Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2023, 08:17 PM

11,867 posts, read 8,961,279 times

Advertisements

So the TFL Truck guys got ahold of a pre-production Silverado pickup - apparently Chevy was holding a press event, and the TFL Truck guys did a short-ish towing test from which they extrapolated the towing range, and it looks pretty good. The test load was an 8,500lb utility tractor/trailer combo and they estimated the towing range of the Silverado to be over 200 miles with that load. Apparently, the Silverado has a monster battery in the top WT "work truck" trim, and that's how it is besting e.g. the Ford Lightning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bewv6B9jJec
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 09:44 PM

169 posts, read 125,116 times
Key word extrapolated. I forget if it was car and driver, or motor trend, did a real world test. They ended up turning around because they knew they wouldn’t hit their goal, and feared not even reaching a recharging station.
Just like with my ICE vehicle, after refueling, the computer gives me a pretty generous range. And the second half of the tank seems to go quicker than the first.
I know not everyone needs to go 200 miles towing, but I think that is a very optimistic number, and at least half of what people I know would do in a day.

Old 07-09-2023, 10:59 PM

21,599 posts, read 24,739,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripicana View Post
Key word extrapolated. I forget if it was car and driver, or motor trend, did a real world test. They ended up turning around because they knew they wouldn’t hit their goal, and feared not even reaching a recharging station.
Just like with my ICE vehicle, after refueling, the computer gives me a pretty generous range. And the second half of the tank seems to go quicker than the first.
I know not everyone needs to go 200 miles towing, but I think that is a very optimistic number, and at least half of what people I know would do in a day.
GM basically cooked the books to present it in the most favorable light. By keep the speeds down at 45-50 mph on the loop, the range doesn't look too too bad. Of course that's at 45-50 which you can't do on the interstate. Also the massive battery.

If you take the MT test you're talking about where they got a projected 90 miles since they aborted and bailed, the Platinum they were in was rated at 300 miles. With 50% more rated range, you'd expect the Silverado to get around 135 miles of range. Better. Still not good. There may not be any better testing of the 3/4 WT models as those aren't for sale to retail customers anyway. Possibly TFL gets one from an owner though or maybe even GM does press vehicles where the rags get several days to actually review them... but I doubt it as those are more advertising for consumer products which the WT isn't for sale to retail consumers. It'd be kind of like finding a review of a 3500 chassis cab. I mean, that's a regular retail vehicle anyone can buy which the WT isn't, but normal retail customers aren't buying them so it makes no sense to have an advertising budget for chassis cabs. On the Silverado EV it's the opposite. Even at the real pricing of 75-80k there'd probably be demand for it. GM can't afford to sell it though at that price so they're not going to.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:23 AM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Bloomberg is reporting today that the Silverado EV will have a range of 400-450 miles, weigh 8,000 pounds and do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. Production is underway and deliveries to commercial customers are to start 2023/Q3.

Battery packs keep growing towards the 100kWh mark.

Here's the 25 July 2023 mid-year report from GM.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-01-2023 at 11:45 AM..

Old 08-01-2023, 11:45 AM

21,599 posts, read 24,739,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Bloomberg is reporting today that the BEV Silverado will have a range of 400-450 miles, weighs 8,000 pounds and does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. Production is underway and deliveries to commercial customers are expected to start 2023/Q3. Battery packs keep growing towards the 100kWh mark.

Point of fact, the Silverado EV has a 200 kWh battery pack. Cheaper versions coming later will have slightly less battery. It's a massive battery. The Rivian standard battery is a 135 kWh with the upcoming large battery 180 kWh.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:49 AM

11,867 posts, read 8,961,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Bloomberg is reporting today that the BEV Silverado will have a range of 400-450 miles, weighs 8,000 pounds and does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. Production is underway and deliveries to commercial customers are expected to start 2023/Q3. Battery packs keep growing towards the 100kWh mark.

Still pretty danged heavy, but GM's Hummer EV weighs 9,500lb if I recall. The ICE Silverado 1500 is about 5,000lb, for comparison.

I read somewhere that the Stellantis/Ram EV pickup will have a maximum battery size of 230kWh, which is pretty on-brand for them. They are just phasing out all these heavy hemi ICE cars with 700+ horsepower - so excess is their thing.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:50 PM

10,134 posts, read 6,549,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post

I read somewhere that the Stellantis/Ram EV pickup will have a maximum battery size of 230kWh, which is pretty on-brand for them. They are just phasing out all these heavy hemi ICE cars with 700+ horsepower - so excess is their thing.
CAFE fines are crazy stiff.

Previously, Chrysler missed the CAFE by .2mpg. That's a fifth of a mile per gallon. (Or, about a thousand feet.)

Cost them $50,000,000...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC