Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2023, 01:33 PM

14,450 posts, read 20,627,395 times

Advertisements

Pending a visual inspection the right front wheel is giving metal scraping. The scraping stops when the brake is pressed. First guess, guess only, is a sticking caliper (?) Chevy S-10 pickup.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 09:17 AM

12,361 posts, read 9,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Pending a visual inspection the right front wheel is giving metal scraping. The scraping stops when the brake is pressed. First guess, guess only, is a sticking caliper (?) Chevy S-10 pickup.
Thanks.
When I've heard that noise, there has been a seized caliper on that corner and the brake pads on that wheel have worn through and the resulting metal-on-metal contact makes that noise, which is also the sound of that disk being scored.

Old 07-10-2023, 09:39 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Gotta pull it apart and look. Over the years i've pulled so many brakes apart for similar reasons and found many different variables contributing to the noise. The type of sound would also help narrow things down but we can't hear it really.

Just pull the wheel off and break the caliper down and inspect the pads for abnormal wear and check to see the slide pins are not sticking and well lubricated. Make sure the pads can slide freely and do not get hung up at some point in the pad support bracket. At that point, hopefully, you should see the cause.

Often times, i've found a pad to get wedged/seized in the caliper bracket which prevents it from properly engaging with the rotor. When the brake is applied, the force is enough to push the pad into the rotor and stop the noise, but when released, the friction of whatever is locking the pad in doesn't allow for sufficient pad knock-back and you get a scraping noise as the pad (or backing plate if really worn) scraps the rotor. If you catch it in time, you can usually clean up the surfaces, apply new grease and save the brake pad/rotor. But if enough time goes by deep wear grooves and such will form and it needs to be replaced.

Old 07-29-2023, 12:38 PM

14,450 posts, read 20,627,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Gotta pull it apart and look. Over the years i've pulled so many brakes apart for similar reasons and found many different variables contributing to the noise. The type of sound would also help narrow things down but we can't hear it really.

Just pull the wheel off and break the caliper down and inspect the pads for abnormal wear and check to see the slide pins are not sticking and well lubricated. Make sure the pads can slide freely and do not get hung up at some point in the pad support bracket. At that point, hopefully, you should see the cause.

Often times, i've found a pad to get wedged/seized in the caliper bracket which prevents it from properly engaging with the rotor. When the brake is applied, the force is enough to push the pad into the rotor and stop the noise, but when released, the friction of whatever is locking the pad in doesn't allow for sufficient pad knock-back and you get a scraping noise as the pad (or backing plate if really worn) scraps the rotor. If you catch it in time, you can usually clean up the surfaces, apply new grease and save the brake pad/rotor. But if enough time goes by deep wear grooves and such will form and it needs to be replaced.

Gruesome war stories for sure. I got the new pads on and the parts house guy gave the clip you see in the photo a name but I was not paying attention. What is it and it's function? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Metal scraping right front wheel-imgp1995.jpg  

Old 08-16-2023, 05:26 PM

10,282 posts, read 6,808,499 times
"Anti-Vibration" device.

They work best when greased.

Old 08-16-2023, 09:59 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,412,768 times
I've had this happen before. Sometimes it can be the simplest thing you over looked. Mine was the caliper / brake pad retaining spring. Put back on correctly. It fits well. It simply lost its tension. Sometimes you can bend those things, yea it looks ok. Then the heat sets in. New springs, pads stay positioned, and no more scraping noises when brakes applied. I've also fixed this problem from a small rock that got jammed up in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC