Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:00 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Why would you want a Corvette? Those things are a danger to everyone around them, they encourage bad driving, and they'll flip over at the sight of a kitten....

With all due respect my dear you have no clue...

Corvettes for years are capable of performing over 1 G turns..which in terms you can understand means they corner extremely well and are NOT prone to over turns.

Your OPINIONS are NOT supported by the facts.

Hmm...I just noticed the wink smilely....you're kidding right ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 07:23 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Getting back to the original topic - what model years are you interested in? Corvettes especially you'll find a lot of them old enough to vote but in excellent condition none the less.

Take a look in Hemmings Motor News as well, you will find every year from 53 to 08 for sale. Even buying new, you'll find several dealers who deal in volume to enthusiasts and can give you a better price. Most people who have the newer cars that I know anyway have not needed warrenty repairs.

The points about buying near the end of a month near the end of the model year are well taken. As is the point about buying into a lifestyle more than buying a car. Much like a Harley.

The only downside of the Corvette is it's not at all rare, (not a big deal to me, but important to some people) and that the tires are not particularly cheap or long-lived (good tires are essential to a performance car, by nature they are expensive and the soft compound wears fairly quickly - only accountants who prefer late model Impalas are put off by the Corvette's tire habit..) Unless you succumb to Tourette's Syndrome of the Right Foot and crash the damn thing, or buy a bad older car, or a newer one that's been flooded or crash-reconstructed, I don't see you regretting buying the Vette.

There *are* "fright pigs" that you should run away from out there in the market, but there are a lot of good cars from all vintages too, I would encourage you to attend a show or meet of some sort and see what good specimens look like.

Any good car, well bought, you can sell for a small loss after a few years if you decide it's not for you. This is more true for the older models, but even one 4-5 years old (and you should find plenty of these in like-new condition) should not beat you up much on resale. Buy the right car from about 72 and earlier (and realizing the top-line engine options on these are not particularly practical for frequent driving on today's pump gas) and you should make a little money when you sell. The 71 and 72 cars were built for unleaded gas, due to a change in how horspower was measured (net vs gross) the numbers are less impressive so they don't command the prices of earlier cars, but they have the chrome bumpers and even in dead-stock form are decent performers.

You didn't say what state you are in. If you are in CA, a car earlier than 1975 can skip smog inspections -

Old 08-07-2008, 01:35 AM

301 posts, read 1,546,716 times
Stay away from C4s.Loaded with all kinds of problems.I could start a list 3 pages long.Right now C5s with decent mileage can be picked up for under 20k.Get a small block and drive it.They get good mpgs.With the current money issues most are facing these days,there are some deals to be had.When things get tight the toys have to go first.If looking at older Vettes try to find one I think its 72 back,that still had chrome bumpers.They dropped the front bumper for rubber first .I have been watching for a C5 myself with both tops.Mileage dosen't bother me.E-bay at times is a good source for what the market is willing to pay.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:56 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Yeah, I'd stay away from a C4 too, mostly because they have the structural rigidity of a spaghetti noodle, which is not what you want when you're trying to manage up to 330HP. The difference between a C4 and C5 in terms of body flex is night and day. I'd stick with a C5 or C6.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:32 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you want something newer the C4 cars are great bargains. I personally like their looks better than the current C5 model, but I guess that's just me.

I personally would have one with a proper 6-speed, you'll pay more for the manual but will recover the $ on resale.

Actually the new 'vettes are IIRC selling pretty well, so GM is not inclined to discount them.
WADR, your information isn't accurate.

1. The current Corvette is the C6 model.
2. 6-speed doesn't cost any more than an automatic (and less than the paddle-shifting auto).
3. GM is offering 0% financing on Corvette models, and you can negotiate substantial discounts off of MSRP from dealerships.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 AM

78,355 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Why would you want a Corvette? Those things are a danger to everyone around them, they encourage bad driving, and they'll flip over at the sight of a kitten....

Curse those kittens!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
With all due respect my dear you have no clue...

Corvettes for years are capable of performing over 1 G turns..which in terms you can understand means they corner extremely well and are NOT prone to over turns.

Your OPINIONS are NOT supported by the facts.

Hmm...I just noticed the wink smilely....you're kidding right ??
Yeah, Sterling is hitting me with an "in-joke" from an old thread. Totally a joke. (and a pretty good one)

Old 08-07-2008, 07:22 AM

OK, with the information gathered....I'm probably considering a used C6 (unless I can get a good deal on a new C6) which should narrow the scope of the discussion down.

I REALLY appreciate all the good advice.

I live in Kansas so I have to look at what their personal property tax would run on it annually. I would consider new still...have to see what they are offering....I can go the 0% financing route or write a check so that gives me flexibility to work something out.

I'm really not into the whole club thing (or at least not yet lol) maybe I need to wait a few years until my kids get a bit older so I can kinda take off on a Sat. afternoon and not have to hunt up a sitter.

General idea would be a few road trips, something fun to get out in etc.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Quote:

Why a corvette? To pick up chicks of course. The vette makes them wet.

For $50k I am pretty sure this guy is not interested in a C4, or even a C5 for that matter. Heck you can pick up a good condition C4 easily for less than $10k.

I will refer him to the corvette forum for the rest of his questions. A wealth of information. C6, which is what he wants, has it's own forum:
C6 Corvette Forum | 2005 Corvette | Pictures | Photos | Forum | Forums

Old 08-07-2008, 07:27 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,274,776 times
IMO, the C5 catapulted the Vette into supercar performance territory. The combination of handling and power and even gas mileage is hard to match for any price. Find me a car that can have 500HP and 30MPG. If you like convertibles, the C5 was designed from the ground up to be one, not just a cut up hard top. I found a low lies used modified car for low $30s, probably close to half of a new one. Don't forget to wave. The forum has a for sale section that you can find nice cars in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC