well.. You could take some of that tin foil from your hat and wrap it in that.. Kidding.. Mostly.
Appreciate your reply

Old 07-14-2021, 01:14 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
I recall the Buick La Crosse was promoted as the "Lexus Killer". Guess that prediction didn't work out so well.

They've stopped production in the US although it is still built and sold in China.

Not sure about the timing chain issue. A free car is a bonus though.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:46 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Our 2012 Enclave had close to 95000 on it, no issues. Same engine, but its a late build and supposedly got the updated chain.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:03 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I recall the Buick La Crosse was promoted as the "Lexus Killer". Guess that prediction didn't work out so well.

They've stopped production in the US although it is still built and sold in China.

I don't recall the LaCrosse being advertised as a "Lexus Killer". Two different markets price wise.

Most U.S. sedans have met the same fate as the LaCrosse, as the manufacturers shift to SUV's and trucks. Most were good cars, just not enough people buy them anymore.

Old 07-14-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Appreciate the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Our 2012 Enclave had close to 95000 on it, no issues. Same engine, but its a late build and supposedly got the updated chain.
So you're sure about the 2012 having updated chains?

I must say that the engine is very refined and quiet.

What kind of city and highway mileage were you getting?

Old 08-26-2021, 08:34 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
I have a '13 LaCrosse with almost 90k miles and no timing chain issues so far. It has the 3.6 LFX engine like the Camaro. I think the Enclave has the 3.6 LLT, which is the one that had timing chain problems. Either way, just have to ensure the oil is changed and can't get it low. Mine does burn some oil. Oh, also, I had to have my transmission rebuilt at 70k miles.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:33 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,133,422 times
I have a 2012 Impala LTZ with 175K and no timing chain issues, just make sure you change the oil every 5-6K on them and they will last.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:41 AM

10,811 posts, read 4,506,581 times
the timing chain issue has been shown to be an issue with those that jangle the hell out of them by driving a race at every light and or a little more casual with the oil changes.

I have this motor, the DI version in a 09 CTS and its not an issue and since all CTS' are track ready, they tend to get beat on more (mine at least was at least a late middle aged lady whom I doubt beat on it)

mileage can be an issue..I have an extensive write up on the caddilac owners forums about the 'swiss cheese' effect and mileage in the CTS (everyones whipping dog) and the 3.6 in general. GM took some shortcuts and it results in often running rich, but inside the envelope to not trigger MIL. The base problem is the combination of ACT and MAF, giving the ECM a false impression of the air actually sucked in - especially in the winter.

change oil. use synthetic. drive in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC