Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 12:17 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,944,411 times

Advertisements

It's platform at least. The GM product-swapping guru's are putting the 'Slade on the Lambda Platform(Enclave, Outlook, Lambda, Acadia). I'm just waiting for the SAAB and Pontiac's version.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/08/i...-to-go-lambda/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 01:14 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,721,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
It's platform at least. The GM product-swapping guru's are putting the 'Slade on the Lambda Platform(Enclave, Outlook, Lambda, Acadia). I'm just waiting for the SAAB and Pontiac's version.
Interesting article, Brikag.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:49 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,767,684 times
Men won't line up in droves to buy 'em anymore, that's for sure. The ol' Escalade is being emasculated, snip snip...

Old 09-08-2008, 02:09 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,969,830 times
Bad idea! People that buy Escalades are saying they have the money and don't mind spending it (or they would have bought a Tahoe). Is GM clueless on marketing?

Old 09-08-2008, 03:33 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,708,932 times
Not a good idea. People who buy the Escalade want a large, luxurious, and powerful SUV, not a midsize crossover. If they want such a vehicle, Cadillac offers the crossover SRX. I feel if Cadillac does happen to make the Escalade smaller, potential buyers are going to look towards the Land Rover Range Rover and Lincoln Navigator as alternatives.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:57 PM

812 posts, read 4,086,235 times
When folks look thru the halls of American car history, they usually cringe or shake their head a little when they reach that time in the late 1970's when dimensions and/or power were slashed and regard them as the end of the good ol' era. The hot Caddy of yesterday, the Eldorado, was neutered similarly, and lost much of its appeal. It was a fine looking car still, but wasn't an Eldorado.

With that in mind and with most of the luxury buying population old enough to remember those days, I wonder how customers will take it. I can see many folks looking at it and making the connection to that dark time in auto history.

It seems like the prudent company would do anything it could to not draw any sort of parallel to that time.

Maybe they would rather have the public wean themselves off of the Escalade out of lack of appeal once neutered as opposed to deal with the outcry that would ensue if it would simply be dropped.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:45 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,169,537 times
Tande1n5, I remember the downsizing of the Eldorado in the late '70s. It was apalling. If I remember right, the sales of the Eldo fell by 60%. One of the Cadillac car salesman told me that he couldn't give them away. That was a completely stupid decision GM made for such a car. Buyers of that car wanted a large comfortable car and ended up going to Lincoln for the Mark V.

If they downsize the Escalade, it could be another debacle like that. Why does it need to be downsized? There's enough of smaller vehicles on the market to choose from already. The key is to have a decent selection of vehicles to suit all tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC