Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 08:05 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Yes. The July/August Car and Driver features a Corvette Z06 Porsche 911 GT3 comparison. Corvette Z06 base price: $109,295; as equipped: $169,515. Porsche 911 GT3 base price: $185,850; as equipped: $211,405. That requires a lot of discretionary income. There is a common complaint that the younger generations are not as wealthy as us baby boomers. As we die off, the market for sports cars is likely to further decline.
Well, what's the difference between a sports car and a muscle car? Well, for one thing, the muscle car was cheaper, but past that.....there was a lot of sport in the muscle car.

OF COURSE, these days, we probably don't have the muscle car....or at least, not at the less expensive prices to the sports car (though how much muscle one can have with a V4, maybe a V6, to a V8 is a big question).

As I said, it may not just be our cars but also the kind of people we have become. Or, perhaps, we stopped being muscle car people and became muscle trucks which goes back to how the SUV started. The gov't said such and such regulations for cars....but they didn't apply to trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 09:15 AM

6,785 posts, read 4,224,158 times
The modern version of the 'muscle car' is the 'hot hatch' i.e. a Golf GTI/Civic R etc.. Of course, those are typically around 40-45k new as well, so not exactly a car a kid fresh out of school would purchase either, but still well below what the sports cars cost.

Old 07-10-2023, 03:25 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, what's the difference between a sports car and a muscle car? Well, for one thing, the muscle car was cheaper, but past that.....there was a lot of sport in the muscle car.

Or, perhaps, we stopped being muscle car people and became muscle trucks which goes back to how the SUV started. The gov't said such and such regulations for cars....but they didn't apply to trucks.
I think the term "muscle car" was coined, because most of the performance cars, beginning in the 50s, were basically regular models, generally 2 doors, that had the largest engine offered, under the hood. Initially, they were based on the full sized body, then dropping down to the lighter, intermediate sized 2 door hardtops. My first brand new car, for example was a '71 Chevelle SS454.

Sports cars were generally considered 2 seaters, but with big engines, nonetheless. And I agree with you, the big engined pick ups were a way to sidestep the Government strangulation of the original muscle cars.

Old 07-10-2023, 03:37 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The modern version of the 'muscle car' is the 'hot hatch' i.e. a Golf GTI/Civic R etc.. Of course, those are typically around 40-45k new as well, so not exactly a car a kid fresh out of school would purchase either, but still well below what the sports cars cost.
What would Mean Mary Jean say?

Old 07-10-2023, 08:52 PM

23,563 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Maybe in flyover country. Murican metal had already completely lost the in to imports by 1986. An Olds Cutlass was decidedly uncool in my metro Boston high tech office park parking lot.

So pretentious, this. I grew up in Greater Boston and the G bodies were everywhere in the 80s. They were among the most "respected" in high school parking lots well through the 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC