Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 11:34 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,544,645 times

Advertisements

According to CEO Mary Barra, the Bolt will be back:

“Our customers love today's Bolt. It has been delivering record sales and some of the highest customer satisfaction and loyalty scores in the industry," said Barra. "It's also an important source of conquest sales for the company and for Chevrolet. We will keep the momentum going by delivering a new Bolt… and we will execute it more quickly compared to an all-new program with significantly lower engineering expense and capital investment by updating the vehicle with Ultium and Ultifi technologies and by applying our 'winning with simplicity' discipline," Barra said.

Mods: I posted this in the Bolt is dead thread as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 02:19 PM

21,828 posts, read 25,094,690 times
https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...chevrolet.html

Yup, new generation timing and price to follow. Sounds like they are just starting the project though. Not sure how long that will take even on an accelerated basis. I'd expect at least a few years. Blog stuff seems to think it also means that GM is not cancelling the current Bolt but I don't really know where they're getting that from. Stay tuned, I guess.

Old 07-25-2023, 04:29 PM

12,361 posts, read 9,462,379 times
Of course the devil will be in the details. However, the Bolt has a good brand, and it's been selling pretty well even as it rides off into the sunset. If GM can keep the essence of the Bolt - a reasonably priced, small, practical electric hatchback, but update and improve it**, I think the market will welcome the Ultium Bolt.

** say with enhanced range and charging speed, greater ride comfort - perfectly doable stuff

Old 07-25-2023, 05:12 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
The only real complaints I've heard is about the charging speed, and the seats.

I don't particularly care for the styling, but that's just me.

Old 07-26-2023, 09:15 AM

26,205 posts, read 49,007,205 times
Bloomberg is reporting this:

"...GM is keeping the name and updating the vehicle. From the sounds of it, the company will use lots of hardware from the existing car and energize it with an Ultium battery pack in a low-cost and quick play to get a new version into production."

"GM says it can’t build enough Bolts to meet current demand."

"Production is crawling up to speed, with GM still working through bottlenecks. The latest is with the supplier of automation equipment that will package Ultium cells into modules. Barra said GM is sending its own experts to help, and that she has personally paid a visit. The Bolt name can still find buyers, and an Ultium battery will make it a better car. But first, GM has to iron out problems that have stood in the way of its EV momentum."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:17 AM

21,828 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Bloomberg is reporting this:

"...GM is keeping the name and updating the vehicle. From the sounds of it, the company will use lots of hardware from the existing car and energize it with an Ultium battery pack in a low-cost and quick play to get a new version into production."

"GM says it can’t build enough Bolts to meet current demand."

"Production is crawling up to speed, with GM still working through bottlenecks. The latest is with the supplier of automation equipment that will package Ultium cells into modules. Barra said GM is sending its own experts to help, and that she has personally paid a visit. The Bolt name can still find buyers, and an Ultium battery will make it a better car. But first, GM has to iron out problems that have stood in the way of its EV momentum."
Sounds like similar issues that Tesla had, and is still having, with 4680.

I'm still not really sure what it all means. Particularly if GM is in a similar spot as Tesla an doesn't know how to make the new batteries yet at scale, it'd be nice if they kept the existing Bolt/EUV around a few more years. It's taken Tesla a long time and I don't think they've even now really got it down. Obviously as a consumer you'd rather see GM keep making the non-Ultium Bolts rather than cancel them and then there be another hiatus of who knows how long. I mean, they probably have to do some retooling of the lines which is going to take some amount of time but continuing to make them right up until they do retool rather than stopping production, idling the lines for 6, 12, 24 or whatever months while they working on learning how to make Ultium batteries. From a business sense that not make sense anymore. The Bolt most likely lands in the category of EVs that are far from profitable and part of transition period where the companies learn how to make EVs and in doing so incur losses. Might just be time to cut the Bolt. It's been pretty successful in terms of market penetration for GM and they've probably learned what they can from it by now so it's time to stop losing money making them.

Last edited by Malloric; 07-26-2023 at 10:29 AM..

Old 07-26-2023, 01:26 PM

The Bolt was introduced as a 2017 model in calendar year 2016. In a fast evolving tech landscape, that was a long time ago. I wouldn't be at all surprised if an Ultium Bolt could increase EPA range from 250mi to 300mi, and maximum Level 3 DC-fast charging rate from 55kW to 350kW without needing to increase the MSRP. These would be material improvements in powertrain capabilities. They could also take another cut at the aesthetics of the exterior - some people do like it, but it's been a little polarizing.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:59 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,544,645 times
I’ve seen it up close. It was nicer in person than in the pix, I recall thinking when I went to see it, especially the dash and cockpit area. Nice.

At a relatively low cost, say around 28-30k, this car would sell big time if they made it easy to buy and had gobs of them ready to sell. I think it has already surprised Chevy how well it sold.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:34 PM

30,391 posts, read 21,210,559 times
My Bolt is still sitting at the dealer when i traded it last Aug for a C6 Vette. Never had anything wrong with the car but missed having a Vette.

Odd that no dealers around me are selling any with a stop sale order for a year now.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I’ve seen it up close. It was nicer in person than in the pix, I recall thinking when I went to see it, especially the dash and cockpit area. Nice.

At a relatively low cost, say around 28-30k, this car would sell big time if they made it easy to buy and had gobs of them ready to sell. I think it has already surprised Chevy how well it sold.
Chevy did improve the car with the 2022 model year refresh and they lowered the price too - that doesn't normally happen. Plus the EV market is just bigger in 2023 than it was in 2016 - you've got more people willing to take a chance on their first EV, it's more mainstream now.

There isn't much competition - you've got the Hyundai Kona EV but that's more expensive, and then you've got the Nissan Leaf but that is really lame, and finally you've got the Mazda MX-30 but that is comically lame.

Unless and until the Tesla Model 2 is introduced, there is definitely an opening at the entry level EV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC