Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 12:56 PM

1,299 posts, read 849,213 times

Advertisements

i have a 2013 impala
so far has been ok except for brakes and oil only one other mechanical issue , got 78k miles on it

i have no problem keeping it as long as it lasts but unsure how much they can go for

ive heard hondas and toyotas run for 300k plus but chevys only 150k

so should i keep it or sell it ?

anyone has any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 01:03 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
i have a 2013 impala
so far has been ok except for brakes and oil only one other mechanical issue , got 78k miles on it

i have no problem keeping it as long as it lasts but unsure how much they can go for

Well, I haven't owned a new one but can tell you my Dad had a 1966 Chevelle with the 283 c.i. V-8 and Powerglide transmission that he put 225K on before selling it to a local kid. When that happened it likely leaked more oil than it burned and both usages were minimal, it had the original starter, and the trans had never been apart. IIRC I rebuilt the 2 bbl. carb once and put bearings in the alternator and I seem to remember also a set of brushes, a timing chain and sprockets and an ignition coil, everything else was maintenance/wear items. Hopefully Chevy hasn't lost its touch.

Old 07-06-2023, 02:01 PM

1,926 posts, read 817,432 times
Quote:
i have a 2013 impala

Worked with a guy who had one with the 3.8L V-6. He got rid of it after it hit 350,000 miles. If taken care of those things are almost bullet proof.

Old 07-06-2023, 03:23 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Just keep the oil changed often with good synthetic. The 3.6 V6 is very sensitive to dirty oil.

It also wouldn't hurt to have the transmission fluid drained and refilled. Then have it done again at 100k.

Old 07-06-2023, 07:43 PM

Thanks
I do get the full synthetic oil every time for oil change

Old 07-07-2023, 09:40 PM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
Quote:
i have a 2013 impala

I have a 2013 Chevy Impala too. Mine now has 180,000 miles. I’ve only had to replace the passenger side CV joint at 90k, a set of front brake rotors and the drivers side ABS/Traction control cable. That’s it other than regular maintenance items and I’ve always done whatever the factory recommends. Great car! Comfortable like sitting on a living room couch, 30+mpg on the highway. Only reason I’m thinking of selling it is because I need a 4x4 truck in the winter now out here in farm country dirt roads. Otherwise, I’d keep it. Although I might keep it anyways if the truck dealer won’t give me anything for it. The 3.6l engine is a good motor, same with the transmission that came with it. It was used in the Cadillac and the small Chevy truck too. The 2013 Chevy Impala was the last year of that model, although the following year they still made it for the rental fleets. It was all made in Canada except the transmission, which was a USA made part. I still see a lot of them up here in North Dakota on the road. And this state is brutal on vehicles. -35 in the winter to 100+ in the summer. That shows how well made they are.

Old 07-08-2023, 05:44 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Illinois is in the Salt Belt. Put the car up on a lift and examine it for structural corrosion damage.

Old 07-10-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I have a 2013 Chevy Impala too. Mine now has 180,000 miles. I’ve only had to replace the passenger side CV joint at 90k, a set of front brake rotors and the drivers side ABS/Traction control cable. That’s it other than regular maintenance items and I’ve always done whatever the factory recommends. Great car! Comfortable like sitting on a living room couch, 30+mpg on the highway. Only reason I’m thinking of selling it is because I need a 4x4 truck in the winter now out here in farm country dirt roads. Otherwise, I’d keep it. Although I might keep it anyways if the truck dealer won’t give me anything for it. The 3.6l engine is a good motor, same with the transmission that came with it. It was used in the Cadillac and the small Chevy truck too. The 2013 Chevy Impala was the last year of that model, although the following year they still made it for the rental fleets. It was all made in Canada except the transmission, which was a USA made part. I still see a lot of them up here in North Dakota on the road. And this state is brutal on vehicles. -35 in the winter to 100+ in the summer. That shows how well made they are.
thats been my experiance as well

its austere but works well for the most part

is the transmission fluid changed every 100k miles ? or sooner ?

Old 07-11-2023, 04:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:

I'd do it sooner. Of course the dealer will tell you it can wait, but it's out of warranty now so what do they care? Stay away from the flush, just do a drain and refill.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:10 PM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
Quote:

I’ve only done the transmission once, at the 100k miles. That’s when it was due according to the factory recommendation. Also the Chevy dealer said the technician said it needed to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC