Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2023, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Vallejo
21,634 posts, read 24,761,074 times
Reputation: 18854

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yes, I think we may see a backlash soon with all of these subscription fees. People are finally starting to get annoyed with them, especially if it's tied to something important like finding a charging station.
Partly it will. The connectivity/cellular modem costs. The manufactures want to pass the costs on to consumer ala Teslas Premium Connectivity. As much as I like to rag on Tesla, they're the ones doing that right. I still wish they'd just do CarPlay Android Auto but it would be harder as the stupid center screen controls everything, not just nav and infotainment.

Compared with Mercedes 1,200 year to rent a power upgrade or BMW 10 a month to activate the remote start though, Teslas implementation is less insulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2023, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Central CT, sometimes FL and NH.
4,476 posts, read 6,728,692 times
Reputation: 5883
It's too bad that GM is discontinuing the Bolt. I know several people that own them and like them quite a bit. It's small size is one of the reasons they chose the Bolt over others. Not everyone wants a large car. This is particularly true if one lives in the city and drives the majority of their time in congested areas. It is also true if one is primarily a solo driver. Additionally, the Bolt was one of the most affordable EVs available and could be purchased for as little as $26k before the rebate. Saying the Equinox will be around $30k still means you are paying more. Personally, I find the Equinox one of GM's least attractive vehicles and in its current gas form one of the most underpowered dogs around. Why didn't GM offer an EV version of the Trailblazer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2023, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,798 posts, read 2,251,499 times
Reputation: 6637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
It's too bad that GM is discontinuing the Bolt. I know several people that own them and like them quite a bit. It's small size is one of the reasons they chose the Bolt over others. Not everyone wants a large car. This is particularly true if one lives in the city and drives the majority of their time in congested areas. It is also true if one is primarily a solo driver.
While true, small cars, especially small hatchbacks like the Bolt were already not being bought in large numbers. People in general don't want small hatchbacks.

Quote:
Additionally, the Bolt was one of the most affordable EVs available and could be purchased for as little as $26k before the rebate. Saying the Equinox will be around $30k still means you are paying more.
Again, true, but most of the Bolts being bought were the EUV in Premier trim, which sold for $30-35k. So the Equinox isn't really more expensive than what was already being bought. Almost no Bolt EV LTs were sold in the last 2 years.

Quote:
Personally, I find the Equinox one of GM's least attractive vehicles and in its current gas form one of the most underpowered dogs around. Why didn't GM offer an EV version of the Trailblazer?
The Equinox EV has nothing to do stylistically with the current Equinox. They look nothing alike and do look more like the current Trailblazer. Also, before the Equinox EV comes out, there will be the Blazer EV on sale.

This is the new Equinox EV:










As you can see, it's nothing like the current gas powered one. And it's definitely not underpowered.


And compared to the Blazer EV that will be out this summer, it's definitely smaller (Equinox on top, Blazer below it):


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2023, 07:31 AM
 
21,483 posts, read 12,578,222 times
Reputation: 36210
Wait a minute; I thought they discontinued the Chevy Spark in favor of the Chevy Bolt? Bring back the Chevy Spark, then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2023, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,798 posts, read 2,251,499 times
Reputation: 6637
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Wait a minute; I thought they discontinued the Chevy Spark in favor of the Chevy Bolt? Bring back the Chevy Spark, then!

The Spark was a gas powered car for most of it's life. Made in Korea by Daewoo, it went away because NO ONE was buying tiny subcompact cars anymore in the US. The EV version that had an 80 mile range was replaced by the Bolt that had a 250 mile range. But the gas version stayed for sale until last year and few people bought it. So it was finally let go. That size car isn't coming back from the major manufacturers in the US. It costs the same to make one as it does to make a larger car, but there is a razor thin margin on it. If no one buys it, it can't make up for that thin margin by selling in volume. So no one is going to make one.






This was the 2022 Spark. A gas powered car and almost no one wanted it. It has no room for enough batteries to go more than 100 miles on a charge. No one wants that, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2023, 09:11 AM
 
21,483 posts, read 12,578,222 times
Reputation: 36210
Actually, I was in the market for one (I have since decided to keep my old car for now), and they were flying off the car lots. People were beating the bushes for '22s (the last year they were made). Very much in demand for their price point and fuel efficiency. It's also a reliable little car in fun colors and a blast to drive! But we're all supposed to own pricey boring huge gas-hog SUVs, I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2023, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,798 posts, read 2,251,499 times
Reputation: 6637
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Actually, I was in the market for one (I have since decided to keep my old car for now), and they were flying off the car lots. People were beating the bushes for '22s (the last year they were made). Very much in demand for their price point and fuel efficiency. It's also a reliable little car in fun colors and a blast to drive! But we're all supposed to own pricey boring huge gas-hog SUVs, I guess...

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/05...arter-2022-q1/


Chevy delivered 278 units in Q1 2022 in the US. In Canada, it was less, and even in South Korea, where the car is made, they only delivered 2000 of them. Yes, there was a chip shortage slowing production, but that whole segment saw a 71% reduction in year over year sales across all manufactures in all countries. Simply put, not enough people wanted them to allow them to stay in production.


And an EV SUV is not a gas hog. And the Equinox EV is a small crossover, not a Suburban.


Are manufacturers supposed to make mass market cars and tool up for and do R&D for a dying segment that only a handful of people are buying in anymore? It makes zero business sense to do that. Instead, it's best to get ahead of a new segment that people WILL be buying in.


I love my Bolt, both the previous '20 EV and my current '23 EUV. But they are old tech and can't be upgraded easily. The Equinox will be a good replacement for the EUV with a lot better tech in it. Especially the fast charge speeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2023, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
6,975 posts, read 5,304,524 times
Reputation: 6426
GM to convert their lake Orion assembly plant from making the Bolt to making their new EV pickups. They have also picked a spot to build a plant to supply the new EV pickups. Was the old home of the Detroit Pistons basketball team. It’s literally right down the road from the assembly plant.


General Motors Co. in Detroit says it has identified the site of the former Palace of Auburn Hills as a potential location for a $200 million supplier park to support its Orion Assembly Plant, which will be expanded to produce electric pickup trucks. Automotive News was the first to report the project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2023, 05:27 AM
 
30,150 posts, read 20,868,388 times
Reputation: 11802
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
The Spark was a gas powered car for most of it's life. Made in Korea by Daewoo, it went away because NO ONE was buying tiny subcompact cars anymore in the US. The EV version that had an 80 mile range was replaced by the Bolt that had a 250 mile range. But the gas version stayed for sale until last year and few people bought it. So it was finally let go. That size car isn't coming back from the major manufacturers in the US. It costs the same to make one as it does to make a larger car, but there is a razor thin margin on it. If no one buys it, it can't make up for that thin margin by selling in volume. So no one is going to make one.






This was the 2022 Spark. A gas powered car and almost no one wanted it. It has no room for enough batteries to go more than 100 miles on a charge. No one wants that, either.
I had one for a month while i was doing the lemon law on the new C7. If it had 300hp i would have kept it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2023, 10:44 AM
 
Location: In the heights
36,916 posts, read 38,826,491 times
Reputation: 20929
Recent interview with Mary Barra seems to indicate that the Bolt might have another generation:

https://electrek.co/2023/06/09/ultium-chevy-bolt/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top