Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 11:16 PM

9,963 posts, read 6,572,101 times

Advertisements

Outside of the Corvette, why doesnt GM make cars that excite or people want? Their fun brands like Oldsmobile and Pontiac are gone, it seems like people settle on buying their cars because of the price versus any excitement of the vehicle itself. Are they just playing it to safe for the sake of the shareholder? Too much bowing down to the government? Do they just have a bunch yes-men engineers who do as said versus the daring bad boys like John Delorean? Its a shame, their brands went from world class to bottom of the barrel fleet cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2023, 11:40 PM

3,593 posts, read 2,850,758 times
They tried and failed miserably. Example the Camaro, either you hurt yourself getting in and out of it or it causes claustrophobia.

Old 07-08-2023, 01:20 AM

87 posts, read 43,755 times
I've never been interested in any of GM's offerings. I'm looking for something with a six speed manual, AWD, and a turbo. GM has nothing like an EVO X or a WRX STI.

Old 07-08-2023, 03:21 AM

24,503 posts, read 17,956,220 times
When was Oldsmobile a “fun brand”? That was always a geezer brand. The average age of buyers in 1996 was 60. GM tried to take the brand younger and failed miserably. They tried for four years and announced in 2000 that 2004 was the last year. Buick and Cadillac have both always been that geezer demographic. The average age of Corvette buyers is 61.

Old 07-08-2023, 05:55 AM

6,165 posts, read 2,961,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
......... The average age of Corvette buyers is 61.
Primarily because of high sticker prices, and high insurance rates for a "performance" car. While many 20 year olds would love to own a Corvette, I know I did, they were out of my budget until I was in my late 40s. And since I retired in my mid-50s, my budget says that my now 20 year old Corvette will be just fine for my needs, for many years into the future.....

Old 07-08-2023, 06:51 AM

11,867 posts, read 8,961,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
They tried and failed miserably. Example the Camaro, either you hurt yourself getting in and out of it or it causes claustrophobia.
I don't understand why Chevy was so stubborn with the modern Camaro design. With that high beltline and low roofline, it looked really cool from the outside, but visibility wasn't great from inside - virtually every reviewer, whether from big auto mags, little YouTube channels, or owners commented on that, but Chevy never budged. Another frequent comment was that while it handled awesome on the track, especially with the track package, the ride on the street wasn't great. It's not like a company that size can't address this kind of input, but they just didn't. Mustang was better in both these aspects and Mustang was selling a lot better.

Old 07-08-2023, 07:45 AM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I don't understand why Chevy was so stubborn with the modern Camaro design. With that high beltline and low roofline, it looked really cool from the outside, but visibility wasn't great from inside - virtually every reviewer, whether from big auto mags, little YouTube channels, or owners commented on that, but Chevy never budged. Another frequent comment was that while it handled awesome on the track, especially with the track package, the ride on the street wasn't great. It's not like a company that size can't address this kind of input, but they just didn't. Mustang was better in both these aspects and Mustang was selling a lot better.

Me neither, unlike Ford who I believe has done a great job in maintaining Mustang family looks for so many years I've thought this generation Camaro looks as much Mopar as it does Camaro.

Old 07-08-2023, 07:48 AM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
When was Oldsmobile a “fun brand”? That was always a geezer brand. The average age of buyers in 1996 was 60. GM tried to take the brand younger and failed miserably. They tried for four years and announced in 2000 that 2004 was the last year. Buick and Cadillac have both always been that geezer demographic. The average age of Corvette buyers is 61.

They had their flirtations with fun. Jetfire, 4-4-2, Hurst Olds come quickly to mind.

Old 07-08-2023, 08:00 AM

10,150 posts, read 4,101,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Outside of the Corvette, why doesnt GM make cars that excite or people want? Their fun brands like Oldsmobile and Pontiac are gone, it seems like people settle on buying their cars because of the price versus any excitement of the vehicle itself. Are they just playing it to safe for the sake of the shareholder? Too much bowing down to the government? Do they just have a bunch yes-men engineers who do as said versus the daring bad boys like John Delorean? Its a shame, their brands went from world class to bottom of the barrel fleet cars.
well to be fair, they dont make any cars really, outside of the corvette and the departed camaro....one version of a rental car? meh. its all trucks (and who needs them) or suvs. at my age, I dont need the debt for something Im rarely going to use. I have 3 'cars' now, the lowest in my life since college. 2 of them are over 30 years old.... Q E D

Old 07-08-2023, 08:07 AM

12,931 posts, read 9,537,048 times
Government Regulations is a part of it for sure, especially when it is regulated by two agencies and future regulations on the horizon. I also believe the culture around cars and driving is changing and have changed so much over the years. I Hardley ever meet a real car enthusiast anymore, or people who love cars and love talking about them. My boys didn't take the love of cars after me, they can care less and will just drive whatever. And out of all the guys that I used to work with, only two of them I could hold a conversation with about cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC