Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 08:06 PM

17,466 posts, read 17,280,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I had an '89 Sunbird that had the 2.0L OHC. That was a rough and noisy little engine.

My sister had a '95 Grand Am, and that was the first year they used balance shafts in the Quad 4. I don't remember it being all that bad.

GM also had a SOHC version of that same engine that they used in the base model Grand Am from '92-'94. I think they called it Quad OHC.
Did your sister have the Sunbird new or second hand? My driver’s ed car was a new 1984 Sunbird with the 1.8P OHC. At the time it didn’t feel nor sound rough. In 1988 I got a Buick Skyhawk with the 2.0L OHV engine and it felt as smooth as that 1.8L OHC, but it had many more years and miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I had a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am with the quad 4 and automatic transmission. I only kept it a couple of years, because the sedan body style severely limited what cargo I could carry. This was the last sedan I owned, and the 1988 Mercury Tracer wagon that I had previously was the last vehicle I owned with manual transmission.

The quad 4 was a nice engine. While it only got 24 mpg on 91 octane (The Tracer got 30+ mpg on 89 octane), the extra power was much appreciated. I could enter freeways with a part-throttle downshift, instead of full-throttle shifts near the redline. The balance shafts were nice, too. Inline 4s need balance shafts. My 2019 Buick Encore 1.4L direct injection engine does not have balance shafts, and I can feel the vibrations. The Buick gets 26.5 mpg on 93 octane, and is about as quick as the Pontiac was. However, there is a lag at full-throttle starts until the turbo has time to spool up.
When I was looking at the late 90s Malibu I considered the quad 4 based four cylinder or the V6, both with roughly the same horsepower. I went with the V6 for the torque, smooth running, and roughly the same fuel economy. Why have the 4 cylinder for nearly the same fuel economy as the V6?

Old 07-20-2023, 06:08 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
When I was looking at the late 90s Malibu I considered the quad 4 based four cylinder or the V6, both with roughly the same horsepower. I went with the V6 for the torque, smooth running, and roughly the same fuel economy. Why have the 4 cylinder for nearly the same fuel economy as the V6?
The Sunbird was mine. It was used. It ran great, just rather crude. I think the lack of an overdrive gear just exacerbated it.

The OHV that was used in the Cavalier seemed a little smoother, but still noisy.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The Sunbird was mine. It was used. It ran great, just rather crude. I think the lack of an overdrive gear just exacerbated it.

The OHV that was used in the Cavalier seemed a little smoother, but still noisy.
That 2.0L OHV was fun in the Skyhawk because of the 4 speed manual. Was faster than my first car, a 78 Camaro with 250 CID inline 6. One cylinder was dead so I was running on 5 cylinders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC