Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 12:49 PM

36,920 posts, read 38,838,960 times

Advertisements

https://insideevs.com/news/692994/ev...r-lfp-battery/

Another confirmation that the Bolt is coming back and with the added tidbit that it will be using a LFP battery with the Ultium platform. I very much hope they bring this in hatchback form and not solely in the crossover form, but signs seem to point to just the crossover coming back. That's a real bummer as it would have been nice if the Bolt comes back on Ultium with a LFP as a standard one, and then a hot hatch trim on ternary batteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 01:19 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,252,951 times
The LFP reduces the risk of fire even more AND it lowers the cost of the battery pack, which should mean holding the line on pricing (starting at $26-27k) which keeps it one tier below the Equinox EV. Even if the range doesn't change, the addition of faster charging will be a HUGE deal for a lot of people. It seems at this price point and size, the Bolt is really hitting the consumer sweet spot.

The '22 upgrades were pretty decent, and there really doesn't need to be too much change in spec or styling to be competitive against cars like the CR-V, Rav4, etc.

Really one of the biggest negatives will be if GM decides to actually drop AA/CarPlay. That's going to turn off a LOT of buyers (including this buyer, which is why I'm glad I bought mine instead of leasing. I can hang onto it longer and see what really happens next).

Old 10-24-2023, 05:00 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,241,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
The LFP reduces the risk of fire even more AND it lowers the cost of the battery pack, which should mean holding the line on pricing (starting at $26-27k) which keeps it one tier below the Equinox EV. Even if the range doesn't change, the addition of faster charging will be a HUGE deal for a lot of people. It seems at this price point and size, the Bolt is really hitting the consumer sweet spot.

The '22 upgrades were pretty decent, and there really doesn't need to be too much change in spec or styling to be competitive against cars like the CR-V, Rav4, etc.

Really one of the biggest negatives will be if GM decides to actually drop AA/CarPlay. That's going to turn off a LOT of buyers (including this buyer, which is why I'm glad I bought mine instead of leasing. I can hang onto it longer and see what really happens next).
From everything I've read, LFP batteries *should* have a longer lifespan and be less sensitive to hot climates. If I ever do decide to go full EV, it'll likely be one with one of these batteries.

One of my issues with GM EVs is the fact that there isn't much thermal management when the vehicle is off and unplugged. They recommend in the owners manual to keep it plugged in if the temp is over 90F, but that's not realistic for most people who drive their cars to work.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
From everything I've read, LFP batteries *should* have a longer lifespan and be less sensitive to hot climates. If I ever do decide to go full EV, it'll likely be one with one of these batteries.

One of my issues with GM EVs is the fact that there isn't much thermal management when the vehicle is off and unplugged. They recommend in the owners manual to keep it plugged in if the temp is over 90F, but that's not realistic for most people who drive their cars to work.
The Bolt will cool the battery even if not plugged in as long as you have sufficient state of charge (I think it was 40%) though it will let the battery get hotter than it would normally before cooling compared to when plugged in. It's essentially juggling if it's better to be at a low state of charge for longer or to have higher battery temperatures when not plugged in in order to preserve the battery life as well as not strand the driver. GM did a good job with the BMS, and other things, on the Bolt, which is part of why I'm not down on GM despite the much slower than expected roll-out of Ultium vehicles.

I am displeased though that they have indicated moving forward only with the EUV crossover and haven't said anything about the EV hatchback because I really like the EV hatchback.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-24-2023 at 05:24 PM..

Old 10-24-2023, 05:35 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,241,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The Bolt will cool the battery even if not plugged in as long as you have sufficient state of charge (I think it was 40%) though it will let the battery get hotter than it would normally before cooling compared to when plugged in. It's essentially juggling if it's better to be at a low state of charge for longer or to have higher battery temperatures when not plugged in in order to preserve the battery life as well as not strand the driver. GM did a good job with the BMS, and other things, on the Bolt, which is part of why I'm not down on GM despite the much slower than expected roll-out of Ultium vehicles.

I am displeased though that they have indicated moving forward only with the EUV crossover and haven't said anything about the EV hatchback because I really like the EV hatchback.
I read somewhere awhile back what the threshold is for plugged vs unplugged, but I can't recall the numbers now. I've browsed the Bolt forum for a few years, and most people say they've never heard the battery cooling happening while unplugged, even if it's 100f outside. I can say the same for my Volt.

Old 10-25-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I read somewhere awhile back what the threshold is for plugged vs unplugged, but I can't recall the numbers now. I've browsed the Bolt forum for a few years, and most people say they've never heard the battery cooling happening while unplugged, even if it's 100f outside. I can say the same for my Volt.
The Volt is a different vehicle from the Bolt. Battery cooling does happen with the Bolt when unplugged provided you're above what seems to be 40% SOC, it's just that the threshold is higher before it turns on than were it plugged. I've read somewhere that it also kicks in at *very* high temperatures even if you're below 40% SOC, but I've never seen it. Places far hotter in ambient temperature (like Phoenix area or Imperial Valley) than where you are have Bolt owners chiming in on forums about having almost no degradation which is in strong contrast to Leaf owners. I can't quite remember where I redd it though.

Old 10-25-2023, 12:43 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,252,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Places far hotter in ambient temperature (like Phoenix area or Imperial Valley) than where you are have Bolt owners chiming in on forums about having almost no degradation which is in strong contrast to Leaf owners.

Part of that is that, while Bolts don't seem to run the cooling unless plugged in or driving, the Leafs don't do thermal management at all. Both cars might get ambient temp batteries when sitting (since neither has batteries in direct sunlight, they won't get really much over ambient temps) the Leaf gets hot while being used AND charged TOO, while Bolts are cooled while driving. So you're definitely going to see longer battery life out of them.

Old 12-05-2023, 09:48 AM

266 posts, read 63,476 times
https://electrek.co/2023/12/05/gm-co...chevy-bolt-ev/

Old 12-05-2023, 04:12 PM

11,929 posts, read 9,012,068 times
Glad to hear that GM still plans to follow through on the Gen2 Bolt - Ultium edition, and the LFP batteries make perfect sense too. The Equinox EV is a bigger car of course, but last I heard, it will run $35k-$53k.

Old 12-05-2023, 07:04 PM

21,642 posts, read 24,768,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Glad to hear that GM still plans to follow through on the Gen2 Bolt - Ultium edition, and the LFP batteries make perfect sense too. The Equinox EV is a bigger car of course, but last I heard, it will run $35k-$53k.
Starts at 49k. GM says there will be a cheaper 35k one sometime in the future but, well, Ford, Rivian, GM, Tesla... all the cool kids deliver their EVs late with big markups. With the Blazer/Equinox both rolling out with 16k and 19k price hikes respectively and Hummer EV sales down 80-85% from irrelevant to neck and neck race with Bugatti for number of vehicles sold (albeit that's globally so Bugatti has an unfair advantage), GM could really use something other than a big fatty L when it comes to their EVs. Joking aside, they had a less terrible Q3 and only missed forecasts by 50% on the Hummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC