Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 06:41 PM

10,290 posts, read 6,813,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Primarily because of high sticker prices, and high insurance rates for a "performance" car. While many 20 year olds would love to own a Corvette, I know I did, they were out of my budget until I was in my late 40s. And since I retired in my mid-50s, my budget says that my now 20 year old Corvette will be just fine for my needs, for many years into the future.....
Corvette (for what it is) is incredibly cheap to insure.

Less than half a comparable Mustang.

I guess "crowd plowing" costs insurance companies a lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 05:46 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Just a thought.........maybe the "bailout money" that they received, years back, had "strings" attached to it. For what it's worth, I remember hearing a rumor that Oldsmobile and Pontiac were killed off because the Government people didn't think they were unique enough and profitable enough, so closing them down was part of the conditions for the loan.
The government also wanted to shut down Buick and GMC. Buick was saved due to strong China sales. I don't remember why GMC was saved.

Old 07-09-2023, 07:55 AM

10,810 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Ahh, but what was the average age of the buyer in the 60s thru the 80s, when it was hot fighter pilot (and the like) car with the Cutlass?

I lost my 86 Cutlass Salon in 93, I guess and what they had for the new Cutlass, moving away from one heck of a design in beauty, safety, and power......didn't interest me, didn't go after it, went with something else that I could afford since I had no inspiration for something else.

For me, what defines the classic Cutlass? The V 8 engine and maybe because we don't have that, really, anymore, is the reason why we don't have such cars around it.

an 86 popped on FB MKT this am, for cheap - $2000 or less. needs work, guy put in a 425 (lord knows where he found that) and a T400 so its worth a look. gonna need towed, all 4 tires flat.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:17 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
All manufacturers need to go back to some basic functions. All have over-engineered things to the point where they are not reliable and extremely expensive to repair and for the most part you can not do yourself. Not to mention the crappy imported parts that in many cases are not the same as OEM parts. But thats another story.

Old 07-09-2023, 01:19 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
All manufacturers need to go back to some basic functions. All have over-engineered things to the point where they are not reliable and extremely expensive to repair and for the most part you can not do yourself. Not to mention the crappy imported parts that in many cases are not the same as OEM parts. But thats another story.
Bingo!!!

Old 07-09-2023, 03:33 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
They make them.

CT-4 and CT-5 both the V and Blackwings models. That's not what buyers want though. They want Tahoes.

Old 07-09-2023, 04:06 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
an 86 popped on FB MKT this am, for cheap - $2000 or less. needs work, guy put in a 425 (lord knows where he found that) and a T400 so its worth a look. gonna need towed, all 4 tires flat.
Well, times, as in our times, do change. Every once in a while, I do dream I have that car of my late Cold War service, feel those emotions, but if I would, would I be driving it now? No, because my life is no longer of the dashing young naval officer but a rough & tumble marine biologist and like the kids with braces mom I never was, I drive things to haul passengers. Them, those moms: kids needing their teeth straighten, me: pets in pet taxis.

In between the Cutlass and the Subaru, I drove a Corsica. Nice little car, could carry a lot, could sling a bike, very comfortable to recline the front seats with a lover. When it was wearing out, however, I was still doing a lot of field work, hauling around coolers for specimens, and while I did that with the Corsica, I wanted something I could do it better with. Mom suggested a SUV and, long story short, that resulted in the Forester.

Now there's a horrifying thought, maybe to the thread title, GM doesn't make exciting cars any more because our lives aren't exciting anymore.

I am not saying that my life isn't exciting, far from it. It may be, however, that my life is so outside the norm that when I do a new car search, I am often left very disappointed for it seems cars have become all computer controlled sound systems and hardly any useful utility. Now, that may be overly generalizing it, but it seems my needs are often not reflected in the current market.

It is rather interesting to how we see cars. I got into my mud slinging mindset driving logging roads for Bonfire. When it is wet and rainy, I say this is the kind of weather the Subaru likes to play in (and a ranger type should not mind the rain, anyhow). As said, as has been said, I buy my vehicles, car and truck, to be able to work, haul stuff, knowing that if I have to haul brick or lumber, I can.......just needed it loaded. I don't think twice as far as how to get it here if I want another chest freezer (been there, done that).

But are our cars these days marketed to us as mud slinging get out and have fun machines? Do they have sexy whip antennas? I have been so long out of TV, I don't know what the current car commercial is like. Which, however, came later, Paul Hogan's Subaru commercials.......or the dog ones? There is a vast difference of excitement between the two. While I love the Subaru Crosstrek commercial, "Welcome to the Pack", it is a very calm commercial even if it does show being outdoors.

So what are GM commercials like? Are they exciting or are they selling products to a very unadventurous population?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-09-2023 at 04:20 PM..

Old 07-09-2023, 04:40 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
I thought this too until I bought my first Lexus ES350 in 2008. Extremely complicated, yet also incredibly reliable and fun to drive at high speed. I sold it to my neighbors years ago and they continue to have excellent, trouble-free service from it. Currently, I have a 2020 Lexus RX450h which has also been extremely reliable and capable in mild off-road situations.

It is unlikely that I will ever purchase a different brand, unless for my grandkids. Even then, it will probably be a Toyota product.

Growing up with Fords, Chevys, Cadillacs, and Mercedes, I never realized a vehicle could be so well-engineered or reliable until I bought that first Lexus.

Old 07-10-2023, 07:22 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Ahh, but what was the average age of the buyer in the 60s thru the 80s, when it was hot fighter pilot (and the like) car with the Cutlass?

I lost my 86 Cutlass Salon in 93, I guess and what they had for the new Cutlass, moving away from one heck of a design in beauty, safety, and power......didn't interest me, didn't go after it, went with something else that I could afford since I had no inspiration for something else.

For me, what defines the classic Cutlass? The V 8 engine and maybe because we don't have that, really, anymore, is the reason why we don't have such cars around it.
Maybe in flyover country. Murican metal had already completely lost the market to imports by 1986. An Olds Cutlass was decidedly uncool in my metro Boston high tech office park parking lot.

Old 07-10-2023, 07:48 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Primarily because of high sticker prices, and high insurance rates for a "performance" car. While many 20 year olds would love to own a Corvette, I know I did, they were out of my budget until I was in my late 40s. And since I retired in my mid-50s, my budget says that my now 20 year old Corvette will be just fine for my needs, for many years into the future.....
Yes. The July/August Car and Driver features a Corvette Z06 Porsche 911 GT3 comparison. Corvette Z06 base price: $109,295; as equipped: $169,515. Porsche 911 GT3 base price: $185,850; as equipped: $211,405. That requires a lot of discretionary income. There is a common complaint that the younger generations are not as wealthy as us baby boomers. As we die off, the market for sports cars is likely to further decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC