Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:57 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times

Advertisements

I'm looking foward on seeing the grand national on the new fast and furious. I want one of these mean looking 1987 Buicks. I have seen some priced over 100k.

Yahoo! Video Detail for Fast and Furious 4 Trailer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 01:30 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
dude! it's not worth sitting through that stupid piece of **** of a movie just to see some ******* wreck a GNX.

boycott this movie in theatres and then rent it only for the comedic qualities of it's gross misrepresentations of reality - automotive and general.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:37 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
dude! it's not worth sitting through that stupid piece of **** of a movie just to see some ******* wreck a GNX.

boycott this movie in theatres and then rent it only for the comedic qualities of it's gross misrepresentations of reality - automotive and general.
Since when are movies even a remote representation of reality? If you boycott any movie that was even slightly off of fact there's be very few to watch.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:56 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
Dude I'm so there. The movies are pure eye candy, escapism, etc. They offer some funny moments for gear heads too! Just the quotes alone from the first one are a riot.

I like the fact they've been putting some domestic muscle in the movies too, even though I'm an import fan. Another cool thing is to check out the pure rice in the parking lot when you go. Simply awesome.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:15 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Well first off the GN used in the new F&F movie is not an 87...it's either an 84 or an 85. And that's depending on which car you're referring to. So I have heard one or two of the actual cars were GN's while the rest were basic Regals that were cloned up to look like a GN.

And they don't cost $100k....right now in this recession we're in, nice 84-85 GN's are going for about $10k for a nice one, and an average one maybe $6k. An 86-87 GN, which are the more desirable ones due to an intercooler and more parts avaliability are going for double than that in mind shape, but you can pick them up as cheap as $8k in good shape.

And the car they used in the movie is CERTAINLY not a GNX...which are too limited in number (only 547 produced) and are expensive. Like upwards of $50k expensive.

What still gets me is how the producers of Hollywood dubbed over the turbo 6 sound of the actual GN engine in favor of a V8 sound. Before you ask, no GN's ever came with V8's....or twin turbos.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:43 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
well, i"ll be watching it, either from home or at theater ( usually at home--prefer my own big screen and sound system over crowds ). I don't care if a car is shifting too many times, or it's computer generated chase scenes, or for that matter if warriors can walk on trees or soldiers slay dragons. It's all about escaping for a couple hours from the crap going on in the world today. So if that means spend a few bucks, kick back with a large bowl of popcorn, and let the mind wander that that's fine with me.

As for car movies, there really have been few that are truly authentic, but that doesn't mean most can't be enjoyed. There were some great cruising scenes in "Hollywood Knights", doesn't mean that the actual race scenes were legit.... "Two Lane Blacktop" has some nice drag scenes w/ it's 55 Chevy, but the movie itself is a slow paced character piece. Sorry, got side-tracked...

Old 04-02-2009, 01:22 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
im not saying that movies have to be realistic all the time. what im saying is that, like the first three installments, this is going to be a crap movie.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:03 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
The people that are actually involved in real life in movie subjects are the most critical of them, those that aren't don't know any better. I was a volly firefighter for 25 years, the 2 big firefighting movies (Backdraft and Ladder 49) weren't even remotely realistic, didn't stop me from enjoying them.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:52 PM

625 posts, read 4,569,989 times
I've always loved Grand Nationals...the car had a fairly central role on the NBC show "Life" earlier this season-it was nice to see one of these old classics again.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:18 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Muscle cars are V8's, not turbo V6's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC